Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM

10 posts, read 22,501 times

Advertisements

I used P90x from January 1 to March 31 2008....90 days!

I was in better shape at the end at the beginning but I didn't have abs of any sort at the end mostly which I attribute to the fact that I didn't follow the meal plan.

Full disclosure: I KNEW there'd be no way I would have stuck with it on my own so I paid a personal trainer $20 a day to show up at my house at 7AM six days a week. After the first week she was essentially a babysitter since I knew the routines. Laugh if you must but have YOU ever stuck with a 90 day exercise program?

You could set up a similar arrangement with a friend so you wouldn't have to pay.

I found my trainer on Craigslist.

Tough question on the 53 year old...I'd not recommend you start there I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM

191 posts, read 404,460 times
My wife & I just started phase 2 (second 4 weeks) last night & we love it. It was a little difficult through the holidays but we managed to keep it up. We worked out on new years eve & new years day. We are in our mid 40's & have never worked out on either of those days. We mostly use resistance bands intead of pull ups & weights & they work very well.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,200,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoneyMan-Leo View Post
I used P90x from January 1 to March 31 2008....90 days!

I was in better shape at the end at the beginning but I didn't have abs of any sort at the end mostly which I attribute to the fact that I didn't follow the meal plan.

Full disclosure: I KNEW there'd be no way I would have stuck with it on my own so I paid a personal trainer $20 a day to show up at my house at 7AM six days a week. After the first week she was essentially a babysitter since I knew the routines. Laugh if you must but have YOU ever stuck with a 90 day exercise program?

You could set up a similar arrangement with a friend so you wouldn't have to pay.

I found my trainer on Craigslist.

Tough question on the 53 year old...I'd not recommend you start there I guess.
You really can't expect much if you don't follow the whole program INCLUDING the nutrition plan. My biggest tip would be to get involved in the Beachbody forum threads for advice and guidance, particularly during your first round. Many people then just continue on to do another round, and another.

You don't need to pay someone - just get up and do it. No excuse, no wimping out - just DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM

275 posts, read 1,542,470 times
I did P90x and just finished up the first week in Dec 09. I started off at 164 and I'm now at 144! I'm also now wearing a size 8 and can prb squeeze into a 6 in some things. Beware, this program requires a great deal of commitment. Now I don't have a six pack, but I had some layers of fat to cut through first. Lol. After 2 babies, it happens! I'm getting ready to start another program...Insanity. No, that's the actual name of the program.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,977,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettogo View Post
I did P90x and just finished up the first week in Dec 09. I started off at 164 and I'm now at 144! I'm also now wearing a size 8 and can prb squeeze into a 6 in some things. Beware, this program requires a great deal of commitment. Now I don't have a six pack, but I had some layers of fat to cut through first. Lol. After 2 babies, it happens! I'm getting ready to start another program...Insanity. No, that's the actual name of the program.
I've been using the Insanity.I just posted on it under that topic.My main exercise is running,but,as winter set in and I began to run less I began the Insanity workout.I am on week 4 and feel so fit and strong.I do have abs and I'm 53 and had 3 babies after the age of 40.Keep going,you can do it! It does work. The workouts are only 40 minutes so less time commitment.I love it.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times
I'm not in the greatest shape and absolutely hate working out.

That "exercise high" that people speak of is simply a myth to me - the only thing I feel at the end of a workout is angry and i'm pretty much in a bad mood for the rest of the day/night

at first I liked the routines and liked tony - by the end i would end up swearing and eventually just played music over the DVD

I made it about 7 weeks and then dropped it - i may give it a try at some other time

My wife was due and I was hoping to get something in before my daughters birth knowing time would be tough afterwards and wanted to develop some good habits.

Main reason I ended up dropping is that I couldn't budget the time needed for the routine.

I invested in a heart rate monitor and am glad I did - it would be real easy to go too hard and wear yourself down and maybe hurt yourself

However, with that by building in extra rest into the program it loses some intensity and takes even longer to complete

There is a lot of focus on pushups, pullups, lunges and the cardio to keep cycling through everything.

If I were to start again I'd probably dedicate a month or two to running in an effort to build up some endurance and get better at pushups. I had a pullup bar and did chair cheats - i'd probably invest in bands the next time around.

I liked the variety of movement and the way they present the workouts.

I can't argue with the results either. In my 7 weeks I dropped from 212 to 192 (i'm 6'5") and I haven't been under 200 lbs in over a decade. I definitely gained strength, flexibility and even improved endurance. I went from having trouble touching my toes to being able to rest my knuckles on the ground with ease, my posture improved, etc.

My eating habits also greatly improved. I get breakfast in every day now and snack more than large meal gorge.

As such I've maintained the weight over the past 4 months.

I did get bored with some of the repitition and for me Ab Ripper X was more like lower back strainer X ..... that one was way above my head, but i'd do what I could do.

I wouldn't recommend going into it cold, but if you have the ability to make the time commitment you'll definitely get good results if you follow the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness