Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 PM

24 posts, read 139,271 times

Advertisements

okay, this may sound like a really weird question, but how do i calculate what my waist size should be? is there a calculator to find out your ideal waist size? I know i need to lose alot of inches, but i'm not sure exactly how many, it's like a i'll know it when i see it, but i still like to have a ballpark number to aim for. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
There is no "ideal" waist size. The general belief is that the smaller the better but some women look really good and are very health with a waist as large as 30".

So dont be so worried about obtaining an ideal waist size. Just worry about reducing your overall body fat percentage. Of course, women with smaller waists are generally considered to be much more physically attractive than fat women, but remember, whats really important is your overall health/fitness level.

What are you current stats? Height, weight, measurments? Please also indicate your current fitness level. Many people here would be happy to give you tips on how to achieve your goal, whatever that may be.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Yeh...Its more a ratio than a size.

But here is a little calculator to get you a loose idea on what to think about:
The Most Accurate Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator

Old 10-25-2008, 12:26 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,659 times
I agree, focus on bodyfat %. It's a better target to aim for and more widely gauged among trainees.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
^^^^ if you are overweight and dieting that will naturally go down. Most people are at a healthy body fat level when they are midrange or maybe a little higher on a BMI chart. Not the holy grail of what you weight should be (BMI) but its a good starter guideline on where you should actually be under when you are not fit yet.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM

224 posts, read 957,042 times
Different body types have different waist sizes. There is no "normal" waist size. I guess there are unhealthy waist sizes. Research has shown the greater the amount of belly fat, the more dangerous to one's health.

Exercise, stay fit, watch the calorie intake, and eat healthy and you should have no problem.

Many good answers on this thread.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:53 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times
there is none. I have a friend who has a small 34 inch waist but for a man, he has VERY narrow shoulders....so it actually looks like he has hips......looks disgusting. It's all about how your waist is in proportion to other parts of your body and how tall you are.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelica99 View Post
okay, this may sound like a really weird question, but how do i calculate what my waist size should be? is there a calculator to find out your ideal waist size? I know i need to lose alot of inches, but i'm not sure exactly how many, it's like a i'll know it when i see it, but i still like to have a ballpark number to aim for. Thanks for any help
No ballpark number...just keep working out till you look good naked!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
No ballpark number...just keep working out till you look good naked!
omg happy....geez

Listen girl.....each person is different, depending on your bone structure, family genes etc... As long as you are within your target BMI and Body fat percentage......you will look good and feel good...so don't worry so much about exact measurments (although it's a good way to guide your progress) don't have a number in mind just have one overall goal to achieve and maintain your ideal BMI and body fat %.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:26 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,738 times
good morning sweetie...I been in a crazy mood with advice....i know!...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness