Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times

Advertisements

I felt like I was coming down with something these past two days, but worked out anyway.
Today I have a nasty full blown head cold so I haven't worked out at all today.

This is the kind of thing that has thrown me off a routine in the past because it's so hard to work out when you're feeling run down and awful.

So at what point do you start working out again? Should I just take the weekend off and try and recuperate, or should I fight for my usual Saturday work out tomorrow? I feel pretty rotten to be honest and don't want to prolong the cold by not taking sufficient recovery time?

Any thoughts? For work out regulars, how do you handle getting sick without it destroying your routine? Also do you reduce your daily calorie intake to adjust for not working out for a few days?

Thoughts or suggestions? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Personally - I don't work out when sick. Strenuous workouts, including lifting, depress your immune system in the short term. Not what you need when sick! My view is, concentrate on resting and getting well, then once you feel 100%, hit the gym and hit it hard.

That's not to say you can't do some light activity if you feel like it - go for a walk or a light bike ride or something. But ONLY if you actually feel like it. And as I said, I'd keep it light.

That's just me though.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM

103 posts, read 399,190 times
I try to workout anyway but if I'm coughing and sneezing then I wouldn't go to the gym because it's not right to get other people sick. You may want to read this article about how exercise affects the body while being sick etc. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/he...%20cold&st=cse

Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
I've had a super cold the past week I missed a couple days. It really depends on how I'm feeling. If I feel I have the energy to train then I do.
My endurance usually hurts a bit when I'm sick.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
If I just feel sick like Im coming down with a cold, headache, slight fever, or something similar I still workout.

If its a flu then I try to only do something "light" like yoga or taichi. I definitely would not go to the gym though with flu like symptoms (fever, sore throat).

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I felt like I was coming down with something these past two days, but worked out anyway.
Today I have a nasty full blown head cold so I haven't worked out at all today.

This is the kind of thing that has thrown me off a routine in the past because it's so hard to work out when you're feeling run down and awful.

So at what point do you start working out again? Should I just take the weekend off and try and recuperate, or should I fight for my usual Saturday work out tomorrow? I feel pretty rotten to be honest and don't want to prolong the cold by not taking sufficient recovery time?

Any thoughts? For work out regulars, how do you handle getting sick without it destroying your routine? Also do you reduce your daily calorie intake to adjust for not working out for a few days?

Thoughts or suggestions? TIA!
Yes I work out even when I'm feeling lousy, because I know I'll feel better when I'm done. If I am having serious symptoms like constant sneezing and a horrible drippy nose where I can't even be without a tissue, then no - I wouldn't do that to my fellow gym peeps. But I can think of maybe 2 times in the last 7 years that I've been that sick. I'm blessed with pretty good health, so generally I don't have to worry about that. Even if I injure a muscle (and I have done that) I'll continue working out just taking care with that muscle.

A workout is the quickest and surest way to feel better in a short amount of time - for me at least. You'll have to pry my gym card out of my cold dead hands.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM

I am not working out at the gym at the minute because I'm doing P90X, so I'm not worried about getting anyone else sick.

I feel pretty bad, and I didn't sleep well last night - sinuses are all messed up! I think I'm going to take off the weekend which means I will have skipped 2 workouts. It's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world either. I may do yoga again on Sunday if I feel better. If not then I'll just have to hope that I feel well enough by Monday to hit it hard.

I've still worked out 4 times this week which isn't so bad for a sick week.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
If you are feeling sick you should not be working out. Take a rest and recuperate... even when you're already well should still give it another day or two for your immune system to strengthen.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjane82 View Post
I try to workout anyway but if I'm coughing and sneezing then I wouldn't go to the gym because it's not right to get other people sick. You may want to read this article about how exercise affects the body while being sick etc. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/he...%20cold&st=cse
Good article! What I think I'll do is go for a longish walk this afternoon and re-evaluate tomorrow. Maybe I'll feel a little better by then, and I REALLY don't want to lose all the impetus I have built up.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,749 times
I still exercise when I am sick. I figure it does not take to much energy to do leg lifts or arms curls. I will not do any jumping around or crunches. I even find going for a walk good. But when I am sick I am not one to stay in my PJ's and walk around like a Zombie. I get up shower and get dressed, eat lots of oranges and I am already feeling better. But it is rare that I am sick as I take vitamins and exercise regularly and eat well. I treat a cold as an annoyance so I do what ever I can to get over it. I figure if I am able to go on the computer when I am sick a few leg lifts won't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness