Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

what damage can be done? Just curious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
torn ligaments, tendonitis, arthritis at the joints, stress fractures to name a few.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
what damage can be done? Just curious....
If you are lifting so much weight that you fail on reps 6-8 then you should do no more than one set (plus the warm up set) and only work that body part once, maybe twice per week but no more than that.

Give those muscles two days to recover before working them again. Also, be sure to take your glucosomine, eat plenty of green veggies and you should be okay.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 AM

I could hear some crackling when doing heavy weights...is that bad? My left shoulder feels a bit tingly/sore/numbish is that bad?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
I could hear some crackling when doing heavy weights...is that bad? My left shoulder feels a bit tingly/sore/numbish is that bad?
not if you are trying to get some workmen's comp goin.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 AM

^ Is that anyway to talk to a good friend? LOL

Old 10-01-2008, 03:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
^ Is that anyway to talk to a good friend? LOL
no i would not qualify, although i know you have made so many in your short stay.
no im probably on that strange face list, you know, the list.
thanks for sharing.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Artsy if you can't complete at least 2.5 entire sets of 8-10 reps (the last set to failiure on at least the 8th rep) then you need to lower the weight.....you can do more damage than good if you are lifting more than your current muscle mass can handle....there's a difference between "ripping" and "tearing" the latter is not going to get you anywhere but out of the gym. Lessen the weight a bit, consistently work those muscles and you'll be able to steadily increase the weight your lifting.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Artsy if you can't complete at least 2.5 entire sets of 8-10 reps (the last set to failiure on at least the 8th rep) then you need to lower the weight.....you can do more damage than good if you are lifting more than your current muscle mass can handle....there's a difference between "ripping" and "tearing" the latter is not going to get you anywhere but out of the gym. Lessen the weight a bit, consistently work those muscles and you'll be able to steadily increase the weight your lifting.
No offense to lola, but I'm going to disagree with this entirely. By that advice, almost everyone I know who lifts weights, including myself, is using too much weight. Some people regularly do a SINGLE rep - for example, to determine their bench press 1 rep max. Some people powerlift every time they are in the gym, where they keep their reps in the 2-4 range for maximal strength gain. And almost anyone trying to gain mass or strength should be lifting to failure (ie, you don't stop doing reps until you can't perform the movement again) - the goal is to pick a weight such that you fail after doing a certain number of reps (whether that's 2-4 (strength mainly) or 8-10 (strength/size) or 16-20 (endurance) depends on your goals). I'm not going to get into how often you should lift or what rep range you should use, because that wasn't the question asked.

So long as you can perform a single rep of the exercise in question WITH GOOD FORM, and your muscles are adequately stretched / warmed up, you aren't going to hurt yourself. Now this advice is for someone who's been lifting a while, which I take it artsyguy has, not for a newbie obviously. And the key to this advice is WITH GOOD FORM. If you are cheating, you will be more prone to injury.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
No offense to lola, but I'm going to disagree with this entirely. By that advice, almost everyone I know who lifts weights, including myself, is using too much weight. Some people regularly do a SINGLE rep - for example, to determine their bench press 1 rep max. Some people powerlift every time they are in the gym, where they keep their reps in the 2-4 range for maximal strength gain. And almost anyone trying to gain mass or strength should be lifting to failure (ie, you don't stop doing reps until you can't perform the movement again) - the goal is to pick a weight such that you fail after doing a certain number of reps (whether that's 2-4 (strength mainly) or 8-10 (strength/size) or 16-20 (endurance) depends on your goals). I'm not going to get into how often you should lift or what rep range you should use, because that wasn't the question asked.

So long as you can perform a single rep of the exercise in question WITH GOOD FORM, and your muscles are adequately stretched / warmed up, you aren't going to hurt yourself. Now this advice is for someone who's been lifting a while, which I take it artsyguy has, not for a newbie obviously. And the key to this advice is WITH GOOD FORM. If you are cheating, you will be more prone to injury.
lol.....please, feel free to disagree w/me.....by all means .

I've been a PT for about 5 years now and I've helped many different types of ppl with a variety of different needs.....Artsy might not be a true beginer but he's not a body builder either....I would venture to bet that he does not avidly (6-7 days a week) workout....hence, my advice to him ....Of course he should be overloading but if your only able to do 1 rep.....that's rediculous might as well just go out into the parking lot and lift up cars and call it a workout....you need reps.....trying to bulk up? You need to do at least 6 reps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness