Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Natural, real peanut butter will separate, with oil rising to the top, no problemo, you stir it back in and keep in the fridge. If the oil does not rise to the top, it includes some hydrogenated stuff (essentially, Crisco).

Good thread. In general the healthy foods are the cheap foods. If you shop "around the perimeter" of most stores, you are staying in the produce, bulk foods, fresh meats, etc. which are both healthy and economical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I haven't read through these threads yet so sorry if my ideas have already been offered:

I shop on sale. For instance, when I went shopping this past weekend, I bought the apples that were the cheapest-Royal Gala and not Pink Lady. Citrus Fruits are a hit this time of year as well right now.

I buy whatever meats are on sale and center my meals around that.

I am a huge proponent of homemade soups (well, homemade anything!), and it is actually so much cheaper because for just a few dollars worth of ingredients I have a HUGE pot of soup that makes meals for my hubby and I for couple of days. I could never go back to canned soup again.

I'm forcing myself to cut back on the soda. I drink a lot of water with fresh lemon. I buy whatever juices are on sale at the time, and I also dilute my juice with water (cuts back on sugar/corn syrup intake as well).

My biggest splurges are usually on deli cheese. I love cheese and tend to be a bit of snob when it comes to the dairy aisle!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Default A friend of mine told me that it is relatively simple; stay away from soda, dessert/candy, fried foods and processed foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
We've touched this issue in a few threads recently, but let's put our heads together and shatter the "eating healthy costs too much" myth. List/discuss the healthy foods that are a good value and/or ways to procure low cost healthy foods.

A friend of mine told me that it is relatively simple; stay away from soda, dessert/candy, fried foods and processed foods.

Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Natural, real peanut butter will separate, with oil rising to the top, no problemo, you stir it back in and keep in the fridge. If the oil does not rise to the top, it includes some hydrogenated stuff (essentially, Crisco).

Good thread. In general the healthy foods are the cheap foods. If you shop "around the perimeter" of most stores, you are staying in the produce, bulk foods, fresh meats, etc. which are both healthy and economical.
Well, it could also be palm oil in peanut butter that doesn't separate (but if you read the ingredients on a jar of Skippy and think about it for a while, it seems a lot less like food).

Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm forcing myself to cut back on the soda. I drink a lot of water with fresh lemon. I buy whatever juices are on sale at the time, and I also dilute my juice with water (cuts back on sugar/corn syrup intake as well).

My biggest splurges are usually on deli cheese. I love cheese and tend to be a bit of snob when it comes to the dairy aisle!
Would you say that coffee would be a good alternative to soda when it comes to needing energy to stay awake? That is probably the only reason why I am still with soda.

So I've heard that deli cheese is better than processed cheese. But by how much though?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Would you say that coffee would be a good alternative to soda when it comes to needing energy to stay awake? That is probably the only reason why I am still with soda.

So I've heard that deli cheese is better than processed cheese. But by how much though?
I just drink water or coffee during the day. Only 2 cups of fat free milk in the morning and evening for calcium intake but that's it. A good cup of coffee gives me all the energy I need.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I just drink water or coffee during the day. Only 2 cups of fat free milk in the morning and evening for calcium intake but that's it. A good cup of coffee gives me all the energy I need.
A cup without any sugars and creams in it?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
A cup without any sugars and creams in it?
Drink your coffee black. A good strategy is not to drink any calories. Get them all from solid food.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:

The location where you pick the cheese up has nothing to do with whether or not it's processed.

Land-o-Lake's and Boar's Head American cheese sliced fresh to order at the deli is still processed cheese.

The store brand cottage cheese is still natural cheese.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:

A friend of mine told me that it is relatively simple; stay away from soda, dessert/candy, fried foods and processed foods.

Thoughts?
Stay away from eating more calories than you burn. You can overeat healthful foods too. cheddar cheese is good but I wouldn't recommend eating a block of it in one day. About the only thing you can eat in unlimited quantities is steamed or raw green vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness