Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times

Advertisements

I have never been a "work out" kind of guy. I am a fit slim guy and generally in good health. Very little body fat. Gaining weight is not something I have to worry about.

It would be nice if I could gain weight but I'll be 35 in March and the amount of effort it would take to just gain 5lbs would be to much work and I really don't have the time to dedicate BUT, I would like to use the membership. I won it at work. Get this, it's for 2 YEARS. I don't have to pay a dime.

Here is another good thing......the gym is right across the street from where I live. I can look out my window and see the cute girls on the tredmills.

So I have no excuse not to use this wonderful prize I won.

What kind of workout program should a beginner start with? I do know I want it to involve running and strength building.

Thanks CR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Congratulations on winning the prize!

I guess the membership also includes advice from the staff, probably even a free assessment and training session to get you started?

If so, then I would go and speak to the staff and ask for some expert help, see what they can offer you.

As the gym membership is free, you could even consider having a few personal training sessions to really get you started!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
You lucky guy. I agree with Southdown, you should go asap and schedule your first workout session. You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,007 times
Wow, great setup you've got there!

Depends on how many days/week you want to go there. If it's 3 days/week, you may want to do a whole body workout in one day for starters, then move up from there. Maybe split it up into upper and lower body. Honestly, I wouldn't do the running just yet. The workouts will give you a lot of exercise for now. You can always incorporate them in at some point down the road if you feel like you should.

Being "thin", I would do basic heavy multijoint strength building movements. Anywhere from 6-12 repetitions for each set, 3-5 sets each. One or two movements per bodypart, depending on the size of the bodypart.

You can eventually graduate to once/week bodypart training. Chest/mondays - Back/Wed- etc..

These are some of the best multijoint movements one should consider for a workout to gain muscle.
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench press
Dips
Bent rows
pull ups
Shoulder press

Even if you do just the above, you will notice increase in size and strength pretty quickly. You don't have to get fancy with machines or movbements such as "one arm dumbell blah blah" because they will not be as efficient as the ones above. Again, you can graduate to them at some point, but I would stick with mostly the above for a while. I still do them after many years of lifting weights. Well, I'm old school and lift in my basement, but that's another story. lol

Good luck.

Any specific questions, let us know.

Oh yeah, eat more too. Quality foods of course.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
That's awesome!

Did it come with any PT sessions? If so this is a good way to start because they can assess you and set up a plan to meet your needs based on what your workin' with currently . Muscle Milk is something you might want to invest in.....great source of the protein that you'll need after a workout and it will help with increasing mass.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Yes it came with PT sessions.

Whats Muscle Milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
That's awesome!

Did it come with any PT sessions? If so this is a good way to start because they can assess you and set up a plan to meet your needs based on what your workin' with currently . Muscle Milk is something you might want to invest in.....great source of the protein that you'll need after a workout and it will help with increasing mass.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Thanks a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Wow, great setup you've got there!

Depends on how many days/week you want to go there. If it's 3 days/week, you may want to do a whole body workout in one day for starters, then move up from there. Maybe split it up into upper and lower body. Honestly, I wouldn't do the running just yet. The workouts will give you a lot of exercise for now. You can always incorporate them in at some point down the road if you feel like you should.

Being "thin", I would do basic heavy multijoint strength building movements. Anywhere from 6-12 repetitions for each set, 3-5 sets each. One or two movements per bodypart, depending on the size of the bodypart.

You can eventually graduate to once/week bodypart training. Chest/mondays - Back/Wed- etc..

These are some of the best multijoint movements one should consider for a workout to gain muscle.
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench press
Dips
Bent rows
pull ups
Shoulder press

Even if you do just the above, you will notice increase in size and strength pretty quickly. You don't have to get fancy with machines or movbements such as "one arm dumbell blah blah" because they will not be as efficient as the ones above. Again, you can graduate to them at some point, but I would stick with mostly the above for a while. I still do them after many years of lifting weights. Well, I'm old school and lift in my basement, but that's another story. lol

Good luck.

Any specific questions, let us know.

Oh yeah, eat more too. Quality foods of course.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Muscle Milk is something you might want to invest in.....great source of the protein that you'll need after a workout and it will help with increasing mass.
I told my wife that if she wants to be stronger she should take some of my Muscle Milk daily and she got all upset and thought I was being dirty.

Muscle Milk and "100% Whey" are great sources of protein. Just be sure to take it within 20 minutes of finishing your workout.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM

LOL.......

That's funny.

Thanks for the explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I told my wife that if she wants to be stronger she should take some of my Muscle Milk daily and she got all upset and thought I was being dirty.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
If I remember correctly from a previous post of yours CR, you like girls with some curves!!!! Take advantage of the membership. You'll find plenty of curvy scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness