Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm getting back into a work out routine after being away from it for about a month and a half. I just fell off the wagon I guess.
Anyway, I'm ready to get back on. I was doing really well working out on my elliptical and was going for an hour a day, the worse case scenario, I'd do at least 40 mins.
Anyhoo, with the weather constantly damp and cold now, I only have my elliptical and really want to buy a used treadmill. I have lost a lot of weight before doing just walking. So my question is, what am I going to have better results from? Working out on the elliptical or the treadmill and yes, I do plan on going back and forth with the two.

I really want to get in shape but am almost 40 and it just takes SOOO long!!!

Help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
hey girl.....They are both great ways to incorporate cardio into your workout however, my choice has and always will be the elliptical because, IMO, it gives a better workout (simulates running) without the harsh impact on your joints (knees ankles hips and back). If it were me, I would definitely stick with the elliptical and use the treadmill money for another quality piece of gym equipment to add to my home gym....But, as I said, either machine is great, the elliptical just prolongs the life of your joints....as a trainer I will tell you to do whichever machine inspires you....whichever machine makes you feel the best and makes you feel like you are achieving.

best of luck

Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
hey girl.....They are both great ways to incorporate cardio into your workout however, my choice has and always will be the elliptical because, IMO, it gives a better workout (simulates running) without the harsh impact on your joints (knees ankles hips and back). If it were me, I would definitely stick with the elliptical and use the treadmill money for another quality piece of gym equipment to add to my home gym....But, as I said, either machine is great, the elliptical just prolongs the life of your joints....as a trainer I will tell you to do whichever machine inspires you....whichever machine makes you feel the best and makes you feel like you are achieving.

best of luck
Thanks Lola!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm getting back into a work out routine after being away from it for about a month and a half. I just fell off the wagon I guess.
Anyway, I'm ready to get back on. I was doing really well working out on my elliptical and was going for an hour a day, the worse case scenario, I'd do at least 40 mins.
Anyhoo, with the weather constantly damp and cold now, I only have my elliptical and really want to buy a used treadmill. I have lost a lot of weight before doing just walking. So my question is, what am I going to have better results from? Working out on the elliptical or the treadmill and yes, I do plan on going back and forth with the two.

I really want to get in shape but am almost 40 and it just takes SOOO long!!!

Help??
Walking burns hardly any calories at all, elliptical burns tons of calories. So that's kind of an easy decision. If you had said elliptical or the bike, I'd say well it depends on exertion level, but still elliptical. I can keep up a pace of 750 calories per hour on the elliptical pretty easily. I usually won't do it for more than 30 minutes because I get bored, but I can get to a 900 calorie per hour rate for like 10 to 15 minutes. That's still not bad to burn a few hundred calories after a weight lifting workout. But walking is what 250 calories an hour? If you're lucky? It just doesn't burn anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness