Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times

Advertisements

DC, there IS a certain segment of society who looks at those informercials and think "wow, maybe I should get that" and a lot of times, you DO see them posting here saying "I purchase the ........ trainer, is it any good?". I get a chuckle and usually slam the viability of those products hoping that the posters will learn something. The ONLY and I mean ONLY infomercial product that is any good is P90x. the rest are junk and again, cater to the certain segment of out of shape lazy fatties who want a quick fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,192,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
DC, there IS a certain segment of society who looks at those informercials and think "wow, maybe I should get that" and a lot of times, you DO see them posting here saying "I purchase the ........ trainer, is it any good?". I get a chuckle and usually slam the viability of those products hoping that the posters will learn something. The ONLY and I mean ONLY infomercial product that is any good is P90x. the rest are junk and again, cater to the certain segment of out of shape lazy fatties who want a quick fix.
SO TRUE. Everyone wants an 8-pack and no one wants to do the work. So they are easy pray for various "silver bullets." Pills, ab rollers, even weird electrical machines that "stimulate" your muscles (that one was always my favorite).

The bottom line is, how many people have tank-treads for abs? Not many. If it were that easy, everyone would have them. People don't want to face the fact that its hard work. Either make some lifestyle changes, or give up on the look you want - most people don't like that particular either-or .

But if any of them are reading this... its not as bad as you think. I've made a lot of changes, I'm working towards my goals. I'm making good progress. Sure, there's been a lot of changes to my diet, some I don't necessarily prefer. Sure, I work out more, but I've always been a gym rat anyway. Its not like you can never eat pizza again - you just have to be more cognizant of your choices in your daily life. Toss the ab-roller, and replace it with some willpower! Its free, and it works.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,600,195 times
I remember reading some of the reviews on Amazon for a fat loss book by Tom Venuto. Venuto is a big believer in the fundamentals, but a lot of the reviews complained that there was nothing new in his book. Nothing new? That seems to be the standard people have now. They don't want to be told that you have to eat right and exercise. Instead, they want to hear something else, something cutting edge. And when something new does come along, they fall for it. If someone told you that you could get a six-pack and never have to do cardio, of course you'd listen. And there's no shortage of people willing to tell you this if you hand over $40. I saw one book at the bookstore called "Just Say No to Cardio" and on the cover, there was a guy with washboard abs. I flipped through it and what he's basically telling the reader is to do intervals, except he does it with weights. But it's the same basic principle. There's another book called The Cardio-Free Diet which says that cardio is bad for you because it makes you hungry and more likely to eat too much. Well, that's pretty dumb. It's not the cardio making you fat. It's you eating too much afterwards. These are just two examples that spring to mind. The internet is far worse. There are so many so-called experts who think cardio is just bad and they all use the marathoner example to prove their point.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,192,872 times
Everyone is wanting a MAGIC PILL.. so therefore they try and sell people one.
I roll my eyes at the claims that cardio is bad and you don't need it to loose weight as well - im ranting with you
Every Fitness/figure/body building competitor I know... does MASS amounts of cardio...(men don't need as much as women do). (women competitors do 40 minutes in the morning and again in the evening while consuming a 3k-5k calorie diet) (Women do NOT GET BULKY - it takes LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK for these women to build mass - and the massive ones are taking supplements to asssist)..

Cardio is SOOOO important.. for heart health, for lung capacity.. I have asthma and cardio is my number 1 thing I NEED to keep up on.. GOOD cardio...

i get frustrated with the "propoganda" the media pushes on people about lifting weights, about cardio, about diet... No wonder our obesity problem is out of control.. (well not the main reason,, but I believe it contributes to it).... eat what you want and still loose weight.. loose weight without excercise... take this pill and loose weight...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM

37,460 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Go to the bookstore, look on the internet, watch some infommercials, even comb through some of the threads on this forum. I see it all the time and I roll my eyes whenever I do. The weight loss industry is a billion dollar business. Every month, some new product or exercise routine comes out claiming a revolutionary way of losing fat. What you rarely hear anymore is someone emphasizing the fundamentals. Instead, people want something new and there's always someone out there willing to give it to them. I saw one commercial for some machine where they show some guy struggling on a treadmill and the host says he's wasting his time and consuming muscle. Then he switches to the product being advertised and "magically" has 6-pack abs. It's just hilarious to see claims like this. But it's also on the internet. I'm on a mailing list and I regularly get links to download the latest eBook that shows you how can lose weight and how cardio is a waste of your time. To me, all of this is why so many people are overweight. No one wants to exercise. They want to be told that Machine X can give them a ripped physique in 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week. When I have time, I will dig up some links or book titles. It's just everywhere I look.
Oh geez...you're talking about ads for the stupid lose-weight-quick schemes. I'd hardly call that "badmouthing". There's an idiot scam for just about every facet of life. Any time that people think they can get something for free, or less work, there will someone there trying to make a dollar off of that. That's just life. Why would you even pay attention to that sort of thing? I sure don't.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM

It's badmouthing because it's putting out more misinformation. The problem these days isn't a lack of information. Most of us know how to lose weight. But so much of what we're being told is just flat out wrong. But the internet has made things worse. Someone makes a claim, it gets repeated enough times, and before you know it, everyone accepts it as fact. This happens in general and not just in the weight loss arena. But the badmouthing is there. I see it real life as well. Go to the gym and there's always some trainer there who says cardio will cause you to lose muscle. Online it's the same thing. Countless former bodybuilders or trainers peddling their fat loss solution and claiming that building muscle is the key to getting ripped. And so many will list out all the reasons cardio is bad for you.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,486,565 times
I've never heard anyone say cardio is bad but then I don't watch infomercials.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,783 times
I rode 50 mi yesterday and ran 8 today.

If cardio is "bad for me" then, well, I am going to hell in a handbasket.....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 PM

37,460 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's badmouthing because it's putting out more misinformation. The problem these days isn't a lack of information. Most of us know how to lose weight. But so much of what we're being told is just flat out wrong. But the internet has made things worse. Someone makes a claim, it gets repeated enough times, and before you know it, everyone accepts it as fact. This happens in general and not just in the weight loss arena. But the badmouthing is there. I see it real life as well. Go to the gym and there's always some trainer there who says cardio will cause you to lose muscle. Online it's the same thing. Countless former bodybuilders or trainers peddling their fat loss solution and claiming that building muscle is the key to getting ripped. And so many will list out all the reasons cardio is bad for you.
I really see no reason to be concerned about this. You know the facts. Anyone that has been successful at losing weight and getting healthy knows the facts. Anyone that is starting a program, that has any common sense, WILL find out the facts. As far as the rest...if they want to believe such garbage, they'll find out soon enough what works and what doesn't.
Sure has no impact on my life - I can't imagine that it would on yours either.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really see no reason to be concerned about this. You know the facts. Anyone that has been successful at losing weight and getting healthy knows the facts. Anyone that is starting a program, that has any common sense, WILL find out the facts. As far as the rest...if they want to believe such garbage, they'll find out soon enough what works and what doesn't.
Sure has no impact on my life - I can't imagine that it would on yours either.
It's not so much concern. It's just one of those things that bugs me. I'm sure weightlifters experienced the same thing back in the 80s when everyone was touting aerobics and if you lifted weights, you were viewed as a freak. I know what works for me and it's cardio+weights. I look at everything with a critical eye now. If some "expert" says cardio is bad for me, I just roll my eyes and ignore them. But far too many people out there are gullible and will listen to anyone who tells them what they want to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness