Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

HI everyone... I've been following a stricter diet and working out again mostly doing cardio stuff as I don't belong to a gym and have not bought hand weights yet but my question is this.

If I want to start running again which I do now and then for very short periods on the treadmill would it behoove me to buy a good pair of running shoes? The reason I'm asking is that they seem to have a o lot more cushion and shock absorption and I guess due to my heavier weight it's in the back of my mind that I may get a stress fracture if I go nuts with running right now. I've been working a lot on my breathing and that has helped a lot and now I want to really push forward but want to have the right gear...

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Go to a dedicated running store like RoadRunner Sports or A Snails Pace to be properly fitted for a running shoe. These stores do much more than just check your size and recommend a pair of shoes. They check your gait, measure your arch, etc. and fit you with exactly what you need for whatever type of running you plan on doing.

I am partial to Nike, Brooks and Saucony brands though.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM

109 posts, read 581,404 times
Hello,

I used to run cross country in H.S. but for the last decade I've been running mostly on the treadmill and sometimes outdoors. I highly suggest investing in a good pair of running shoes; your joints and tendons will thank you for it! Even during H.S., I developed problems with my knees, ankles and hips from all of the pounding they would take from hitting the concrete, but as I got older I replaced my running shoes every few months when the soles would wear out and that seemed to help out a great deal!

I keep a separate pair of running shoes for the treadmill and for outdoors. Thankfully, my treadmill has a lot of cushion, but the soles of my shoes will still wear out and need to be replaced every few to several months (I used to run over 50 mi./week and now I'm down to about 10-15 mi.). When the soles wear out, I'll use those shoes to go to the gym or as regular tennis shoes and I'll buy myself a new pair of running shoes.

I've always used Asics Gels. You can check them out here: ASICS America - Women's Footwear. Don't worry about getting this year's models. You can often find good deals at Academy or Oshman's on last year's models.

Good luck with your new workout routine! Remember that you'll be more inclined to stick to running/walking if your joints etc. aren't hurting you each time you run, so having supportive shoes will pay you back in many ways.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I get all my running shoes from Road Runner Sports. They size your foot and give you a running test and everything ... Check them out !

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
I'm partial to New Balance, although I'm turned off by the fact they have models not made in the US. Opt for the higher end American made NB shoes if you go that route.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Find a good running store and have them fit you to a running shoe. You'll pay more than ordering online but if you like the shoe you can then buy replacements on-line. Replace your shoes every 300-400 miles or so. DON'T scimp and try to get extra miles out of your old shoes...running in worn out shoes is a sure way to injury!

Running is good and part of a healthy lifestyle but don't expect to run the pounds off. At 100-150 calories burned per mile run (ballpark estimate) you won't be able to run enough at this point to burn significant calories at this point. You will end up injured first....instead focus on your diet to take the pounds off which will make running easier. Once you get to a healthier weight you can focus on the exercise as a way to maintain weight.

Also, taking it easy with the running will let your body adapt to the stresses of running...this will take many months, maybe up to a year before you can start piling the running miles on.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
If I want to start running again which I do now and then for very short periods on the treadmill would it behoove me to buy a good pair of running shoes?
Always! No matter what you're doing -- even "just" walking -- you need good shoes! Find a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you.

Absorb everything they tell you so that for subsequent purchases you can go on your own. I walk about 100 miles a month, and buy three pair of running shoes a year. Usually my shins will tell me when it's time to buy a new pair.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words and advice. I actually do have a shoe store near me that is managed by all runners, they watch you walk, check your gait, etc and then determine based on all of that what you will need. I'm visiting them this weekend!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words and advice. I actually do have a shoe store near me that is managed by all runners, they watch you walk, check your gait, etc and then determine based on all of that what you will need. I'm visiting them this weekend!

Another thought....be sure to haggle with the salesperson a bit. Mostly likely, they will try to sell you that most expensive shoe for your type of gait. Alot of times there is a cheaper shoe available that will work with your particular gait, even within a particular brand.

Example, whenever I go to the running store and look at their Asics running shoes, they always try to sell me the Asics Nimbus which goes for $110-120. I know the Asics Cumulus is very similar to the Nimbus and cost $70-80. I buy/wear both (whatever is on sale at the time) but its good to know what different models of shoes will work for you.

In other words, within a brand of shoe there is usually different models of shoes at different price points but will work for a runner with a given gait/style of running.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Example, whenever I go to the running store and look at their Asics running shoes, they always try to sell me the Asics Nimbus which goes for $110-120. I know the Asics Cumulus is very similar to the Nimbus and cost $70-80. I buy/wear both (whatever is on sale at the time) but its good to know what different models of shoes will work for you.
And there are subtle differences among running shoes of the same type that can end up making a huge difference in run quality and enjoyment. I'm an underpronator (run on the outsides of my feet) with overly flexible ankles. I need a running shoe with some nice cushion but otherwise zero support in terms of how they move my feet once they land on the ground. Cumuluses work well for me; but when I tried a pair of just a hint if stability Nimbuses because the store was out of Cumuluses, I started getting noticible knee pain after about 50 miles on the shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness