Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times

Advertisements

Someone at the gym approached me about their "diet". So I decided to start this thread....

Ok, I get asked all of the time about someone goofy diet and my answer is always the same for everyone: Diets DO NOT work!

Of course I was nice about it when I said it and I did not exactly say Diets don't work. I said it in a way that would get the person to listen not run away from some mad man.

But for the sake of this thread I am being blunt!

Most of the hyped up trendy diets do not work. They are not made for YOU. They are at best counterproductive to your goals(whatever they are) and many could end up harming you mentally and physically.

Any nutrtional plan must be specific to your goals so you can meet you needs.

For example: A long distance runner requires much less protein than someone like me, that works out to build lean mass/muscle.

So therefore our "diet" would be totaly different.

That's just an example to show YOU that the trendy diets( money pit) DO NOT take into account the nutritional needs of each individual.

Just in a general sense if you want to get "in shape"(gain or lose weight) have a plan that consists of moderate protien and complex carbs, eat whole foods and leave the processed food alone. Of course eat fruits and veggies and if possible get some fiber. I would also add a EFA supplement like Flax seed oil. I like UDO's Blend with Omeega 3-6-9.

Bottom line is learn how to eat correctly and you don't have to worry about trendy diets.

BTW, everything you need is at you local grocery store. Sorry folks, you do not need Weight Watchers, and all the other stuff the requires "special foods". You don't need any of it.

Change your nutrition habits and get a good fitness plan the involves working out with weights and maybe a little cardio(depending on you goals) at least 3 days a week. Be consistant and YOU WILL see results.

This has been a PSA from:

Ron

Stay Fit for life not just for the wedding or summer vacation!

Last edited by Ron.; 12-21-2008 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
People know this. If they are alive, they know this. They HAVE to because I've been shouting it from the rooftops for YEARS. The problem is, most people are not willing to do the work, to make the sacrifices, to retrain their brains. That's why the gastric bypass surgeries are now becoming commonplace.

It pisses me off that we, as a country, have such a pitiful attitude towards health, and we do so much to enable people to be, and stay, unhealthy. I don't have the answer to forcing people to make the right choices, but I will continue the shouting.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
I am not sure if they know it because many will ask: What's eating correctly mean?

But I do agree about people not wanting to do the work and of course it will show, one way or another.

I have found eating correctly is much easier than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
People know this. If they are alive, they know this. They HAVE to because I've been shouting it from the rooftops for YEARS. The problem is, most people are not willing to do the work, to make the sacrifices, to retrain their brains. That's why the gastric bypass surgeries are now becoming commonplace.

It pisses me off that we, as a country, have such a pitiful attitude towards health, and we do so much to enable people to be, and stay, unhealthy. I don't have the answer to forcing people to make the right choices, but I will continue the shouting.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,328 times
Great info Ron. You are so very correct. My diet is similiar to yours only geared toward keeping cholesterol low without meds. People don't understand that its a lifestyle change and not a diet.

BTW your posts look very much like someone on another forum I'm on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness