Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times

Advertisements

I want to try yoga but I don't know much about it. I'm not down with the humming and the music. I want to do something practical and something I can do at home.

Any particular instructors or DVD's meant for men or at least not solely meant for women? I know its great for flexibility and surprisingly good cardio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Try a class. They are typically diverse. I have never been to a yoga class that wasn't at least 40% male.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Surprise, Yoga is about the humming and music. If you want Yoga for men, find a stretching DVD and watch that.

Yoga isn't a 'woman's thing'. Your post is highly uninformed.

It's not good cardio, unless you are woefully out of shape. Yoga isn't entirely about 'stretching and good cardio'. If that's what you want, stretch and do cardio. That's what I do. But, I also don't label Yoga something that it's not. Unless you're trying to be internet-alpha-male-cool-guy.

You want a Yoga class or DVD with all men in it? I can only find one word for that...

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM

I don't want a class. I want something I can do at home. I like working out solo. I hate lifting weights and running with friends. I lift weights on a regular basis. I'm thinking of using yoga on top of my weight lifting. I've read yoga is a good form of non-impact cardio.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Kind of missed the point of my post. Yoga is kind of a spiritual thing.. more than stretching and 'non-impact cardio'.

Anyways, there are a lot of Yoga classes that don't have "music and humming".

Ride the exercise bike and stretch. That's what you're looking for, not Yoga.

How is it that you "hate lifting weights", yet lift weights on a regular basis?

Your credibility is slowly eroding and exposing the seeds of BS.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Kind of missed the point of my post. Yoga is kind of a spiritual thing.. more than stretching and 'non-impact cardio'.

Anyways, there are a lot of Yoga classes that don't have "music and humming".

Ride the exercise bike and stretch. That's what you're looking for, not Yoga.

How is it that you "hate lifting weights", yet lift weights on a regular basis?

Your credibility is slowly eroding and exposing the seeds of BS.

Reread my post before making assumptions there boyo. I said I hate lifting weights WITH FRIENDS. I like working out solo hence why I don't want a class. The only type of class I take is MMA training.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Reread my post before making assumptions there boyo. I said I hate lifting weights WITH FRIENDS. I like working out solo hence why I don't want a class. The only type of class I take is MMA training.
If you could structure a sentence better, it would be a lot easier to read.

Anyways, shouldn't your MMA training suffice for conditioning? If you're doing that and expecting to supplement some cardio in utilizing Yoga, you should reconsider.

As I said before, just do solo stretching. You won't find what you're looking for in Yoga. I'm assuming you don't like being in a class surrounded by women. If that's not enough to distract you from the 'music and humming'...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i think its much better to take a class, like the one i just took tonight. flexibility is the thing i gota work on.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 AM

[Mod cut: orphaned / that post has been deleted]
Just sayin'. Yoga with out the 'music and humming' and 'practical', is stretching. Go on Amazon.com or Google.com and look up Yoga/Stretching tapes. I don't think it's that hard for you to do a quick search on any of those sites.

You're a star.

Cheers "Dub D".

Last edited by elnina; 02-28-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't want a class. I want something I can do at home. I like working out solo. I hate lifting weights and running with friends. I lift weights on a regular basis. I'm thinking of using yoga on top of my weight lifting. I've read yoga is a good form of non-impact cardio.
I don't have a suggestion for a DVD. I tried some classes. They are not a replacement for lifting weights or cardio. It is mainly stretching with some abdominal work. I'm male and the majority of the people in my classes were female, and much more flexible than me. Some of poses were next to impossible for me. I think you would be better off starting with some classes and than moving to a DVD. The biggest issue I had with yoga is the time involved. I found it took time from my other exercise routines. I did find it beneficial and may sign up for classes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness