Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

What did you do it exercise wise?

Did you exercise everyday? videos? running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
I did about ten years ago. I had a diet of around 1800 calories and kept my fat grams under 25. I walked for about a hour to eighty minutes five to six days a week sometimes twice in a day if I felt really motivated. I also tried to do 100 sit up's and various crunches three times a week. I also lifted weights for about 30 minutes three times a week.....sometimes less. I think it took me about 20 months to lose the weight. I went from 280 to 160.

My metabolism stinks and I was up to 310 two years ago again I have lost 85 of that but had a hernia last summer which killed my momentum. I can't do sit up's anymore and can't use my manual treadmill in the winter. I don't have benefits and don't have the money for surgery. It's really depressing as I'm around 225 right now and want to get down to 190. I doubt it will happen this winter as I hate walking outside in the cold and can't use my treadmill.

For anybody losing weight.......don't give up and keep pushing yourself. There will be plenty of setbacks or times you eat things you shouldn't but try to pick yourself up the next day and keep going. The toughest part for me is when my body hit a plateau and I didn't lose weight for a few weeks even though still working out. It eventually stopped and the weight continued to come off. Losing weight is one of the hardest things to do but the benefits and feelings of accomplishment are tremendous! Stay positive and good luck to anybody who has weight loss goals!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,502,944 times
So far I have lost 30 pounds in about 3 months on Weight Watchers.. We use the point system and it has been the only diet that I not only like "IT WORKS"

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I lost 140 pounds over three years, walking 3 miles a day 6 days a week, and lifting weights 3 days a week. It's hard work, but it's extremely gratifying.

Of course, maintenance is even harder. Nobody tells you that.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 AM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times
about 10 years ago I went from 201 to 112 in 3 months just by becoming a vegan, then I lost 10 more pounds over the course of 2 months when I took up playing soccer and swimming. I also switched to be a vegetarian so that might have slowed the rapid weight loss but when I lost the 89 pounds in 3 months I did not exercise what so ever. Just changing my diet did that. Now Im back up in weight but Im losing it again by hiking for an hour a day, doing my fluidity dvd every other day and doing my Firm Fast and Fitt Cardio blast every day. oh and I stopped eating fried foods, drinking soda and eating desserts

Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Best thing to do is just for a week write down everything you eat as normal. Add up the calories and look for improved choices of stuff you like. (lower fat and lower cal)

If you have that much to lose it should come off with diet alone and walking.
Talk to your doctor 1st because even the young can face problems with exercise when coming down from a higher weight.

If I was you I would eat 1800-2000 cals/day of healthy food with a 15 minute walk daily.
It may come off slowly but it will stay off. The best part is it really doesnt feel like you are doing anything much at all but you keep shrinking.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times
I've lost hundreds of pounds over the years, but every time I slow down a little they find me again

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
How many do you gain back?
You know I got my s.o. to just settle with a higher weight because he can maintain it. Its healthy enough and it doesnt give him the gain back as easily.

But yeh...cake parties too many and the fat cells remember what you used to be...
Holidays are coming...
*jaws theme here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness