Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
weight control is 80% diet 20% exercise.
Oh wow. And I was thinking you'd lose weight quicker if you exercised and ate junk food here and there as opposed to if you never exercised and always ate good food. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I forgot but isn't it 2200 calories a day the average human adult needs to survive?
I dont know about this. People are different so its tough to say what the average is. I know the basic body and internal functions require a certain amount of calories but to say what the average person needs I just dont know. Some people are active, some are sedentary.

Quote:
White processed food....consists of what...white bread? Or what would fall into that category?
Any and all white breads, white rice, white pastas. Potatoes and grits are okay to eat though.

Quote:
When you say sugars, you mean processed sugar like found in candy and such?
Any and ALL sugars and sweeteners. This includes sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and even fruits which should be eaten in moderation. Fruits are not free food and they are not like veggies where you can just eat as much as you want.

Quote:
I know you have all said no fast food....how do you feel about Subway? They're fast food too but some of their subs seem to be healthy.
Ive only had Subway once or twice in my life so I can really say, but sub sammiches arent exactly healthy. Just be sure to get the whole wheat bread.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

240 posts, read 586,324 times
Default A little cheap exercise goes a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
The real secret of weight loss is so easy and so well known that everyone passes it by in hopes of an easier secret...plus it doesn't sell books.

It is simply this: take in less calories than you expend.
You will see posts by my above that really upset a lot of people because they point out the fact that what you said is the absolute truth.
At this point in time the economy would collapse the rest of the way if everybody stopped buying all the weight loss garbage and gadgets and started taking off their weight with a few regular exercises. Everybody thinks it is better not to try any exercise that might be regarded as spot recduction.
One stop for one feed at a fast food joint of any description can easily give you all the carlories a person needs for most of the day. Especially a buffet (I realize that isn't classified as fast food). If everyone who is overweight quit patronizing all those places the same day they would all be closed in not much more than a month. Guess what that would do to the economy as far as unemployment would be concerned as well as all the companies that supply them and people who make and supply and deliver those supplies. So it is best no one eats healthy so our economy might be healthy again.
I forgot to mention all the wonderful things it does for the health care industry. Just think of all the areas of health care that get their boost from obesity. This includes research into all the many medical methods of losing weight, all the diseases that a fortune is spent on research. The poorly controlled diabetes, high blood pressure and all that. Although you don't have to obese to have any of these but they sure are harder to control if you are obese. I know several people who never were obese (they are skinny) that are in both catagories. Even though I am about 80 pounds lighter than I used to be I am still 20 pounds over weight and so am considered slightly obese. I personally think that most of the diabetics have inherited it because in the past many diabetics never were diagnosed so no one really know who had diabetes in the family tree. There is a huge percentage of people who are diabetics who don't know it now. I've forgotten what the percentage is but is millions of people in this country. It won't be in the family tree anywhere when they die of a heart attack (that will be cause of death)
If you click on my name I think the articles will come I wrote about how I lost weight at virtually zero cost. And remember everyone who criticized me was totally hung up on aerobics and not spot reducing. There is no such thing as being able to actuallly spot reduce unless that is the only place you have surplus weight. A lot of people seem to think the one and only way to lose weight is aerobics. I'm not sure what the difinition of aerobics is other than plenty of arm and leg waving.

Last edited by 13levine; 02-19-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
I've had people tell me the way to lose belly flab (fat) is to do sit up's/crunches.

Now I know this strengthens your abs, but does it really burn the flab off the belly?

If not what are some good ways to burn off belly flab?
abs are made in the kitchen.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Cardio, cardio or cardio. Also try cardio!!
Any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Any suggestions?
Just a bit of cardio.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
I'm 22 and I am 194. I lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks by working out and watching what I eat. =0

Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Just a bit of cardio.
But that is a broad area, mind you.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Just a bit of cardio.
What I mean is this; are you referring to running, cross-country skiing, Bicycling, swimming, step aerobics, kickboxing, jumping rope, racquetball, rock climbing, spinning, jumping jacks etc?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
Walk to the gym. Do compound weight lifting routines. Stress legs, squats, lunges, deadlifts. You'll release a ton of HGH and testosterone and that will help you lose flab. Afterward, jump rope for as long as you can. Walk home. Do that several times a week, leg workouts about three times/week hard. In a few months you'll start to see overall body definition, including your belly. Go hard as you can, little rest between sets. That'll be $300.00. Email me for the particulars....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness