Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM

90 posts, read 623,191 times

Advertisements

Also, what you could try (what I have been doing for quite a while) is drinking 8-10oz of 100% pure grapefruit juice (unsweetened) at night before going to sleep. It will burn trans fat while you sleep. This was recommended to me when I was real heavy into weight lifting but professional weight lifters.

Before I started drinking this, I had plateaued at 230 lbs while trying to lose weight. When I started drinking the GFJ each night and continuing my workout and eating habits the same way, I started losing again. I am currently at 212 lbs.

A warning to you though, if you take any type of medications, double check with you doctor to see if you can drink GFJ with it. The GFJ can have one of two effects of certain drugs. It will either slow the absorption down to a turtles pace, or basically put it through your system almost instantly. Which really screws with time released meds.

Or you could incorporate 8oz of GFJ before each meal and it will kick off your metabolism to help burn some of the calories that you eat during that meal. But if you do this, make sure to follow along as if your on the grapefruit diet. Do it for 10-12 days the have 2-3 days off of it before starting back up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,439 times
The only thing that makes you lose belly fat is cardio and reduced calorie intake.

Sit ups will help tone up your stomach and strengthen your core but if you have belly fat your toned tummy muscles will be hiding under your belly fat.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
The only thing that makes you lose belly fat is cardio and reduced calorie intake.

Sit ups will help tone up your stomach and strengthen your core but if you have belly fat your toned tummy muscles will be hiding under your belly fat.
Absolutely right. You can have a perfect 6 pack, but if you still have the fat sitting there, you'll never see those beautiful muscles underneath.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Absolutely right. You can have a perfect 6 pack, but if you still have the fat sitting there, you'll never see those beautiful muscles underneath.
It is NOT easy to get those muscles to show either. Especially if you have a spouse who can eat any and everything, especially when you're on a cutting diet.

What Ive found is that the more I do my morning runs (usually around 5k) the more my abs show. I dont do any weighted ab work either except for maybe Russian twists with a plate or dumbbell.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
It is NOT easy to get those muscles to show either. Especially if you have a spouse who can eat any and everything, especially when you're on a cutting diet.

What Ive found is that the more I do my morning runs (usually around 5k) the more my abs show. I dont do any weighted ab work either except for maybe Russian twists with a plate or dumbbell.
THAT is for d@mn sure. I don't think most people have any idea how lean you have to be to show those off!!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 PM

90 posts, read 623,191 times
not only that, but there are some people who, based on genetics alone, are not even able to get them to show no matter how hard they try.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

240 posts, read 586,449 times
Default Lose that lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
NO NO NO. A thousand times no.

Crunches and situps are fine for buliding your abdominal muscles. (Planks are great too by the way...everyone should do these every day - excellent core strengthener.) But they won't burn a whole lot of calories unless you spend several hours a day at them - and I doubt you have the time to do that.

If you are trying to lose FAT, the most effective use of your time is to do high intensity cardio, as that will burn the most calories, and THAT is how you lost fat - expend more calories than you consume.
I am assuming since cardio means heart, high intensity must mean putting all your heart into losing or maintaining weight. (I'm kidding) Some of the methods people I have known (including myself) employed are-
- finding what their ideal weight is and never allowing single calorie more than that to pass their lips. Remember every calorie you eat more than you need goes to waist or somewhere else where you don't want it. If you weigh 400 pounds and you need 2000 calories a day, just eat 2000 calories a day and see how long you stay at 400 pounds.
-Count your calories for a week of what you eat now to see how many calories you eat now. No cheating now. Eat and drink exactly what you eat and drink now.
-Don't forget to count the calories from alcohol, soft drinks, flavored water and sports drinks.
-Count your calories for a week after going to the number you need to eat it's amazing how little a person HAS to eat you'll be almost sure you are going to starve to death but it won't happen.
-Very few will do these two things because they simply don't want to know or don't have the patience to do it or in other words lack the intestinal fortitude.
-if they want to commit slow suicide (like obese people are doing anyway) all these calories you need will be in the form of products containing lots of fat, carbs, and salt (pizza, fast food such as Mcdonalds and a dozen others) bologna, hot dogs, TV dinners and a host of other prepared foods that have lots of SALT and/or fat in them.
-if they want to live a long time they will be in the form of fruits, veggies and meat.
-They can get rid of all the fad diets , expensive exercise equipment, trainers etc. God gave them everything they need live a healthy life style including a brain to figure out exercises they can do without a single piece of exercise equipment and what food to stay away from and the money to buy a book on the subject if they can afford any of the above.
-Drink lots of water and forget about the goofy idea that you get enough water from the food you eat.
-I had what they called a juicerator at one time. I was unbelievable how much stuff you had to buy to make glass of juice from most everything except maybe watermelon.
-By the way alcohol consumption does not promote weigh loss but just the opposite.
-As far as the terrible burning fear of doing sit ups and leg lifts because they don't take the weight off all over. Forget it. The body draws fat from anywhere it needs to to supply fuel for the muscles you are excercising. If there isn't an ounce of fat left on your waist it'll come from somewhere else. Believe it or not muscles need calories in order to work and exist.
-Even sitting in front of the TV snapping the fingers of both hands will cause to lose weight for two reasons 1)You can't eat while you are snapping your fingers and 2) look at what the muscles and tendons in your arms are doing while you are snapping your fingers.
Having said this I realize I have made a lot of people mad who have been programmed to believe certain things and there is no changing their minds, however, maybe one person will believe some of it. I never figured out any of it by myself. Most all of came out of some sort of health book or class I have attended on weight loss.
I am a diabetic. If everyone had to live the way a diabetic has live if he is going to stay healthy, other than having diabetes, the world would have no obese people.
The best book I have found on calories and the content of food is:
Nutrition Almanac by Nutrition Search, Inc. ISBN 0-7-034905-3 pbk
McGraw-Hill published it. 1884 second edition
Mine is very old but I think I have seen a newer version on Amazon.

Last edited by 13levine; 04-10-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I've had people tell me the way to lose belly flab (fat) is to do sit up's/crunches.

Now I know this strengthens your abs, but does it really burn the flab off the belly?

If not what are some good ways to burn off belly flab?
Whoever these people are who are telling you this, never EVER take weight loss advice from them ever again. The fact that there are still people who believe in spot reduction is appalling. You'd think by now everyone would know that is a myth.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM

240 posts, read 586,449 times
Default Pot belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Whoever these people are who are telling you this, never EVER take weight loss advice from them ever again. The fact that there are still people who believe in spot reduction is appalling. You'd think by now everyone would know that is a myth.
I suppose it is kind of stupid to exercise the "spot" where most of the fat is. There is always the remote possibility I might endanger my pot belly doing that. I leg press 500 pounds repeatedly and there isn't extra an ounce of fat on my legs. What I should be exercising is my legs to lose my pot belly.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
I suppose it is kind of stupid to exercise the "spot" where most of the fat is. There is always the remote possibility I might endanger my pot belly doing that. I leg press 500 pounds repeatedly and there isn't extra an ounce of fat on my legs. What I should be exercising is my legs to lose my pot belly.
Have you ever seen anybody with "pot legs?" No? Neither have I. That's not where the fat tends to accumulate on the human body. That's why your legs aren't fat.

The only way to get rid of fat is to reduce the overall fat percentage of your body composition. Eventually diet and exercise will have that effect but you can't exercise fat away in a direct manner because you can't exercise fat period. It's fat, not muscle. You can firm and strengthen the abdominal muscles and that's a good idea for anyone. But in my experience, as I firm up the fat seems more jiggly by comparison to the firm muscle. It seems that as I lose fat, it's the cosmetically desirable fat that I lose first, but eventually my burgeoning posterior will also lose fat.

Diet and exercise. Exercise and diet. Reduce overall fat and the overly fatty body parts will eventually reduce in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness