Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

355 posts, read 814,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Lyle McDonald and Tom Venuto are definitely the ones to talk to on this subject. If you want abs definition, you need to get your body fat level down really low. For men, a perfectly flat stomach happens around 12%. Abs don't begin to show until you reach 8%. And 3% is essential. Anything less and you'll be dead.

Also, if you need a 6-pack to attract women, that's pretty sad and it says a lot about those women if they pass you by because you don't have one. That's almost as bad as those women who get implants to attract men.
Exactly. But the OP wanted a 6-pack. The problem with that is they are very difficult to maintain 12 months a year unless you're naturally thin (yuck) or on an anabolic/ketotic diet 100% of the time.

I wouldn't pass a guy up if he didn't have a 6-pack. In fact, I prefer a little more meat

My BF bulks up in the winter and cuts in the summer. Although he "looks" better in the summer, he "feels" much better in the winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,000 times
Hey Man,

I had the same problem, It depends on alot of things to get a six pack, by the sounds of it you arre not to far off. Cardio is only part of it.Are you doing a whole body workout or just abs crunches???? Crunches are great but it might be time to build a bit more muscle elsewhere to help burn the fat right off. Also are you doing the right crunches????

Like i said, there lots of reasons why you are not seeing your abs. This guy really helped me out:6 pack abs

good luck

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Genetics play a big role in just how "cut up" one can get.

I was a workout fiend from the time I was 13 thru my late 20s (currently 32). While I don't train like I used to I still try and lift 2 times a week and run nearly every day in the summer.

Over the last six months I've really slacked off. My diet is S***. I smoke. I drink. Despite this if I hit it hard for a month I would be ripped from head to toe. Genetics. It's not fair but I've always been that way. My dad was that way and my sister is that way too. I will say it's gotten progressively harder to get back into shape after a long layoff the older I get.

I've had friends that have worked fifty times harder than me in the gym and watched every calorie while I ate nacho cheese combos for a post workout meal. They would be in perfect health and have the strength and stamina of a bull but they never could really get that "ripped" look.

Watch our diet. Get 30 minutes of cardio at least 3 times a week. Hit every area of your stomach (upper, lower, sides) AND your lower back. You have to make your lower back stronger as your abs get stronger.

Good luck. Don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness