Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

The varied nutrition demands of our body means that a single food group will be unable to provide our body with all the nutrients it needs. Our diet has to be a mixture of different groups of foods so that our body gets all the nutrients it needs for its proper functioning. Fruits, vegetables, cereals and pulses, dairy and poultry, fish and meat products are the five main food groups that can account for the varied nutrient needs of our body.

A healthy balanced diet incorporating these five food groups guarantees adequate vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. The dietary requirements of a particular person depend on various factors like age, activity level, body size and gender. One more thing to keep in mind is that one should eat a variety of foods from within and across the food groups. This is because some foods from within a food group give more nutrients than others do. To know more about this topic, you can follow the links given below:

[url]http://www.dietspace.com/[/url]
[url=http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tips.php]Diet and Weight Loss Tips | CaloriesPerHour.com[/url]

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,915 times
Just remember that the RDA of Vitamins are Low and are just enough to keep keep you alive ! This is due to save Goverment money on Hospitals,Schools,Jails, Ect..and abiding to the low federal standards.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times
happy your such a succer lol you crack me up......I'm thinkin that's a solicitation

Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,915 times
I have not had my coffee yet...I see!...good morning

Old 11-19-2008, 07:09 AM

lol ohhh wow.....your too funny.

Good Morning

Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
I eat all of the balanced food groups like kids cereal, pop tarts, Gushers, candy bars, soda, Eggo waffles, and Jelly Bellys.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 AM

Keep up the good work Jon lol

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I eat all of the balanced food groups like kids cereal, pop tarts, Gushers, candy bars, soda, Eggo waffles, and Jelly Bellys.
I swear when I was the most cut and in shape of my life was when I was teaching and training the martial arts 7 days of the week. I remember getting home late and having a big bowl of Lucky Charms and two Newcastle beers for dinner many nights. I'd eat the "cat food" parts of the lucky charms first and save the marshmallow treats for last. Then I'd open up a couple of beers and I was good. Ah, the single life.

The thing is, I would train about 3 hours per day every day back then. I was 6' 1" and around 150 - 160lbs. Now, I eat pretty much anything I want (but its usually the good stuff) and I stay around 175-190lbs depending on if Im cutting or bulking.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Really, Kim567? You don't say.

Myself, I like to balance the piquancy of nacho cheese Doritos with the cloying sweetness of a pint o' Cherry Garcia.***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I'd eat the "cat food" parts of the lucky charms first and save the marshmallow treats for last. Then I'd open up a couple of beers and I was good. Ah, the single life.
You didn't put the beer in your cereal?

***(actually, just thinking about it makes me want to barf ... LMAO)

Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I swear when I was the most cut and in shape of my life was when I was teaching and training the martial arts 7 days of the week. I remember getting home late and having a big bowl of Lucky Charms and two Newcastle beers for dinner many nights. I'd eat the "cat food" parts of the lucky charms first and save the marshmallow treats for last. Then I'd open up a couple of beers and I was good. Ah, the single life.

The thing is, I would train about 3 hours per day every day back then. I was 6' 1" and around 150 - 160lbs. Now, I eat pretty much anything I want (but its usually the good stuff) and I stay around 175-190lbs depending on if Im cutting or bulking.
Haha, yeah if you're working out enough it doesn't matter. I personally am a big fan of sugar cereals in the morning, and would actively debate with anyone who says they are not the best food you can eat if you live an active lifestyle. If you don't, well, that's another story. But most breakfast food is unhealthy, when you think about it, and sugar cereal really isn't. Ok so you have sugar -- so what? Sugar isn't bad for you at all. It's only bad for your teeth, if you don't brush, and it's only bad for your body IF it turns to fat, which only happens when you don't work out. For me, sugar cereal is the best food in the morning, when I'm active especially, because it gives me immediate energy -- carbs are metabolized the fastest, protein much slower, and in the morning you don't need protein, you need carbs. If you're going to eat carbs, fiber won't give you much energy at all, but sugar will. And the perfect part is it won't fill you up very well. A few bowls of cereal will only fill me up for 2-4 hours, not to mention I can work out only an hour after eating cereal, maybe even 45 minutes later, without feeling heavy or gross. So it's the perfect breakfast food, fast energy, immediately metabolized, just the calories I need to start the day. Then as the day progresses, my diet changes to a heavier emphasis on protein, as my muscles are being used and need to be rebuilt.

So 6'1" 150 to 160?! Wow you were SKINNY! haha. I started martial arts at 5'10" low 170s, but as I trained a bit and focused more on cardio / speed / flexibility over weight-lifting and bulk, I dropped to about 166, which is where I've been ever since. It was worth trading a little bit of muscle for more flexibility and speed, but not any more, for me. I would not mind being 175 again if I could still be fast and flexible, but it's just a balance. I don't think I'm "big" at all really, I'm muscular and toned but not big, yet my master always used to say that I should lose more upper body muscle because it was preventing me from moving as fluidly. I think that's not really true, I think that was a lot more my inexperience with some movements, something training would fix, not losing muscle mass. Also I have been very happy to have that extra padding in the form of muscle when I take a hard kick to the chest or whatever, because I can stay upright a lot easier and not have it affect me. If I get kicked hard, I want to be able to react quickly, not be sitting there in agony because it just hit bone, haha. I think it's a mistake of a lot of martial artists to be TOO skinny, assuming skill alone can overcome all physical disadvantages, which it can't -- that's why boxers don't box people way out of their class. I've seen 6' tall martial artists (or taller) fight 5'8" or shorter martial artists and it's almost always advantage to the taller, meatier guy, because their kicks simply hurt more, so they're able to wear down the other person faster.

The only time I saw where this didn't hold true of equal belted opponents was in a 2nd degree black belt fight at a competition, it was totally awesome. The taller guy, who had about 6-7 inches on the shorter dude, was winning easily for about 70% of the fight. He was landing a lot more kicks, really looked like he was the dominating fighter. But he made one critical mistake. He moved in when his opponent was set in the perfect stance, then the shorter guy, crouched in his fighting stance, threw a strong back kick moving upwards into the chest guard of the taller guy, which was wide open, and the blow hit right on the lower ribs, probably breaking a few, I don't know what happened ultimately to that guy but I know he went down immediately, screaming in agony, like everyone in the entire place could hear it and it was one of the last fights of the day. He got up about 7 seconds later, trying to say he was ok and to fight, but then he fell back over and the ref called the fight -- winner by KO to the small guy! It was awesome. He didn't win the fight as a whole, I mean in a blow-for-blow type of way, but he won resoundingly on ONE excellent, perfect back kick to the most vulnerable spot on his opponent. A lot of the masters were saying it was one of the best back kicks they had ever seen, haha, it was so awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness