Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 AM

266 posts, read 866,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenboy View Post
I have a four year old daughter. From the time of my wife's pregnancy until late 2008, I had gained roughly 21lbs. My medium frame went from a reasonable 178 (5'10") to about 199. The gain was likely from a combination of careless eating habits and loss of regular workout time. I did not like how I looked and needed to do some wardrobe updating but did not want to buy for myself at the larger sizes.

In December 2008, I decided enough is enough so I started what I call a three phase training program. Phase one was walking at work twice a day for 15 minutes each time. The pace of the walks was fast, really working up the heart rate. They aren't much in themselves but were a huge change over little, or no activity.

I did this regularly for two and a half months and without any other adjustments, I lost about five pounds. Then I started phase two, walking three times a day (15 min. each) and adding the occasional light weight / stretching workout at home.

I am now in phase three which includes the walks, light weights and dietary changes. As of 4-21-09, I have lost around ten pounds and have seen increased tone and flexibility. I have focused primarily on eating foods that are more energy efficient and don't retard the body's signal that it has eaten (See Leptin articles for more on that). The biggest objective, and challenge, was reducing sugars (See Insulin and the diet). I allow an occasional treat (say ice cream and / or pizza every other Friday). I have minimized social drinking (lot's of sugar and empty calories) and I don't start my day with anything too high in carbohydrates and refined sugar (watch those bagels people). These foods are known to actually make us feel hungrier by trigerring the body's creation of insulin which in turn, blocks leptin, a chemical that tells our body it has eaten. I start the day with something protein rich (hard boiled egg or egg whites), plain yogurt with fruit and flaxseed (for fiber and Omega 3 oil) and a food bar when a little hungrier (Atkins OK as proteins are high and sugars low). Lunch is a challenge. If fast food is the only thing available, I choose somthing like the Fresco Fiesta Chicken Burrito at Taco Bell (7 grams of fat) or the El Mexicano Bare Style Burrito at Baja Fresh (around 600 calories and low fat and carbs). Just try to make good choices. Dinner is typically a lean meat (chicken, cod, Ahi tuna or ground buffalo) with a vegetable and / or a salad. I have worked to decrease the size of the portions regardless of what I eat. As a supplement, I take a product called Juice Plus (all natural vegetable and juices in tablet form) which is supposed to boost overall immunity and give many of the desirable vitamins and minerals we need for better health.

I am shooting for 175 lbs by mid July. And yes, the walking (doing it at work is a kind of freebie and does not conflict with after work family stuff) if done agressively, is fantastic. Because I am doing this over an extended period of time, I feel I have a much better chance of keeping the weight off and am getting back into a better, more reasonable, routine.

So people. You can walk it off. It saves the knees from the pounding of running and still allows for an increased cardio rate and calorie burn.

Better food and increased activity are a winning combination.
i think its key that we find out what works for one self to get/stay healthy! It seems here that you have done just that. Great job =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
I live right around the corner from a elementary school and middle school here in Central TX. I walk every morning at around 7 a.m. School starts at 7:45 a.m.

I have a couple of neighbors who work at the middle school - which is around the corner. I have seen them drive, yes drive around the corner to go work at the school. Craziest thing ever. The walk is 10 minutes maybe 15. Can we say Lazy? The first time I saw these women drive to the middle school my jaw dropped.

Yes - we have sidewalks. Everywhere in this area. Can even walk and get an ice cream if you wanted.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM

21 posts, read 39,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I live right around the corner from a elementary school and middle school here in Central TX. I walk every morning at around 7 a.m. School starts at 7:45 a.m.

I have a couple of neighbors who work at the middle school - which is around the corner. I have seen them drive, yes drive around the corner to go work at the school. Craziest thing ever. The walk is 10 minutes maybe 15. Can we say Lazy? The first time I saw these women drive to the middle school my jaw dropped.

Yes - we have sidewalks. Everywhere in this area. Can even walk and get an ice cream if you wanted.
Not crazy at all. I see it all the time. Most of the time (special medical scenarios not included), health is not a mystery. Good dietary habits and physical activity period. Most of the time, the causes for illness are obvious. Ever seen a fat person chowing down a double double at In and Out or a sloppy Tommy's burger? Or see a heavy set person pull up to a house and honk the horn to announce their presence? I realize weight is not everything, I was just pointing out something obvious. Ever want to be "un PC" and say something to them? Like..."Put the fork down and step away from the plate" or "If you got off of your fat bottom, maybe you'd lose a few pounds".

Instead, we look to the supposed easy way out. Surgery. Miracle diets. Pills etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You have got to be kidding me? More sidewalks is your answer to America's obesity problem?

People are fat because they dont exercise. Walking is better than nothing but walking is about the bare bones minimum least effective type of exercise there is. Unless you walk 7-10 miles per day, then youre better off just have a good marathon sex session.

What about joining a gym and really exercising? What about getting on a bicycle and biking through the neighborhood? Jumping rope? I mean sidewalks, really.
Actually, no. I've been walking two miles per day for over a decade. When I go to the doctor and they take my pulse, they always ask if I'm a runner. I walk relatively fast when it's for exercise, but it's very healthy exerscise. I also work out at the gym 4 days per week, but the walking in my cardio. And if there were no sidewalks, where would I walk? In traffic? If you live in a suburban neighborhood that has no sidewalks, it's not easy to go take a walk.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenboy View Post
I have a four year old daughter. From the time of my wife's pregnancy until late 2008, I had gained roughly 21lbs. My medium frame went from a reasonable 178 (5'10") to about 199. The gain was likely from a combination of careless eating habits and loss of regular workout time. I did not like how I looked and needed to do some wardrobe updating but did not want to buy for myself at the larger sizes.

In December 2008, I decided enough is enough so I started what I call a three phase training program. Phase one was walking at work twice a day for 15 minutes each time. The pace of the walks was fast, really working up the heart rate. They aren't much in themselves but were a huge change over little, or no activity.

I did this regularly for two and a half months and without any other adjustments, I lost about five pounds. Then I started phase two, walking three times a day (15 min. each) and adding the occasional light weight / stretching workout at home.

I am now in phase three which includes the walks, light weights and dietary changes. As of 4-21-09, I have lost around ten pounds and have seen increased tone and flexibility. I have focused primarily on eating foods that are more energy efficient and don't retard the body's signal that it has eaten (See Leptin articles for more on that). The biggest objective, and challenge, was reducing sugars (See Insulin and the diet). I allow an occasional treat (say ice cream and / or pizza every other Friday). I have minimized social drinking (lot's of sugar and empty calories) and I don't start my day with anything too high in carbohydrates and refined sugar (watch those bagels people). These foods are known to actually make us feel hungrier by trigerring the body's creation of insulin which in turn, blocks leptin, a chemical that tells our body it has eaten. I start the day with something protein rich (hard boiled egg or egg whites), plain yogurt with fruit and flaxseed (for fiber and Omega 3 oil) and a food bar when a little hungrier (Atkins OK as proteins are high and sugars low). Lunch is a challenge. If fast food is the only thing available, I choose somthing like the Fresco Fiesta Chicken Burrito at Taco Bell (7 grams of fat) or the El Mexicano Bare Style Burrito at Baja Fresh (around 600 calories and low fat and carbs). Just try to make good choices. Dinner is typically a lean meat (chicken, cod, Ahi tuna or ground buffalo) with a vegetable and / or a salad. I have worked to decrease the size of the portions regardless of what I eat. As a supplement, I take a product called Juice Plus (all natural vegetable and juices in tablet form) which is supposed to boost overall immunity and give many of the desirable vitamins and minerals we need for better health.

I am shooting for 175 lbs by mid July. And yes, the walking (doing it at work is a kind of freebie and does not conflict with after work family stuff) if done agressively, is fantastic. Because I am doing this over an extended period of time, I feel I have a much better chance of keeping the weight off and am getting back into a better, more reasonable, routine.

So people. You can walk it off. It saves the knees from the pounding of running and still allows for an increased cardio rate and calorie burn.

Better food and increased activity are a winning combination.
Great job! Sounds like you're doing it the right/healthy way. I used to run, but found I enjoyed walking much more. I've never been overweight, but it helps keep me in good shape and gives me "personal time" to think.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxgirl View Post
If they are only going to the store for a couple of things why not? I know that most american's have got lazy.
I agree with you. Sidewalks are important and should have been built all along, but many places just don't have them. Any new development should be forced to include them. Your right many Americans are extremely lazy and their eating habits are even worse. Those that walk distances especially quickly and daily are generally fit people. I know I walk several miles each day, and have had to carry groceries a mile from where I live before this Safeway was built in my neighborhood. I think its long past the time to find ways to walk, and leave the car at home at least now and then.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM

221 posts, read 437,030 times
Walk on the side of the road

Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 AM

212 posts, read 754,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxgirl View Post
I can not believe that most of the cities in southeast Texas do not have sidewalks! They wonder why some american's are obese. Well, if they would build fewer fast food restaurant's and more sidewalks. Than maybe, just maybe some american's would loose a little weight. Plus if driver's would remember that if someone is walking to move over or slow down a little.
I think this is true in some ways, I have a few friends from Texas who lived with me for a year or so and they couldnt get over the fact that you dont need to drive so much in Ireland. They lost lots of weight from just walking to the shops or to work and eating way less junk food. I found it funny how their idea of walking distance at first varied greatly from my idea of walking distance. At first they thought I was mad to walk 45mins everyday to get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness