Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Ok, so last fall I lost about 40lbs and am currently fairly fit.

I'm thinking of actually trying to go up to the next level since I'm taking a few months off of dating etc. and will have more free-time.

Any advice? I'm currently about 5'8-5'9 and 185lbs...fairly stocky (Hugh Jackman build) and am almost 39.

I belong to a decent exercise club...I'm thinking about some classes that will get me out there on a regular basis maybe twice a week. (I already play basketball there twice a week religiously).

Also thinking about maybe doing one of those group workout share-a-trainer things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Whatever spins your wheels...nothing wrong with mixing things up and trying new things...Since you didn't mention what you've been doing previously, I don't think anybody can recommend something new to try!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Whatever spins your wheels...nothing wrong with mixing things up and trying new things...Since you didn't mention what you've been doing previously, I don't think anybody can recommend something new to try!
Lately I have only been doing basketball twice a week and some weight training mostly centering around the rubber ball stuff with hand wieghts.

Obviously, working out more often is first and foremost as the title indicates and I've just been going for "maintain".

I think I need to get in some group settings...helps with motivation and also social aspects etc. I think I'm going to look at getting in on some classes and shared trainer stuff the more I think about it.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I highly recommend doing yoga. Its a lot tougher than most people who've never tried think. The only problem is that it may be difficult for you as someone who is "taking a few months off from dating" because almost every yoga class Ive ever gone to (at least here in L.A.) is filled with nothing but really hot hot hot women. If you're a Hugh Jackman look alike, I can guarantee you that you will soon be dating again.

Yoga is a great workout that (depending on the kind) will build strength and improve your flexibility. Its also challenging as heck. You can also try signing up for martial arts lessons. You dont have to become a black belt or want to beat people up, but this is a great way to get in a new workout a couple days per week and usually will get to meet some really nice people.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I highly recommend doing yoga. Its a lot tougher than most people who've never tried think. The only problem is that it may be difficult for you as someone who is "taking a few months off from dating" because almost every yoga class Ive ever gone to (at least here in L.A.) is filled with nothing but really hot hot hot women. If you're a Hugh Jackman look alike, I can guarantee you that you will soon be dating again.

Yoga is a great workout that (depending on the kind) will build strength and improve your flexibility. Its also challenging as heck. You can also try signing up for martial arts lessons. You dont have to become a black belt or want to beat people up, but this is a great way to get in a new workout a couple days per week and usually will get to meet some really nice people.
lol...I don't look like Hugh Jackman...I'm just built like him lol....but I do ok dating. It won't be a problem and making some friends in the class will probably help when I do start dating again.

Yoga is actually a GREAT suggestion, I have a buddy in Chicago that is into it so I think I might give it a try. The martial arts things sounds good...I will look into that as well. I am going to check what classes etc. they are currently offering at the gym I go to and then go from there.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Hi Mathguy- I've recommended this one in other threads, but Krav-Maga is an excellent martial art to try. the workouts are intense, but the comraderie, not to mention the self defense and fitness benefits, as well as social aspects of it are off the charts, as far as I'm concerned. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi Mathguy- I've recommended this one in other threads, but Krav-Maga is an excellent martial art to try. the workouts are intense, but the comraderie, not to mention the self defense and fitness benefits, as well as social aspects of it are off the charts, as far as I'm concerned. Just a thought.
Cool. I'm really trying to push myself this year into trying new things so I will check it out. I actually went to Yoga last night and like it so i'm going to start going once a week. (I found out my gym has open member classes so I don't have to sign-up etc. just walk in when I can make it. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness