Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:12 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

I can't ever seem to get back to a strong desire to exercise....it just feels like such a chore, even when I do what I like to do.

Do some of you JUST DO IT anyway even when you don't feel like it.

I need some suggestions.

My eating can be under full control, but I lose very little to no weight without adding essential exercise, which I am struggling with.

Thank you!,

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Yes, there are some mornings when the LAST thing I feel like doing is going out for my run. But I do it because I've been doing it so long, the guilt I feel when I come up with a lame excuse isn't worth it.

It takes a while to build a habit. You just have to keep at it. But that doesn't mean that every day you'll wake up thinking, "can't wait to exercise!". You won't necessarily. But once you start seeing the results from a consistent routine, you'll want to do it.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 AM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Yup, you just have to make yourself do it. Some days running or going to the gym is the highlight of my day, and other days its the last thing I want to do. You just have to make yourself go and do it anyway. Its kind of like waking up in the morning for work...no one wants to get out of bed and go in, but you have to. There are some days I skip (I skipped my run on Thursday because I was exhausted and have some blisters from new shoes), but on days where I don't feel like going and go anyway, I almost always feel a lot better and am really glad I went.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
if you dont have one, find a training partner, its good motivation.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I think its more fun when its a sport and just being active.
HATE the gym only type workouts.

I get so BORED.

You can lose weight without exercise. You just wont look as great and you have to eat less.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:15 PM

77 posts, read 283,007 times
I have been exercising for a little over 2 years now and in the beginning I had to force myself to go. It is now a habit. I still don't love it but I always feel really good when I'm done and when you see results it does make you want workout more. Just stick to it and after about a couple of months it will be habit. Also having something to look forward to like a vacation you want to look good for helps. My motivation 2 years ago that got me started working out was I had gotten engaged.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Thanks guys. I used to exercise much more before I had children. It is harder when your life doesn't center around yourself anymore! But I know I can be a better mom, more positive and energetic, when I can get in better shape and lose some weight. I feel like my life is in control in most areas, but this is the one area I really let slide and don't put as much effort into and that should be bothering me more than it has!

Dawn

Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times
I have just recently started exercising. I like you don't find it enjoyable. I do, however, make myself do it. I use "It's Not an Option" when I especially feel like not going. A lot of times I get home from work and am almost feel like passing out/falling asleep in the chair. The last thing like I feel like doing is exercising. Then I tell myself it's not an option and I go and do it, and suprisingly I feel invigorated during and after. I'm still in the beginning stages of my exercise routine, but this is the longest I've stuck with it. Also, I'm one of those that gets home and doesn't want to go anywhere. I have a membership to a gym, but I never use it. I just say when I'm really into exercise then I'll go or when it gets cold out. So for now I go and walk/run in my neighborhood. It's a lot easier for me to go out and do it then have to get in my car and go somewhere. Just stick with it and you'll do it. Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
I hate exercising, but I love the results and it's just a part of my life.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
I've gotten to where I'm exercising regularly and actually look forward to it because I feel so much better when I work out and have more energy for other things. My problem is controlling the eating. I know I take in way more calories than I'm expending. Makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness