Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

I don't buy bulk and lost ALL of my weight being the poorest I have ever been in my life due to disability. I lost weight while on food stamps.. So thats a set of poor excuses... don't excuse the pun.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Default Still looking for the $1 a day list.

20 healthful foods for under one dollar.

(This was as close as I could get to finding anything. It isn't a $1 a day but if you ration it out you might be able to do it.) Yes, beans and rice are on here.
  • Oats. High in heart-healthy soluble fiber, oats are a quick and tasty meal. A dollar will get you more than a week's worth of breakfasts.
  • Eggs. About a dollar for a half dozen, eggs -- once given a bad rap for high cholesterol -- are now back in the good nutrition fold.
  • Kale. Roughly a dollar a bunch, kale and other dark leafy greens are packed with nutrition.
  • Potatoes. As long as you don't fry them or slather them in fatty condiments, potatoes can be a part of a nutritious diet. Sweet potatoes have the added benefit of beta carotene.
  • Apples. Most varieties are very inexpensive and can satisfy a sweet tooth with their crunchy goodness.
  • Nuts. A great source of healthy fats, nuts might seem expensive, but since their portion size is small, many varieties (such as peanuts, walnuts and almonds) land well under a dollar per serving.
  • Bananas. High in potassium and fiber, bananas are a nutritious and inexpensive food.
  • Garbanzo Beans. Beans, in general, are a healthful and ridiculously-cheap food. Plus, they're a great protein-rich replacement for high-cost meat. Garbanzos are a versatile and healthful choice.
  • Broccoli. Delicious raw or cooked into a wide variety of meals, broccoli is well under a dollar per serving.
  • Watermelon. Per serving, watermelon only costs a few dimes. It's great for hydration and contains nutrients such as vitamin C and lycopene.
  • Wild Rice. A little more costly than white rice, wild rice is well worth the extra cost in nutrition and flavor. And it's still less than a dollar per serving.
  • Beets. Barack Obama may not like them, but hopefully you do! Beets are powerhouses of nutrition and low cost to boot.
  • Butternut Squash. In season, squash is usually under a dollar per pound -- especially if you find it at a local farmer's market.
  • Whole-Grain Pasta. Refined pasta is relatively void of nutrition. But whole-grain varieties are a welcome addition to any diet.
  • Sardines. I can't stomach them. But if you're a sardine fan, they're an inexpensive and healthful food to enjoy.
  • Spinach. Another dark green and leafy vegetable, spinach is a great source of vitamin C and iron.
  • Tofu. While some people question if tofu is a good choice, in moderation, tofu is a healthful and inexpensive protein replacement.
  • Lowfat Milk. Per serving, milk is still well under a dollar. Let's hope the prices don't continue to rise, though.
  • Pumpkin Seeds. Hopefully you enjoyed some free pumpkin seeds from your Halloween jack o' lantern. But even the store bought varieties are low cost.
  • Coffee. It's crazy-expensive if you buy it at a specialty coffee house but if you brew your own, coffee is less than 50 cents a cup.
That's Fit

Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathernichole View Post
When it comes to exercise, going to a gym CAN cost a lot. There are other options, though. Most areas have at least one YMCA, if not multiple. And the YMCA offers a Guardian program based on how much you make, family size, etc. And taking into account that some people can't even afford the little bit that they would have to pay for a YMCA membership, but at the same time, some of those people would still go to McDonalds or Burger King at least once or twice a week, if not more, and that adds up. If they were to budget themselves and not spend that money on fast food, they could put that money towards going to the Y.

That doesn't include everyone, but for those that do fit that situation.
Fast food can be expensive especially if you order the items that are not on the dollar menu. I was at Burger King about 3 weeks ago. Most of the combos were at least 6 dollars or higher. I was driving through Gila Bend, AZ headed to Phoenix.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
But fresh, preservative free healthy foods do not last nearly as long as preservative-laden, packaged junk food. If you only had $25 dollars to spend to feed your family for a week(theoretically), wouldn't you stock up on pantry items like cereal, soup, pastas, rice, etc. instead of fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh baked bread, etc. that will spoil quickly??? A box of snack crackers would last a child a week or so as an after school snack vs. say, a green bell pepper.
I was once able to buy a whole wheat box of spaghetti for 1.30. Soup, at least where I live, has gone up in price. I try to make soup myself. Rice, especially brown rice is inexpensive and healthy. Cereal can be healthy as long as you are not buying sugar loaded cereal. Some prepackaged junk food is just as expensive as healthy foods. At the Walmart where I shop, soda costs 3.98 for a 12 pack. I can buy a gallon of orange juice for 3.50. Hot Cheetos are around 3.00 but I can buy a bag of frozen broccoli for 1.50.

I think some poor people are overweight because they view activities such as going to McDonalds as entertainment. If you don't have money, you aren't going to be taking your kids to a movie or theme park. You will likely look for some place cheap to take your kids. You might buy them a Happy Meal because it will be tough to afford anything else. I teach at a poor, rural school and I have a lot of students who get real excited when their parents decide to take them to McDonalds or Burger King. Their parents have been out working 2 or 3 jobs all week so they take their kids out for fast food to spend time with them.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Default so poverty makes you fat...?

Yes it does.

It also makes you breed indiscriminately, join gangs, commit crimes, and kill each other.

Of course everyone doesn't agree that poverty is the cause of this.

Some think it's the fault of Rap and Hip Hop.

Others think it's genetic.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Yes it does.

It also makes you breed indiscriminately, join gangs, commit crimes, and kill each other.

You're kidding me right?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Low Cost Emergency Menu

Here's a $45 a week menu to feed 4-6 people.
The intro to that site says the meale are "nutritious and healthy," but I'm not seeing it. Pancakes and syrup ... hot dogs ... macaroni and cheese ... French toast ... corn fritters ... refried beans.

Yes, this food is cheap, but there's a lot of saturated fat in there. I also didn't see nearly enough fruits and vegetables.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I think poverty just makes you poor. I've been living on very little lately. I ate an entire box of mac & cheese yesterday. Mixed in some frozen vegetables. I basically fed myself for $1. Being poor does not make me eat a lot or obsess on food. You just eat what you need and get through the day.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM

244 posts, read 717,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Yes it does.

viewed as sarcasm, I have to admit...I chuckled

Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
If you are willing to cook every meal you can eat healthy on the cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness