Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM

58 posts, read 139,632 times

Advertisements

I'm 19, play football here in sweden where I live (bit lower demands on players here i guess) and I'm almost always on the short end when it comes to weight, I've lined up against guys who got 40 kgs over me thats like 85lbs, yet I beat em. your son seems to be a good athlete already at his age, and I think he wont have problems being "pushed around" as long as he is competitive.

As for him being small...when I was 10 my mother had the same worries you do, my ribs could be clearly seen through my skin etc, but second year in highschool i was the opposite of that and if I wouldnt have started exercising seriously by then I would be obese by now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,475 times
well if he plays soccer, and does running then he does not need the bulk, in fact it will hurt him

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
well if he plays soccer, and does running then he does not need the bulk, in fact it will hurt him
Perhaps more to the point, a 10 year old can't bulk. His body is still totally committed to growing UP and will be more or less incapable of growing OUT unless it's because he's getting fat. The good thing about a very active 10 year old boy is that he isn't really capable of getting FAT either. He probably just breezes through 6,000 calories in a way that I can only dream about these days.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
And as a bit of an afterthought, there really isn't such a thing as "muscleboundedness". A man or a woman's relative strength has a lot to do with his or her relative speed, quickness and agility. It's true that one does not need to bulk for soccer, but being bigger and stronger does not necessarily preclude being faster.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,223 times
let him do what he likes. theres a place for all body types in most sports. quickness is a gift. he'll be fine. also, talk to your doctor about some weight gaining foods. i've known some skinny guys that lift weights and drink ensure weight gainer, eat plenty of peanut butter. stuff like that.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
He should just continue to do what he's doing. IMO, kids shouldn't start any sort of weight training until puberty. It's great that he seems to have a taste for healthy foods and prefers being active instead of spending hours in front of the TV playing video games.

While weight training should be off limits right now, there is nothing wrong with your son doing pushups, sit ups, jumping rope, ect...

You also might consider enrolling him in a martial arts class such as Karate or Kung Fu. Many of the drills one practices in martial arts will build strength and flexibility without the use of weights.

It seems like you are a bit worried about your son playing football due to his size. I'm betting that if your son is athletic and quick as you say he would be fine. Many times, the bigger kids that have started their growth spurts don't have the ability of the smaller, quicker kids because they haven't adjusted to their new size. Size is important in football but if you can't move or react quickly, all the size in the world won't make you a good player. I coach pee wee (7-9 year olds) football and my most effective and aggressive players were two of the smallest boys on the team. They were far and away the hardest hitters on the team as well as the most effective players despite being outweighted 30 + pounds.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Just feed him healthy food. Don't give a kid a protein shake ever. Excessive protein is not good for the system at all and there are not any long term studies on those yet. Just if he wants to play football have a private word with the coach. Most coaches I have seen really do look out for the little guy of the year. Don't worry..bruises fade and bones mend. For the safety of all the kids you should ask about those neck protectors they have for them in football. I don't know what they are called but I see all the little pee-wees around here with them on. The coach should know.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Just feed him healthy food. Don't give a kid a protein shake ever. Excessive protein is not good for the system at all and there are not any long term studies on those yet. Just if he wants to play football have a private word with the coach. Most coaches I have seen really do look out for the little guy of the year. Don't worry..bruises fade and bones mend. For the safety of all the kids you should ask about those neck protectors they have for them in football. I don't know what they are called but I see all the little pee-wees around here with them on. The coach should know.
The "Cowboy Collar" is probably what you are referring to. A lot of pads can accept a bolt-on "neck roll", but they are not really as functional as the former. The Cowboy Collar was developed for rodeo riders to prevent whiplash and concussion injuries from the intense violence one experiences on the back of a bull or bronco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness