Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Maybe the shoes that I've been wearing are a little bit small...that would explain the bruising on my toes. But I couldn't stand the loose feeling of the Sauconys, which were half a size bigger. I took them back. Maybe it's a width thing? Somebody here said that Nikes are generally narrower than other shoes, and Nikes are what I'm used to. The extra room in the toe area of the Sauconys didn't bother me, but the loose feeling around the ankle did. I tied them tighter so they wouldn't feel loose, but that hurt my feet.

Maybe I'm just used to shoes that are too small for me? I don't know. But if I have to choose between toe bruises and shoes that flop around while I'm running or hurt my ankles, I'd rather have the toe bruises.
Don't go for the toe bruises. Seriously, that can really damage your feet. There are ways of lacing and insoles you can use for the smaller foot to secure the shoe better. Check out Superfeet insoles, they have ones that are good for running and will move your foot just slightly up and forward.

Also, fit isn't just about the length of the foot, it also has to do with width and foot volume. If you have a low foot volume (foot is shorter height-wise), insoles can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
^^^^
The insoles are a good idea, and I completely forgot to mention them earlier. I use insoles in my all my work boots to give me arch support, and to help take up some volume. I buy Sole inserts, and highly recommend them. They are about $50 a pair. Google them to find their website. It is cheapest to order straight from them.

Stay away from bruised toes. My gf had them before she was properly fitted. They are very uncomfortable, and greatly impact your daily activities.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
I'm too embarrassed to go back to that shoe store, I feel like they think I don't know what I'm talking about. But I feel like I'm the one who's had to live with my feet for 27 years, so I feel like I know my feet better than they do. It wasn't a big chain store like RoadRunner. It was a small independent specialty store, so maybe the employees aren't complete experts. Maybe they're just given basic pointers. And, honestly, I think my feet are a little odd, they're two different sizes apparently.

The place I went to was the only specialty running store that I know of in my area. But I'm seriously way more comfortable in my old Nikes than in the shoes they recommended. The new shoes felt weird. I'm either going to buy a pair online or maybe travel a little bit to go to a different specialty store.

I think what I may do is buy a new pair of Nikes online, a half size bigger. If they feel too big, I'll buy the insoles. Does that sound like a good idea?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
The most comfortable running shoe Ive ever owned was a pair of Footjoy's and they were probably the lightest too. Someone I know that was having problems with one foot hurting and calf and knee problems in one leg found out by going to the Dr. that he had one leg slightly shorter than the other. He had blamed the shoes for years and one Dr. visit corrected the problem, from what he said its fairly common.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
I'm too embarrassed to go back to that shoe store, I feel like they think I don't know what I'm talking about. But I feel like I'm the one who's had to live with my feet for 27 years, so I feel like I know my feet better than they do. It wasn't a big chain store like RoadRunner. It was a small independent specialty store, so maybe the employees aren't complete experts. Maybe they're just given basic pointers. And, honestly, I think my feet are a little odd, they're two different sizes apparently.

The place I went to was the only specialty running store that I know of in my area. But I'm seriously way more comfortable in my old Nikes than in the shoes they recommended. The new shoes felt weird. I'm either going to buy a pair online or maybe travel a little bit to go to a different specialty store.

I think what I may do is buy a new pair of Nikes online, a half size bigger. If they feel too big, I'll buy the insoles. Does that sound like a good idea?
Don't be embarrassed. And you may know your feet better, but that doesn't mean you know how shoes fit better.

I fit boots for years, you would be surprised how many people would come in thinking they knew what their feet needed, I would find they needed the complete opposite, and they would come back to thank me. That being said, if you tell them where it hurts, is too tight, is too loose, and they don't try to find something that works, time to find a new store. I really don't recommend buying online unless you know exactly what you want (as in, you've owned them before).

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Don't be embarrassed. And you may know your feet better, but that doesn't mean you know how shoes fit better.

I fit boots for years, you would be surprised how many people would come in thinking they knew what their feet needed, I would find they needed the complete opposite, and they would come back to thank me. That being said, if you tell them where it hurts, is too tight, is too loose, and they don't try to find something that works, time to find a new store. I really don't recommend buying online unless you know exactly what you want (as in, you've owned them before).
I agree. Don't be embarrassed. You spent good $$$ on those shoes. Go back to the store and explain the problem. Sometimes a new lacing pattern can do wonders to adjust the fit, as can insoles.

The shoes *will* feel different. If you were running in old shoes without proper support and cushion it may take a bit adjust to the feel of the new pair.

I also agree with the above re:buying online. You can buy online after you find your perfect fit/brand.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
I have a pair of Air Max 360. I wish I would have never bought them because they're expensive and now I can't run without them. I think I'm on my 4th pair. You don't really notice the difference until you run in another shoe.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

211 posts, read 979,070 times
Quote:

I just starting reading this thread, so I might be a little late.

Sorry to hear you are having problems finding the right shoe. As an avid runner, I cannot even stress enough how important the shoe is.

Nike's usually run very narrow. My foot is medium width, but I need a wider toe box. I used to wear Saucony's, but after a couple of years, my form changed (this is normal), and I had to switch shoes.

The *only* shoe I found that is comfortable is the Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 3. AMAZING! The shoe is not as narrow as most Nike's and the cushioning is absolutely incredible. A similar shoe is the Addidas SuperNova, but that shoe still tended to be a little to narrow for me. The Air Zoom Vomero+ 3 is Nike's top-of-the-line shoe, so it is expensive. However, considering how much I run, it is worth it.

When my knees start to hurt, then I know my shoes are worn out and I need a new pair - - - usually every 5 months. As far as size, I am always ONE entire size up in a running shoe.

Is that the only specialty runner's store in town? Don't feel embarrassed about taking the shoe's back, and by all means, don't worry about what they think. I've taken shoes back before.

I always take a pair of my old running shoes to the store with me. The people on staff at my local running shop can tell by the way my old pair are worn, which shoe would be best for me. Old shoes tell a lot about your gait, form, supination / pronation - - - VERY important.

Overall, if your in pain, than 99.9% of the time, it's the shoe.

Good luck . . . I'm sure you will find something. Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness