Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

I been doing pushups again for a month, im starting too see some definition on my shoulders, but i wanted to know if pushups would give me some definition and a lil bulk on my arms, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I been doing pushups again for a month, im starting too see some definition on my shoulders, but i wanted to know if pushups would give me some definition and a lil bulk on my arms, please let me know.

Not really. Lift weights.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
yes they can.. and there quite a few different ways to do them as well..id rather lift weights though
How Many Push-Ups Does it Take to get to the Center of an Awesome Upper Body? « TotalTransformationTest

Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Pushups mainly work your pecks, which are in your chest, and your triceps to some degree also. Triceps make up a lot of your upper arm, but in order to really increase your bulk you'll need to also work you biceps and forearms, which pushups (or at least the standard variety) don't do.

As said above, lift some weights. The good news is that you can increase your arm bulk quite a bit with just some free weights and a bench.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
In the beginning, any exercise will give you some results because it is a new stressor on the muscle involved. You can't expect this to continue because you will need to increase intensity more and more in order to keep making gains. Intensity is as sinple as adding weight among other things. So adding weight= lift weights. It's a matter of time when you will hit a plateau.

If you're dead set on pushups, I would try adding a weight to your back when they get easier. May even want to throw in close grip under hand chin ups while you're at it for the biceps. good luck

Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times
Default Push-ups are great

I've been doing push-ups since I was big enough to eat. I think the real benefit of a push-up is the cardboard tube that holds the delicious orange/vanilla ice cream and keeps it from drippin' on my fat belly oh wait....you mean down on the ground and sweat......nope, I take it back. Push-ups stink.....Go to the gym

Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post

definitly......push-ups are an awesome way to tone or even contribute to bulking your arms, chest, shoulders and back depending on the form you use.....

Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
I think pull-ups are a great way to stat working out, but weight training is much better. Once you get to the point where you can do 40 pretty easy it's time to start hitting the weights.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,515 times
We call pushups.chinups,situps, ghetto exercises that work very well in defining muscles...try a exercise band around your back and under your hands when doing pushups or a wieght belt to kick it up a notch!!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I started doing decline pushups ( feet on a bench, with hands on the floor ) and dips for my chest workout a few weeks ago. Prior to this, I had been doing mostly incline dumbell press with heavy weights ( 6 reps ) and using a chest machine for my chest workout. Over time, I started developing a stiffness/soreness in the area where the deltoid and pecs come together and I had to decrease the amount of weight I could handle. Even with the decreasing weights, the soreness remained, and my workout was not giving me much of a pump. I shifted to the pushup and dips combination and that has revived my chest workout for the time being anyway. I'm getting a good pump once again, and the soreness is beginning to alleviate. Based on my experience, I think that pushups definitely have a place in a good chest routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness