Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times

Advertisements

Hi. Forgive me if this is a repeat topic, but I couldn't find an applicable thread. Feel free to redirect me to one if there is.

My goal is to lose about 15 pounds. Weight loss, not aerobic fitness, is really my goal, although I'm certainly not opposed to aerobic fitness.

Here is my story. I'm starting to do some running on my treadmill. I hate running - with a passion. I already work out 3x/week at something called StrollerStrides and it's not intense enough. We do a lot of band work, so I have resistance training there, but the cardio aspect is pretty absent from this. So, I'm trying to make friends with my treadmill. Right now, I'm walking 1 minute, then running for 2 minutes and so on. I get on it for 10-15 minutes at a time. For those of you who run and/or have lost weight running, is this a reasonable thing? I figure I'll slowly start extending the runs, but I've no desire to turn into some long-distance runner. I'm doing it this way because of my hatred for running and I figured that building up slowly is the way to go. My husband thinks I'm insane and that I should just suck it up and run for 15-20 minutes, if not a half-hour.

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm happy to give more info if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
I hate running on a treadmill..and really my mottos is "why run if someone isnt chasing you!" yes i did borrow that from back to the future.
Ive found a alternative to the treadmill and track that has worked better and faster for me..go to the local track and run bleachers. Start out walking them and then run a few then walk a few. it wont take long to be able to run say three sets up and down with a rest in between about 10 times...takes about 30 minutes.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
If you hate running that much, is there some other exercise you might like better that can give you the same workout? It's going to be hard sticking to something you hate doing so much.
That being said, I used to hate running and wondered why in the world anyone would do it.
I started running due to mitral valve prolapse - it actually keeps me from having symptoms.

I now love running and run at least 4 miles a day. I will have to say, running on a treadmill does suck. I much prefer running outside.

Starting out slow is the way to go. I would think though, that for weight loss, you really need to do it for more than 15 or 20 minutes. I read somewhere long ago that your body doesn't start going into the reserves until at least 20 minutes.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM

540 posts, read 1,909,833 times
I also started running a few weeks ago and I hate running with a passion also. Even the thought of it disgusts me. Anyways, I am not built at all to run but since I've been doing it my stamina has increased and I can go a further distance as opposed to before I would get really winded really fast. I burn calories faster by running too. I was able to lose 2.2 lbs. in three days by cutting calories and running. And I'm not talking marathon runs either. Just simple runs, like a short distance for 3-4 minutes. I will start out walking, then run for a few minutes then go back to walking then sprint when close to home. I feel this gives me a great workout without overdoing it. I took my wife to the local track and she tried running also and she was just like me when I started out, she was winded and out of breathe real fast, while I was able to keep my pace and keep going a further distance. I've never been a runner in the past either, so I feel I'm building my stamina up. It feels great afterwards too!
so whatever your husband said, don't listen to him but listen to what your body tells you. Push yourself also but don't go extreme, know your limits also. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
I hated the idea that running could possibly ruin my knees and is hard on joints.....I fell in love with the eliptical....same results (comparably) as running but without the harsh impact....

Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
I know this sounds very simple, but did you try downloading some of your favorite tunes that have the beat of around the same speed of your running steps. It makes the time fly by and since it correlates the activity that you don't like with something that you do, you could start liking it.

It's at least worth a try.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I know this sounds very simple, but did you try downloading some of your favorite tunes that have the beat of around the same speed of your running steps. It makes the time fly by and since it correlates the activity that you don't like with something that you do, you could start liking it.

It's at least worth a try.
When I did run..i used "Call me the Breeze" by lynryd skynryd

Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
lol......"Eye of the tiger" now that'll get ya pumped!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
lol......"Eye of the tiger" now that'll get ya pumped!
if only it would get me pumped to do some work! bump..bump bump bump....risin up!

the whole soundtrack to rockyiv used to be on my ipod..great motivator to run/workout

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
fjtee, think how good it's gonna feel when you start to feel and see results! and especially the accomplishments by doing something you hate. i hate running, too, but i quickly saw my endurance increase and changes to my body. but the best part was that i stuck with something that was pointless and boring. and it showed how much determination i had. now that was motivating!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness