Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

Hello All...

Along with eating healthier, and excerising more, I'm starting to incorporate running back into my life. I was a track star in school (and we don't need to remind me how long ago that was LOL) but I do miss running but have to lose weight before attacking it full on.

My question is this... I started doing just a few mins of running on my treadmill at home, this after doing about 30 - 40 mins of very fast-paced walking. I really enjoy it but find that I get out of breath very quickly and my son who ran cross country tells me that I should be breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth but that he too would have a hard time doing this. Of course, he's 6'4" and weighs almost nothing.

So for the runners, maybe moreso for those who are just getting back into running after a long absence or for those brand new to running. How do you run and breath correctly?

Any pointers? I know if I can get the breathing down, my stamina is pretty good but not when I'm not breathing right. I know if I can get it right and start running the weight will come off a lot quicker.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
From what I've heard breathe your mouth. The only time I've heard that you should breathe in through your nose is when it is really cold. Also work on being a stomach breather and not a chest breather.

How To Breathe When Running at Runner's World.com

Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
A former high school track man here. I've never heard of deliberately focusing on breathing through the nose. I doubt that you need to do this even in really cold weather. The more you try to force yourself to breathe in some restricted fashion, the more energy you waste on breathing rather than running. By restricting yourself to breathing through the nose, you may also very well be limiting yourself to too little air. You need lots of oxygen when exercising hard. Breathing through the nose only most likely will supply too little air. If you are even thinking about how to breathe, instead of just letting it happen, you are probably breathing incorrectly. Just breathe naturally, which means breathing through the mouth when doing strenuous exercise.

Most likely the reason you were out of breath from running was that you are only beginning to get back into shape. Running is strenuous, and is likely to be very taxing even if your general tendency is to have good stamina. This is even more the case if you have already tired yourself out with some brisk walking before running. Just ease back into shape gradually, breathe naturally, and you should be fine.

Last edited by ogre; 12-15-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
A former high school track man here. I've never heard of deliberately focusing on breathing through the nose. I doubt that you need to do this even in really cold weather. The more you try to force yourself to breathe in some restricted fashion, the more energy you waste on breathing rather than running. By restricting yourself to breathing through the nose, you may also very well be limiting yourself to too little air. You need lots of oxygen when exercising hard. Breathing through the nose only most likely will supply too little air. If you are even thinking about how to breathe, instead of just letting it happen, you are probably breathing incorrectly. Just breathe naturally, which means breathing through the mouth when doing strenuous exercise.

Most likely the reason you were out of breath from running was that you are only beginning to get back into shape. Running is strenuous, and is likely to be very taxing even if your general tendency is to have good stamina. This is even more the case if you have already tired yourself out with some brisk walking before running. Just ease back into shape gradually, breathe naturally, and you should be fine.
Totally agree here. Anytime I've focused on breathing a certain way, it completely took away from the run. I breathe through my mouth. Just do what comes naturally and doesn't require you to think!

I also think it's harder to get into a rhythm while running on a treadmill. I find it much easier when running outside - but unfortunately we can't always do that! I've been having to run inside the last few days due to the bitter cold.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
hey girl....pace yourself......ALWAYS watch your heart rate...chances are if you are gasping for air your heart rate is not where it should be. Remember, if you elevate your heart rate beyond your target zone consistently you will not burn fat you will burn muscle and do damage. Pace yourself and breath in through nose out through mouth....hold for a second or two......keep checking that heart rate. It's a process, you need to build up your resistance but you will...just keep working it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness