Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,004 times

Advertisements

You really don't need a GPS for running...check out this website: USATF - America's Running Routes

You can view routes other people have made in your area, and plot your own routes for mileage. I use this when selecting new routes (I generally start with something already posted and modify it slightly). If you want to keep track of your runs over time, make a simple notebook or speadsheet. You'd be better off spending the GPS money on a good pair of shoes, some running shorts (I like Nike Fit Dry ones which cost around $20 at Academy), socks (real running socks are amazing compared to normal ones), and some shirts. As another poster said...stay away from cotton. Running in general is a very cheap hobby, unless you run a lot of races and have to pay a lot in entry fees.

I don't think you'll have a problem walking the Austin half marathon if you can already run a 5k. The course is a bit hilly, but not horrible. I ran it this past February, and was currently training for the 2009 full Austin marathon, but overdid it and injured a tendon - and probably will have to run the half again this year. Lesson learned - don't overtrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
You really don't need a GPS for running...check out this website: USATF - America's Running Routes

You can view routes other people have made in your area, and plot your own routes for mileage.
Thanks for the website. I just plotted a 3 mile loop from my house around the neighborhood. I'll try it when it's warmer outside.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
The Nike Plus shoe sensor kit is $30, and you just get a pod-holder to attach to any shoe - don't need the Nike shoes. It logs all your runs, speeds, distance and calories via your account at http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/.

The website has mapping and you can see other people's running maps too.

PS Running in the cold is fine - you may need gloves and headband, but within 10 minutes you'll be warm. I ran this morning, it was -1c It made me run faster!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,928,809 times
When it is really chilly in the morning, I make sure to run a "there and back" rather than a loop route. That way I can discard my headband, gloves or top fleece if I get warm and pick them up on the return. I buy cheap black mittens at the dollar store because I hate cold hands starting out, but hate even more hot hands. When I take off my mittens and stuff them in the back of my waist band, I often lose one!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
TT, you can also use mapmyfitness.com. My son and I have both used this site for years. We both run halfs, and are regular "neighborhood" runners. It helps that we have lots of runners in our neighborhood, so it's a very popular thing here, even with the younger generation.

My son has a forerunner, and loves it. He's into "time" though, I'm not. At my age, I'm just into finishing! I do enjoy it though. I've had to take a slight break, which is just killing me, as I have an abductor muscle that has somehow sustained an injury (2 years ago I think - but I've no idea how) and it comes and goes, but has never really stopped me from running. I went to NYC last weekend and walked my tail off, and came back almost limping. So...I have to make myself take some time off. It's VERY hard to do...but I just have to do it.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:05 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
TT, you can also use mapmyfitness.com. My son and I have both used this site for years. We both run halfs, and are regular "neighborhood" runners. It helps that we have lots of runners in our neighborhood, so it's a very popular thing here, even with the younger generation.

My son has a forerunner, and loves it. He's into "time" though, I'm not. At my age, I'm just into finishing! I do enjoy it though. I've had to take a slight break, which is just killing me, as I have an abductor muscle that has somehow sustained an injury (2 years ago I think - but I've no idea how) and it comes and goes, but has never really stopped me from running. I went to NYC last weekend and walked my tail off, and came back almost limping. So...I have to make myself take some time off. It's VERY hard to do...but I just have to do it.
Thanks CM. I'm actually quite excited at the thought of being able to finish a half marathon, even though I can't run a mile without stopping at the moment. I remember when I first started running on a treadmill a couple years ago it didn't take too long to work up to running for longer stretches of time without a break. Unfortunately life interfered with the exercise (poor excuse I know) and I'm back to being in not very good shape.

I've found the good websites that list all the races around town over the next year and will try to do as many as I can, working up from 5K, to 10K, to 10 miles and finally to the half marathon.

I'm having an MRI on my foot next week because it's been hurting for almost two months (x-rays were negative) and until I get the results, I don't want to push it.

Hopefully the rest will do your leg some good.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I ran my first half in March 2008 and am running another one in March, 2009. I would suggest finding some shorter distance races to use a short term goals over the next few months. Start with a 5K (3 miles) then shoot for a 10K (6 miles). Participating in some of these shorter races helps you work toward your goal and also helps you prepare for the big race day. You'll have more confidence about race morning if you have done some other races first.
This is good advice. Being a part of a shorter running event can really help motivate you to run longer distances. If you succeed in running a 5K or 10K and you feel good about your run, I can almost guarantee that two hours after the race you will be thinking about running a longer distance.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 PM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Thanks CM. I'm actually quite excited at the thought of being able to finish a half marathon, even though I can't run a mile without stopping at the moment. I remember when I first started running on a treadmill a couple years ago it didn't take too long to work up to running for longer stretches of time without a break. Unfortunately life interfered with the exercise (poor excuse I know) and I'm back to being in not very good shape.

I've found the good websites that list all the races around town over the next year and will try to do as many as I can, working up from 5K, to 10K, to 10 miles and finally to the half marathon.

I'm having an MRI on my foot next week because it's been hurting for almost two months (x-rays were negative) and until I get the results, I don't want to push it.

Hopefully the rest will do your leg some good.
Thanks. Hope your foot is okay too! Did you injure it??

Also, if you haven't already, check out Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan . This is a great starter program, I know many many people that began their running using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness