Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:00 PM

70 posts, read 313,387 times

Advertisements

Anyone a member of Planet Fitness? I know experiences may vary by location but what do you think of it in general, especially in terms of cleanliness and maintenance.

A brand new one recently opened in my area and I'm thinking of switching because it's only $10/mo.

I'm mainly a treadmill, elliptical, and weight machines user.

The main drawbacks seem to be that there's no classes at Planet Fitness (which I haven't been to in years anyway at my current gym) and that it's about 20 minutes from where I live. My current gym is 15 minutes away, but I pay almost $40/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
I got a membership a few months ago.

We have one one mile down the road. It is small (we live in a small town) but has what i need, i do bike and elliptical and some weights.

What I like about it is for $20 I can go to the one where my dad lives, we go together. That location is much bigger and nicer.

My DH complains periodically about our small one, but I told him you can't beat the two minute travel time both ways.

I might be willing to travel an extra 5 minutes to save $30. Unless you want the classes, that is, which you don't seem to.

Ask for a trial and see if they will give you one. Then check it out before you decide.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 12,931 times
I loved Planet Fitness. I had to move and there isn't one near me. I would love to go back to one. The gym I go to know is smaller less equipment and priced higher for a lot less.
If had more money I would open a franchise up all over the Twin Cities.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I was a member for about a year and it was ok. It was clean and well maintained.

The only complaint I had was that they didn't enforce the rules all that well. There was such a limited amount of weight machines, and the circuit area was supposed to be for circuit only, but meatheads were always horning in and screwing up the flow for those of us who really wanted to circuit train. I complained a few times and a big sign went up, then complained again and nothing happened, so I went to another gym where I am much happier. I don't like to spend more time in the gym than I have to, so waiting on other people to get out of the way (while not following the rules) just made it inconvenient.

If you just want treadmill and elliptical, you'll probably be happy.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,785 times
I recently joined Planet Fitness here in Baltimore and I love it! I got the Black Card membership so my husband and a few friends can go as guests. You can't beat that for just 20 dollars a month. The PF I go to is very nice. Only three minutes from home (on my way to and from work) so it's convenient, the gym is clean and well maintained. This is a new franchise so all the equipment is new. Rules are strictly enforced at that gym too. I love the 'no judgement' approach the gym takes. A very welcoming environment for us chunky girls...lol. I highly recommend PF to anyone who wants to get and stay in shape and do it in a fun and accepting place!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:55 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
My hubby and I just joined PF this weekend. We're going for the first time tomorrow after work, so I can't speak from experience yet, but ours looks really nice.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,725 times
Planet Fitness is designed for individuals who casually want to exercise, with no real goals in mind. If you like lifting weights, PF is terrible: no Olympic bar or plates. Every time I drive past PF on the way to my ghetto gym, I see a lot of people who'd be better served simply laying off the doughnuts than spending hours on a treadmill. My guess is they cater the crowd of people who have bought into the current crop of fitness lies floating around. Nothing wrong with casually exercising, but it's really not going to improve your health or make you stronger.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,767 times
I have been a member for about two months. I was looking for some place to work out, but didn't want to pay too much. For $10.00 I found Planet Fitness. If I have questions on how a machine works, they help me and stay with me until I have it. They keep the place clean too, there is someone going into the locker room with the clean up kit and keeping excess water off the counters and floor, cleaning the showers and they are out cleaning and wiping down all of the machines. I really like it and don't feel intimidated by any muscle bound people bugging you.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
PF is good for casual lifters with no plan or goals. If you are serious about weight lifting and train hard with real weight, they don't want you there.

You can have pizza there and tootsie rolls anytime you want though. Clever marketing.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you want to casually exercise then this place may work for you. If you are more serious or just simply want more options then pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness