Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times

Advertisements

I LOVE the gyn at my school. It's bigger than Ikea down the road from us, LOL. It's like 400,000 sq ft! Large fitness center, 3 pools (one of them leisurely with a waterslide), indoor racquetball courts, a bunch of tennis courts gallore, basketball courts, rock climbing wall. It's hilarious, though, because there are elevators in it and many folks use them. It's understandable, though, because it is 7 floors.

I also love going to have some eye candy to look at while exercising It makes the cardio more tolerable and in fact makes me look forward to it just to see some hotties nice booties on treadmills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
No gym for me. I'm into fast and furious walking right now; hope to build up to a slow jog. I'd like to find a second hand weight bench so I can make use of hubby's weights collecting dust.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've signed up for gym memberships before, but I've always found that I can't stand going there. I don't mind the equipment and working out, it's the posers that drive me crazy! And among other things:

* People talking on cell phones on the treadmills,
* Men making lots of loud, grunting noises while lifting heavy weights
* People who sweat excessively and work on equipment I want to use
* Loud potty talk during workouts

I'd always leave the gym in a bad mood, so I finally bought some weights for working out at home and took up running.

Anyone else not like gyms?
Yes, it's boring and loud, and it smells funky. When I leave my office at the end of the day, I want to relax and be in pleasant surroundings. Trips to the gym tend to add more stress and noise.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
I hate going to the gym. Exercising just to exercise bores the crap out of me. 2 hours of Hapkido is great, 20 minutes on a treadmill, exercise bike, lifting weights whatever and I'm ready for something interesting.

However, I've never seen a gym like runningncircles1 goes to, that might change my opinion!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I hate going to the gym during peak hours which is right after everyone gets off of work - 5:00pm - 8:00pm. Would avoid this time at all costs. I would go when the gym opens at 5:00am and/or during lunch or even during the later part of the evening after 9:00pm.

I love having my home gym where I can workout whenever I want to, as many times of the day as I want to as well. But I also love having the option of going to the gym sometimes which is why I keep my membership active. For me, there is just some spiritual calmness/energy I get when actually in a gym. I love it. But I dont love crowds of people.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
My wife and I built a home gym about 2 years ago. It has everything that I need. Just recently, I started to miss going to a gym. I travel a lot for work so when the hotel I am staying in has a less than stellar gym/fitness center I find the local gym to go to for a day or so.

I'm with Lao, stay away from any gym during the 5-8pm hours. Thankfully, I'm an early morning person - not sure how that happened!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
I hate it! But I gotta get in shape. I can't do it sitting in the house.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I have to motivate myself so much to even go to the gym, but once I'm done that half hour (or full hour) I feel accomplished and great. I mostly run on the treadmill or use the elliptical. I do like to run outside when it's not blazing hot outside.

A middle school down the road has an asphalt track that I go to, but pounding that pavement hurts my ankles and knees. I found a high school that's about a 10 min drive that has an excellent track, very comfortable and also with tennis courts. I'm looking forward to going there. On bad weather days and days where I don't feel like driving (my gym is about a mile or two away) I just head there.

Put my iPod on, and get into the zone and just run for it.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've signed up for gym memberships before, but I've always found that I can't stand going there. I don't mind the equipment and working out, it's the posers that drive me crazy! And among other things:

* People talking on cell phones on the treadmills,
* Men making lots of loud, grunting noises while lifting heavy weights
* People who sweat excessively and work on equipment I want to use
* Loud potty talk during workouts

I'd always leave the gym in a bad mood, so I finally bought some weights for working out at home and took up running.

Anyone else not like gyms?

I love going to the gym,,,
I just concentrate on working out
Im happy to see people working out, I know they care about themselves just like I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness