Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,354,915 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be cool to post this mostly for people that aren't aware of how much some of these places offer.
The gym we go to is part of a racquet and fitness center and its really fun for the whole family. They have:
Free Weights room
Nautilus room
indoor racquetball and tennis courts
indoor pool
dry sauna
hot tub
indoor basketball court
ping pong
outdoor clay courts
plus they have a gathering room with couches, coffee pot and drink machine where you can sit and watch through the glass when matches are going on or just watch the big screen.

Most days I only work out 30 minutes to an hour and then I'll run doing something with the kids and wife, or I'll spot my sons in the free weight room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM

72 posts, read 189,893 times
alot of free wieghts mostly bench press

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM

647 posts, read 2,077,970 times
I work out at home for various reasons that I have mentioned in our "exercise" forum on this site, but, on the few occasions that I go with my wife to her gym, I tend to work FREE WEIGHTS, bench press, squat, shrugs, and some shoulder work. On other occasions, I have worked on treadmill, alternating brisk walking with all-out sprints in intervals.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,271,302 times
I used to go to the gym to check out some butts but then I realized I was paying for something I could see for free at the mall.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
I use free weights, the ball for abs, the floor mats for my core exercises and stretching and the cardio machines (eliptical, stairmaster, recumbent bike, treadmill). My son, who is a personal fitness trainer, trains me and he doesn't like the machines. Once in a while he will put me on a machine, like a leg machine or a particular ab machine, or a pull down machine for shoulders or lats, but he's a big fan of free weights and isometric exercises, so I get to do lots of squats and lunges (my favorites ). I also stick to a nutrition plan specifically designed for me by a registered dietician. In addition to my cardio warm ups and cool downs after my weight training, I dance every day so I get a lot of cardio there too. Plus, just to clear my head I like to go for a run at the local high school track by my house. I run about 2 miles, maybe a little more, about 3 times a week.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times
I have a really nice home gym and I go to Equinox gym that opened about a year ago near my house. Best gym ever. They really do EVERYTHING right!

Check out the photos here:
Equinox | Club Tour of Woodland Hills Woodland Hills CA 91367

They offer:

Free Weights
Top of the line machines
Brand new top of the line Ellipticals, Treadmills and a couple of steppers (Life Fitness, Precor, etc.) that you can just plug your Ipod directly into or plug in your ear phones to watch tv.
They have about 15 or so plasma TVs on the walls and even an nice plasma in dressing room lounge.
Yoga studio - offer many different types of yoga
Pilates studio (they have several of those pilates machines reformers)
Full Service Spa - massage, facials, etc.
Spinning classes
laundry services
Boxing studio and classes
Juice bar
Steam room
Clothing store
They even do babysitting for babies at least 6 months old.

Even though the gym is less than jogging distance from home, sometimes I just go in my garage/Kwoon/Dojo to workout.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I have a really nice home gym and I go to Equinox gym that opened about a year ago near my house. Best gym ever. They really do EVERYTHING right!

They offer:

Free Weights
Top of the line machines
Brand new top of the line Ellipticals, Treadmills and a couple of steppers (Life Fitness, Precor, etc.) that you can just plug your Ipod directly into or plug in your ear phones to watch tv.
They have about 15 or so plasma TVs on the walls and even an nice plasma in dressing room lounge.
Spinning classes
laundry services
Juice bar
Steam room
Clothing store

Even though the gym is less than jogging distance from home, sometimes I just go in my garage/Kwoon/Dojo to workout.
When I lived in Texas I went to a gym called Lifetime Fitness. Your gym sounds very similar to Lifetime. I wish we had one of those here in the desert. Life Time Fitness - Feel good inside

Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM

19,469 posts, read 22,373,264 times
Free weights, universal, cardio and chores.

All at home. We live in the hills so you get a hell of a workout just running in the neighborhood, I've got a small 'gym' in the basement, and I mix my routine with heavy chores like splitting wood etc..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 AM

I think it helps keep my mood up beat by going plus its such a social place, my kids have three friends that go regularly plus our friends.
I alternate my workouts working more upper body one day and lower the next and really enjoy the running I get in playing tennis. I have a friend I made way back when I owned the gas stations that still meets us with his wife.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

They offer:

Free Weights
Top of the line machines
Spinning classes
laundry services
Juice bar
Steam room
Clothing store

This is what I'm talking about, much much more than just a weight room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness