Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM

18 posts, read 94,129 times

Advertisements

I generally don't work out when I feel too cruddy or weak to do so. I figure my body needs that extra energy to fight whatever has got it in the dumps. Definitely do resume your routine (ease into it) when you feel better, though. That's the tough part with me is getting back into it.

I do tend to adjust my calorie intake to compensate for it. When I'm sick I tend to want to eat less anyway, so I just kind of go with what my body is saying.

If it's an intestinal kind of thing, follow the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, tea/toast/taters. Those things are easy to digest.

For colds, eat what will make you feel better. For me it tends to be hot broths or soups in a broth base - the steam helps my sinuses some. Tea is a great thing to drink when you are congested; same thing with the steam from tea.

The thing that I have to watch out for when I'm sick is my horrible craving for carbs. I could eat a whole sleeve of crackers without blinking an eye. I have to work to make sure they're more complex than crackers and such so I don't end up with lasting carb cravings.

Stacie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 PM

51 posts, read 157,236 times
I had a head cold last all last week with the stuffy one nostril breathing. Well I felt like hell all day but when I worked out, the cold disappeared for awhile. I felt normal and could breathe. However after I cooled down and mellowed out, the boogers and snot came right back. Along with the back on my left eyeball itching. Working out made me feel a lot better. It was only a head cold though. If I was hacking and coughing, then no working out for me. I think it just depends if you feel up for it. But the majority says rest and work out when you're better. Meh...

Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
Just had a comment... I HATE people that go to the gym sick! I have asthma and getting sick is much more destructive to myself then someone who does not have asthma.
If your sick... you can still work out - at home.. please don't bring it to the gym!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Just a quick thought. A productive workout will cut into your recovery ability, as will an illness. Doing both together is probably going to have the same net effect as overtraining. I.e. net muscle loss.

I say, recover from the illness first, reduce calories if you are on a weight gain diet to avoid excess fat creation, then ramp back up when you are not ill.

Chances are overtraining may have induced the illness to start with. Tried Cybergenics years and years ago, before I knew better. About 2 weeks into it I got the worst cold of my adult life. And this was in the Summer in Florida.

Long story short, if you aren't on things like steriods, job #1 is managing you limited recovery abilities in a way that leads to gains.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
I never work out when I'm sick. Its never that serious to me. Once I get my energy back, I get back on it. I usually don't have a big appetite when I'm sick, anyway, so I really don't worry about calorie intake and all of that. My main focus is to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness