Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM

609 posts, read 1,170,150 times

Advertisements

i finally went to the gym at the university (took me 1 month to find it) and they ahve an awesome set of equiptment at an extremely affordable price (15 euros for one semester!!!!!!!) anyways its the first time ive worked out properly in awhile, i ahd a little gym at home but since moving there was simply no other palce to work the muscles.
anywyas so i worked out and obviously the next day my muscles were hurting, but i was wondering if anyone knew would be the best thing to do not that they hurt? drink alot of water and keep eating more protein? i know theres some tricks that can help prevent this such as running for 30 minutes before even beginging to work out then sprinting before each set( or so they claim)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM

622 posts, read 3,106,836 times
Sprinting before each set? Hmmm, not sure about that one.

You will feel some discomfort for a little while if you're a beginner. Try stretching the muscle before and after a wo and get some blood flow into the muscles the next few days. Massaging helps, but I don't know how far you want to go with all of that. I wouldn't go all out when you first start. Just ease into it for the first two weeks. You will not get your results after one day of working out, so ease into it and the gains will come. good luck

Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
i finally went to the gym at the university (took me 1 month to find it) and they ahve an awesome set of equiptment at an extremely affordable price (15 euros for one semester!!!!!!!) anyways its the first time ive worked out properly in awhile, i ahd a little gym at home but since moving there was simply no other palce to work the muscles.
anywyas so i worked out and obviously the next day my muscles were hurting, but i was wondering if anyone knew would be the best thing to do not that they hurt? drink alot of water and keep eating more protein? i know theres some tricks that can help prevent this such as running for 30 minutes before even beginging to work out then sprinting before each set( or so they claim)
burn is good your correct, water, protein and oxygen are the three best things for your muscles after a workout. Is your goal to gain muscle and keep your body fat the way it is? If so, you don't need to be sprinting or doing so much cardio however, if you would like to loose some body fat the cardio is a great idea as well as sprinting between sets......

As far as your muscles hurting.....that's a good thing eventually, as you continue to work them out, they won't hurt as much but you always want the burn otherwise your not doing something right.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Sprinting before each set? Hmmm, not sure about that one.

You will feel some discomfort for a little while if you're a beginner. Try stretching the muscle before and after a wo and get some blood flow into the muscles the next few days. Massaging helps, but I don't know how far you want to go with all of that. I wouldn't go all out when you first start. Just ease into it for the first two weeks. You will not get your results after one day of working out, so ease into it and the gains will come. good luck
hi yeah i read the sprinting thing on some site, but the idea was excatly the same as for your "stretching", to get some blood flowing.

i dont want to lose fat, im not fat at all, but i dont mind having alitle over the muscles, i think it looks better and you look bigger. my schedual is kinda chaotic because i have basketball monday and thursday, and the only day the gym is open is monday (if i skip 30) mins of basketball) and wednesday and thursday. therefore i cant have the one day work out, one day cardio that id like to... im thinking do the 30 mins workout(hardcore working out)+basketball on monday and the 1 hourworkout+ basketball on thursday. i know your supposed to rest 1 day but maybe once i get used to it a monday+light wednesday+thursday might work? anyone ahve any thoughts???

Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM

58 posts, read 192,498 times
The stretching is important. No matter what the workout, stretching should come first.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM

622 posts, read 3,106,836 times
You can split up your workout on Wed and Thursday. Do half one day and half the next. You can also do another half workout on Monday. The time constraint will allow for that easier. Or you can mix up any combination. I wouldn't do the whole body every training day 3X/week for too long. That is just overdoing it, especially for your goals.

I would stop doing cardio altogether. The basketball is enough for you to stay skinny. lol You'll have trouble gaining with even that. You need enough calories and rest to recover and grow from your workouts to gain muscle. Lift heavy, eat, rest. repeat. Basic compound movements working up to the heaviest weights possible for rougly 8 reps. Lift and go home. No need for fancy stuff other than the basic heavy compound movements. Especially for your goals. Trust me, I've been there... "Can't gain weight/muscle??" I've learned to eat big and lift big and rest. It's that simple. good luck.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,912,302 times
Stretching before and after your workouts to prevent injury and stretch out those muscles. Also, take vitamin C after your workout. It's supposed to reduce muscle pain.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
You can split up your workout on Wed and Thursday. Do half one day and half the next. You can also do another half workout on Monday. The time constraint will allow for that easier. Or you can mix up any combination. I wouldn't do the whole body every training day 3X/week for too long. That is just overdoing it, especially for your goals.

I would stop doing cardio altogether. The basketball is enough for you to stay skinny. lol You'll have trouble gaining with even that. You need enough calories and rest to recover and grow from your workouts to gain muscle. Lift heavy, eat, rest. repeat. Basic compound movements working up to the heaviest weights possible for rougly 8 reps. Lift and go home. No need for fancy stuff other than the basic heavy compound movements. Especially for your goals. Trust me, I've been there... "Can't gain weight/muscle??" I've learned to eat big and lift big and rest. It's that simple. good luck.
thanks thats alot of help. i guess i should do chest and back on wednesday and what on thursday? the type of equiptment the have is a bench press, flat and an inclined one. a row machine divise as well as a a number of machines that do similar stuff to the one in this picture

(file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/kris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/bigfit_2019_80888452)

look at the picture. theres a bar thing you can pull down (sorry i dont know all the names) they have some of those. and they also have stuff similar to a row machine. in the picture its like the bar at the bottom. you sit down and put your foot on these things for support and you pull the weight system like in the pic.

any ideas what sort of workout i should do wednesday then thursday? or what??

Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM

SO yeah just to clarify i can only workout 30 minutes on monday. then i have 1hour at 5 oclock on wednesday. then on thursday i can workout from 3:30 to 6 (i know its too long to work out, im just giving detail so people know all the info and can help me better) and then i have basketball 6-8

Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM

oh yeah. and although im just starting out again would it be better to push myself and lift heavier with less reps, or lighter with more reps? i know one builds bigger muscles but still? any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness