Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,089 times

Advertisements

I am working out but am concerned that I don't really seem to be building up any endurance. I still need to stop for pretty regular walk breaks while running, and I am wondering if my heart rate is ok, or too high.

This week my work out schedule has looked like this:

Sunday: Walked 8 miles

Monday: Nothing

Tuesday: Walked 2.8 miles

Wednesday: Ran and walked 3.6 miles. (10 mins running at 5.3 - 5.6 mph/ 2 mins walking at 3 - 3.3 mph/ 5 mins running/ 1 min walking, etc).
3 sets of 10 with 15 lb free weights.
3 sets of 10 sit ups on slanted sit up table.
3 sets of 10 on chest machine and 2 leg machines.

Thursday: Ran and walked 3.25 miles (as above).
3 sets of 10 with 15 lb free weights.
3 sets of 10 squats with 12 lb weights.
3 sets of 10 sit ups.

Friday: 2.25 miles HIT sprints at 8.5 mph and walks at 3 mph. One minute of each.
3 sets of 10 arms with 15 lb free weights
2 sets of 10 squats with 12 lb weights
3 sets of 10 sit ups on slanted sit up table.

I measured my heart rate today at the end of my final sprint and it had gone all the way up to 174. After 30 seconds it had dropped to 163. Another 30 seconds later it was at 150 and a minute after that it was at 136.
I'm 31 years old female.

I am a little concerned by how high my heart rate went on my final sprint. Does this look ok, and the return to rest rate look ok?

Also, my DH is working out too and he has built up to being able to run, none stop at higher speeds for way longer than me. He does a similar distance, but takes a much shorter time because he runs almost all of it.
I sometimes do my runs at 6 mph, but then I really can't do more than 5 minutes of running and end up doing less overall distance.

If I am well rested and in the zone I CAN run up to 20 minutes at 5 mph, but the next day I won't manage more than 5 mins in a row.
Why is my endurance not building up like my DH's? I feel that I am working out pretty hard, even though I take regular 1 minute walk breaks, yet I just feel like I CAN'T keep going. Am I just being lazy? Maybe I need a trainer yelling at me from the side of the treadmill. Lol.

Any thoughts/ comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
Target Heart Rate Calculator

use the above site to find your target heart rate....idealistically you want to stay within that target rate for at least 25-30 minutes....no more than one hour (and that's pushing it a bit). Your heart rate should never ever go above the highest end of your target rate....

Let your heart rate guide you....wether you need to walk or run to keep your HR within the target range....do it. You will eventually build up a higher tollerance and you'll find that you need to run for longer in order to get to that range....

As far as your weight training.....What are your goals? How much time a week are you willing to dedicate to weight training?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks Lola! My only goals with the weight training is to build lean muscle and tone up. That's really about it - I don't have much of a plan. I probably do between 10 and 15 mins after I finish cardio. Is that enough?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Thanks Lola! My only goals with the weight training is to build lean muscle and tone up. That's really about it - I don't have much of a plan. I probably do between 10 and 15 mins after I finish cardio. Is that enough?
that's a great goal.....10 - 15 minutes might not be quite enough time....I would do at least 30 minutes....all you need is 30 minutes every other day....I do a 2 on 1 off routine....Full body each day.

Let me know if you need help with an anerobic plan....

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
I might also suggest that you significantly up the weight on your weight training. 2 sets of 12lbs for squats is doing absolutely nothing for you.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Seriously...up all your weights.

Also, keep your time between activities very short (seconds, not minutes). That helps build endurance and cardio.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Hmm, today I did 3.3 miles on the elliptical and treadmill. I probably did 20 mins of weights and used 20lb weights for some of my arm exercises, but I doubt I could do curls with them though. I'll try next time.
I do the weight machines much heavier of course; 55 and 70 lbs for legs (depending on the machine) and 20 - 40 lbs for arms (55lbs for the 'pull down' machine).
I actually thought that 15lb free weights for arm curls was quite good. What weights should a girl aim to use for arm curls? I really doubt that I can do 3 sets of 10 with 20lb weights, and I'm quite strong! What should I be aiming for?

Lola, my cardio normally takes about 40 - 45 mins including warm up and cool down. Quicker when I do HIIT. I feel like I need to do more as I get older.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Probably too much time off between the last run/walk on Friday and the next one on Wednesday. Also, I would have a rest day or one of the shorter walks in between the days you run. An example of this is found at the following link (substitute your run/walk days for his run days).

Jeff Galloway's 5k Training & 10k Training Programs for all levels including beginners

Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
One question I have is how long you have been working out. Conditioning doesn't happen overnight. Depending on how long you've been at this, you might just need to give it more time.

As for how much weight to lift, a good standard guideline for basic fitness is to experiment until you find a weight you can lift eight times, and no more than eight reps, on the first set. Work out with that weight until you can do a first-set max. of twelve reps, and then add weight, experimenting until you find the new weight you can lift for eight reps. There are other kinds of workouts that people with advanced experience do for specific results related to bodybuilding or maximum results with strength, but the eight-to-twelve progression is a good weight workout as part of a program for all-around fitness. There's no one weight that's "right for a girl," or for anyone, because everyone is built differently. Find the weight that puts you in this eight-twelve range.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM

I've always been pretty active, but some months more so than others. I find it harder to maintain an exercise regime in winter when I really just want to hibernate.

I've been working out pretty regularly 3 - 5 times per week for over a year. I do occassionally take a week or even two off if I get sick or go on holiday or whatever.

I went on a crazy work out binge about a year ago for several months. I was doing about an hour and a half on the treadmill most days. My endurance barely built up at all and then I got disheartened and gave up for several weeks. That's why I now try and work out in increments that are actually sustainable for the long term.

I am also making an effort to get out and do some walking on days when I can't face the treadmill.

The sad fact is that I don't much enjoy working out. It's a definite chore. Byt when I work out I work out hard and always end up exhausted. I don't half as* it.

I'll try lifting heavier weights, but I'm just not sure that I can commit to more than 3 to 4 days of running or elliptical per week. It just bores me too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness