Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I FINALLY got a pullup bar a month ago. I lift frequently but don't work back as much as I should and am pretty weak in that dept. I could only do 4 (barely) when I first got it. Now I'm up to 11. Just wondering what other people can do to give myself a goal other than "as many as I can".

Only full pullups count too.....elbows FULLY extended, chin ABOVE the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
last time I did them I could do 12 in my first set. I do them 3 times a week with my cardio workout when the weather is decent. I was up to 15 on my first set last summer.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
13 is my record. You also have to keep your legs straight, no swinging for momentum.

Pull-ups are a lot harder than most people think. In the Marine Corps pull-ups were part of the physical fitness test with 20 considered perfect and a minimum of 3. People would act surprised when you would tell them this and be like "Hell, I could do that easily", remembering last time they did pull ups was 15 years and 50 pounds ago in high school or earlier.

I also like to watch the pull-up bar at the gym. I won't laugh at someone for simply not being able to do them, but it's funny when you get some cocky kid dressed in the height of hip-hop/MMA fashion jump up on the bar expecting to crank out a ton of pull-ups, get about half way, realize he can't do one and then look around to make sure no one is watching him fail. I'm always there making eye contact.

Five years ago I was at a hardcore show in Southern California. A local band played, one of their songs was about lifting weights. During this song a guy in the audience, presumably another Marine, jumped up and grabbed on to the rafters (ceiling wasn't too high) and did 20 perfect pull-ups. Not to be outdone, some 120lbs emo nerd jumped up to the rafters too but he only managed to get about one quarter of a pull-up. It was hilarious.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
I can only do eight or so, depending on which type I'm doing. But then again, I'm a 46 year old female so apparently eight is pretty kickin' for me. My goal is to be able to do 20.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
13 is my record. You also have to keep your legs straight, no swinging for momentum.

Pull-ups are a lot harder than most people think. In the Marine Corps pull-ups were part of the physical fitness test with 20 considered perfect and a minimum of 3. People would act surprised when you would tell them this and be like "Hell, I could do that easily", remembering last time they did pull ups was 15 years and 50 pounds ago in high school or earlier.

I also like to watch the pull-up bar at the gym. I won't laugh at someone for simply not being able to do them, but it's funny when you get some cocky kid dressed in the height of hip-hop/MMA fashion jump up on the bar expecting to crank out a ton of pull-ups, get about half way, realize he can't do one and then look around to make sure no one is watching him fail. I'm always there making eye contact.

Five years ago I was at a hardcore show in Southern California. A local band played, one of their songs was about lifting weights. During this song a guy in the audience, presumably another Marine, jumped up and grabbed on to the rafters (ceiling wasn't too high) and did 20 perfect pull-ups. Not to be outdone, some 120lbs emo nerd jumped up to the rafters too but he only managed to get about one quarter of a pull-up. It was hilarious.
I was never able to do one until I turned 30 LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
They are incredibly hard but such a good work out. I was pretty discouraged when I first attempted them but I started seeing improvements every week, which definitely helps. My second and third sets drop off considerably though but you'll have that.

I know what you mean at the gym too. In most gyms that bar doesn't see much action other than what you described. It's funny. I tried it once last year and was pretty embarrassed....but at least I don't subscribe to the "height of hip-hop/MMA fashion" and I'm faaaaar from a cocky meat head gym nut

I did some work last year at the Quantico Marine Crops base. Outside just about every building was a pullup bar. People coming and going would crank a few out and then continue on their way. I thought that was pretty cool.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Take some jujitsu and lap swimming. That will fix that. I am a girl and I can do about 15 to 25 easily. Out of shape me starts at 10. I think that makes a huge difference. Also I spent most of my youth in the pool or on a bike or climbing trees. I remember way back in highschool the only people that passed we a few basketball players, me and the other girl I was in jujitsu with. I don't remember that amount. Just the angry faces of the jocks that got "clowned" by the girl with the purple hair. LOL
And the gym teachers were loving it. LOL

Underhanded I can do a lot more than overhanded.

When you think you cant do one more takes a couple big inhales. YOU CAN!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Take some jujitsu and lap swimming. That will fix that. I am a girl and I can do about 15 to 25 easily.
Impressive. I think right now Im at 27 before I have to let go of the bar and shake out the arms before continuing. I usually do my with an overhand grip.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Take some jujitsu and lap swimming. That will fix that. I am a girl and I can do about 15 to 25 easily. Out of shape me starts at 10. I think that makes a huge difference. Also I spent most of my youth in the pool or on a bike or climbing trees. I remember way back in highschool the only people that passed we a few basketball players, me and the other girl I was in jujitsu with. I don't remember that amount. Just the angry faces of the jocks that got "clowned" by the girl with the purple hair. LOL
And the gym teachers were loving it. LOL

Underhanded I can do a lot more than overhanded.

When you think you cant do one more takes a couple big inhales. YOU CAN!
that is impressive! Good job. Swimming does give you some powerful lats.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Well in all fairness you guys are probably pulling up a lot more weight. But thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness