Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Sorry. I posted my response before seeing your post above. I do agree with you that access to education and opportunities for exercise is a contributing factor.
No problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Just because someone is poor it doesn't mean they are impoverished. Fat doesn't come from undereating. If you cant eat..you wont get fat. Processed filler foods were created to help people through the depression...People abused it and got fat on it.

I really wouldn't count l.a. as you don't know how many wanna-be young actors are dieting.

But it really does boil down too if you can afford to fatten up, you are just not really that poor.
You may not have money like other people...But you are not starving.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Come to my area of Tampa which is middle class to wealthy and it will blow your mind all of the fat kids you see. I am nosy when I am grocery shopping and I see the junk that the parents put in their cart and these people are in no way poor or even close. It's disgusting that people care so little about their kids that they are willing to let them have life long health issues. I will say there may be a blessing in that fat kids probably don't get picked on as much anymore since they are becoming the majority.

I just hate that mentality that because they're kids, they can eat whatever they want. Even though kids with better metabolisms won't get fatter, they'll eventually get something like diabetes or cancer in their early adulthood because the body can only take so much of that crap. I see that now with some of the guys I grew up with. They were the better built athletes, and all those cheesesteaks, sodas and chip diets have caught up with them. Failed kidneys and diabetes and they are just hitting 30.

My mom instilled in us that we needed to eat veggies and less fast food even as kids because you are building a foundation for a healthier adult life. Some of my sibs have instilled that into their kids, but not all. While nobody's guaranteed perfect health, I'm not going to voluntarily reduce my chances. That way of life has to start when you are a young child or it will hurt you in the years to come.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
We can sit here and discuss for days the correlation between someones financial status and their weight, but the fact that I see it with my own eyes in children speaks much louder than "sitting around a pond" just hypothesizing about it. I see that children in poorer areas ARE INDEED much more overweight/obese than kids in more affluent areas, I SEE IT.
As a junior high school teacher, I do as well.....everyday I see it. Being unhealthy and overweight doesn't descriminate by gender or socioeconmic status.......that's just totally absured.........

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I just hate that mentality that because they're kids, they can eat whatever they want. Even though kids with better metabolisms won't get fatter, they'll eventually get something like diabetes or cancer in their early adulthood because the body can only take so much of that crap. I see that now with some of the guys I grew up with. They were the better built athletes, and all those cheesesteaks, sodas and chip diets have caught up with them. Failed kidneys and diabetes and they are just hitting 30.

My mom instilled in us that we needed to eat veggies and less fast food even as kids because you are building a foundation for a healthier adult life. Some of my sibs have instilled that into their kids, but not all. While nobody's guaranteed perfect health, I'm not going to voluntarily reduce my chances. That way of life has to start when you are a young child or it will hurt you in the years to come.
I see this everyday as a teacher. I have had countless students who have told me they have things such as chocolate cake, hot Cheetos, chips, soda, and ice cream for dinner. I have also had students whose parents take them to McDonald's several times a week. Even though, they are kids, I am seeing the health effects of their poor diet. I teach kindergarten and one of my students already received a letter from the school nurse saying he had high blood pressure. I also have many students who complain about being really tired all the time because of all the junk food they ate last night.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 AM

58 posts, read 139,597 times
I live in Sweden and as a swede whenever obesity is discussed the US is described as the nightmare scenario where a huge percentage of people, young-middle age are fat. Is this really the case?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
I live in Sweden and as a swede whenever obesity is discussed the US is described as the nightmare scenario where a huge percentage of people, young-middle age are fat. Is this really the case?
I think so.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
1 in 3 americans is obese. its not a poverty thing. its an american thing.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I see this everyday as a teacher. I have had countless students who have told me they have things such as chocolate cake, hot Cheetos, chips, soda, and ice cream for dinner. I have also had students whose parents take them to McDonald's several times a week. Even though, they are kids, I am seeing the health effects of their poor diet. I teach kindergarten and one of my students already received a letter from the school nurse saying he had high blood pressure. I also have many students who complain about being really tired all the time because of all the junk food they ate last night.
Now that's sad! Something has to be done. It's a huge problem.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 AM

58 posts, read 139,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
1 in 3 americans is obese. its not a poverty thing. its an american thing.
OMG!
In sweden it's like 1 in 10 and I thought that was high...

Well about this whole obesity because of being poor/rich...

Both my parents are obese and I'm not, during my second year in highschool I noticed I was getting a bit "puffy", so I changed my workout habits...now that I decide what I eat I've also changed that...
Wholegrain ftw...

It's really an atitude thing. If someone is too lazy to work out or change what they eat, they deserve to be fat. It's a bit different when it's a fat kid, then it's on the parents, but when a person is old enough to decide what to do with his/her free time, and above all when it's time to decide for him/herself what to cook, then there is no excuses. Here in sweden (and I guess in america too) noone who doesn't live on the streets is too poor to eat healthy and get a gymcard at one of the cheaper places, even if they're on welfare.

You get in the shape you deserve, suck it up or get fat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness