Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,132,438 times

Advertisements

Dude....^ really???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,708,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Tendonitis was my result. Six weeks to recover...and it comes back.
OMG! That is what happened to me! My "trainer" at the time thought I should be lifting heavier and I knew I wasn't ready but I listened to him anyway! The result is permanent Tendonitis in my right arm and now I'm stuck lifting only smaller weights, and having to be careful so I don't make my injury worse!

Therapy for a year didn't help me at all, so I'm stuck with this forever!

Learn from my mistake and take it slow!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,588,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
OMG! That is what happened to me! My "trainer" at the time thought I should be lifting heavier and I knew I wasn't ready but I listened to him anyway! The result is permanent Tendonitis in my right arm and now I'm stuck lifting only smaller weights, and having to be careful so I don't make my injury worse!

Therapy for a year didn't help me at all, so I'm stuck with this forever!

Learn from my mistake and take it slow!!!
Aww, ouch That's really a bummer...

Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,905,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanlb View Post
yeah you have to be really careful with the heavy weight, honestly you have to make sure by that point that you really know what you're doing, and that you have the proper form. I see so many people in the gym putting themselves at long-term injury risk because of the way they are lifting. A lot of people don't isolate properly, for instance, they throw their entire body into a set. Like they will be doing biceps and trying to gyrate their hips to give them some momentum to lift more, which is a horrible idea. It's like stretching where you bounce up and down, that is a high injury risk -- static stretching is far more effective and reduces the risk of tearing anything.

Even with a lot of experience and knowing what i was doing, i hurt myself pretty bad doing a back workout and the ironic part is that it ended up only limiting my bench press and shoulder workouts, because i was trying to do pullovers, so lying down on a bench looking at the ceiling, 100 pound dumbell gripped with both hands, going over my head, coming back above my face, etc. On one of the reps instead of pushing up or moving the weight with both arms, like using my back muscles, the weight got kind of situated above my left shoulder, it started to fall off balance, and i ended up yanking it back to center with that shoulder. At the time, i felt something kind of tweak, but it didn't really hurt, it was just a matter of it feeling uncomfortable. I was smart enough to stop that exercise for the day and pretty much ended my workout soon after, didn't do anything to aggravate it, but it was still too late. I worked out for about 2-3 more sessions, found i couldn't do much weight at anything with my shoulder like that, so i took 3 weeks off and it really still hadn't fully recovered. I could hear it make a funny sound when i moved it. I went back to lifting but suddenly couldn't do 225 pound bench presses like before, i was struggling, it wasn't like i felt pain when i was doing 185 but my body said, "uhh, i wouldn't move up..." and i'm smart enough to realize that if you're not feeling comfortable with a weight, be careful. It just felt "sensitive" and not really ready for more weight. I kept working out but didn't really recover what i had been doing for quite a while, and finally went to a physical therapist for a few sessions. He said based on what he could feel and the movements that i was having trouble with, it was most likely a partially torn rotator cuff. He said i was best off doing certain types of stretching, which i did, and then rebuilding muscle around the scar tissue slowly, which i started to do.

At this point, i don't notice any weakness in that shoulder really, i think it may still be there a bit but i haven't noticed it being a big issue anyway. I'm still careful with my shoulder joints because they are so sensitive.

On 3 separate occasions i have injured my neck pretty badly, one requiring several days in bed and a lot of vicodin, which didn't really numb the pain that much at all sadly, haha. That was the last straw for me, doing shrugs to build those muscles. I decided it wasn't worth the pain and now i just don't bother doing them, they get enough exercise with other activities, they don't need to be any larger. I had 3 issues with them before and neck injuries are so painful it's not worth it.

Unfortunately weight-lifting is really a touchy activity if you're trying to become bigger, rather than just doing it for some cardio benefits and minor toning, in which case it's not dangerous or risky at all unless you really are a moron, haha. But if you're trying to pack on the muscle mass and push yourself, it's this really delicate line. They say it's a fine line between insanity and genius, well, it's a fine line between the perfect hardcore workout and a workout that stops you from working out for a week. I've had that happen a lot of times in my workout career, but especially after breaks. It's something i've gotten a lot better at finally, but if you don't work out for two weeks for whatever reason, your mind and ego says, "oh, you're doing the same weight you were before, no way are you going to admit you can't do what you did before!" so you do it, it's awkward, and you injure yourself, then you don't work out for a week because you were trying to be a show off or a moron, haha, i call that a "false start" because it's embarrassing, now you have to wait to do another work out and this time come back with a little humility. The best attitude is not to worry about what weight you were doing before, you just think how positive it is that you are working out and doing your best, that's really what is important. And the longer you've been working out, too, i find the more accepting you are of the time it takes to get your form back. Like when i first started, if i got the flu for a week and then had to face the reality that i wouldn't be in the shape i was in before the flu until another two weeks, that was really depressing. I saw it not just as 3 weeks wasted but even more because during that 3 weeks i would have been moving up and instead i'll be lucky if i just can get back to where i was. Now i realize 3 weeks, come on, that's no biggie in the scheme of things, it's better to move up slower and keep a steady pace, no injuries, than to try to get it back too quickly.

Also injuries and setbacks make you appreciate just how amazing it feels to be at your best, in perfect shape. No matter how great you are at working out, and i certainly was a hardcore workout fanatic for three years, until the last year and a half when i've been struggling up and down a bit, the points where you truly reach a peak are to be savored. I used to be so ambitious and take it for granted that i would always just keep moving up that when i first benched 225, i was really excited about it but i was also thinking too much about doing more, like, "ok i did 225, wow, great, that was sweet. Gee, better be able to do 235 next week at least, then i can get to 250 in a few more weeks," etc. And next week i'd come in, somehow a bit more tired than the week before, i'd do my best and somehow that week i'd have trouble doing 185, and when i would try 225 i'd do like 3 reps instead of 8 and think, jeez, what happened?!? And then you realize what a wonderful feeling it is to have a great workout day where everything is strong, your body and mind are in sync, and you are at maximum capacity.
simon and schuster copy right 2008

Old 11-25-2008, 12:58 PM

61 posts, read 154,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA, LOL!!!
where guys make their mistakes in weight lifting is way to much EGO, not enough Confidence.
Example: pretty girl comes to work out in the distance, over ego guy goes from curling 40lb dumbells to 60lb, girl doesnt even notice him at all! guy goe for a week with sore biceps!!
Example: guy(a) squating 200lbs, guy (b) walks in and throws up 250lbs, guy(a) adds another 80lbs, guy (a) get's into car accident cus his charlie horse was killing him!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Seriously!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,905,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
seriously!
hey pal !

Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Heyyyyyyyyy

Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,708,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Aww, ouch That's really a bummer...
Yeah, it is!

What really sucks is I actually got to a point where I was putting on visible muscle gains (which really isn't easy for a woman like me), yet I was in so much pain!

I'm slowly working my way back, and I do mean slowly!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmston2 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA, LOL!!!
where guys make their mistakes in weight lifting is way to much EGO, not enough Confidence.
Example: pretty girl comes to work out in the distance, over ego guy goes from curling 40lb dumbells to 60lb, girl doesnt even notice him at all! guy goe for a week with sore biceps!!
Example: guy(a) squating 200lbs, guy (b) walks in and throws up 250lbs, guy(a) adds another 80lbs, guy (a) get's into car accident cus his charlie horse was killing him!!!
That's so true. B/c I am a woman who can lift a lot (but I am not big looking or tall or anything), I notice a lot of guys will see what I'm doing and then walk over and grab the next set of weights up.

This happens a lot at the bench at even more with dumbbell curls. Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness