Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM

90 posts, read 623,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyboi View Post
OP stated they were a beginner.

in any event, you can use this as a guideline:
http://www.beachbody.com/text/produc...90xFitTest.pdf
I know that. Still does not mean they will not be able to do it. As I said, I have personal friends that have never had a workout or routine before that has been able to do X. Just because someone is a beginner, does not define their natural "talent."

And yes, your right. The link is a great reference. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 AM

60 posts, read 309,744 times
Was going to start this as separate thread, but I will start here. Anybody completed, or in the process of completing p90x that would consider themselves a bodybuilder, or at least living the lifestyle? I have been trying to add muscle since I started lifting 10 years ago, and from the commercial the workouts seem to be cardio oriented. I do not want to loose much muscle during the process. Those in the commercials seemed to have gained muscle mass in the process and do not look they are emaciated. Any opinions?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff822 View Post
Was going to start this as separate thread, but I will start here. Anybody completed, or in the process of completing p90x that would consider themselves a bodybuilder, or at least living the lifestyle? I have been trying to add muscle since I started lifting 10 years ago, and from the commercial the workouts seem to be cardio oriented. I do not want to loose much muscle during the process. Those in the commercials seemed to have gained muscle mass in the process and do not look they are emaciated. Any opinions?
Speaking from experience with P90X, you wont lose muscle doing it. If you keep up with the workouts 6 days a week and 1 rest day like its supposed to be done, youll lose the body fat, but not muscles. Yes, cardio is a big part of the program, but so is resistance/weights. Even doing the cardio exercises, a lot of them, although you dont think so, is in fact adding to your muscle mass and building them up (not necessarily bigger in size all the time, but stronger)

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

60 posts, read 309,744 times
thanks for the input. What would you say fitness level/intensity was prior to starting p90x? How many days were you working out? Were you incorporating cardio?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I'll chime in a little here as well. I was the same way. I have wanted to add muscle for a very long time and it has always been difficult for me. This is one program(P90X) that is not a load of crap. The pictures are all real. In less than 90 days I am bigger than I ever have been and I am ripped(and I'm in my forties). The cardio I feel is enough to shed off the body fat. The great thing is you don't even need a lot of weight. Most of what you use are dumbbells or bands. I think the kicker is the hundreds of push ups and pull ups you do in many of the workouts. Tony Horton and many of the guys in the DVDs have good size to them. They are not small guys.
Before I started the P90X I was just doing cadio stuff like running, 3-4 times per week. I have not run since. My joints feel 100% better than they did before and with the added muscle weight I have added plus with the workouts my metabolism is through the roof.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff822 View Post
thanks for the input. What would you say fitness level/intensity was prior to starting p90x? How many days were you working out? Were you incorporating cardio?
Well, as I said, I personally did P90 (First in the four different series) Then did P90 Master series, and almost done with my first round of P90X...I think I might do one more 90 day round of X before moving up to the 4th Series called P90X+

I myself would not have been able to do P90X starting off. Although I ran/worked out 5 days a week before. It really is a rough workout. What you should do is go to the link provided in heyboi's post. That is a test designed to try and see if you are able to start P90X or not. And its pretty spot on too.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I think you may find that adding in P90X+ would be helpful even now.

My understanding of P90X+ is that it is not a stand alone program, but an add-on to your P90X routine.

I am really only repeating what I was told recently by a personal trainer who answered a lot of my questions about P90X and Chalean Extreme.

BTW: Have you seen info on the new program coming out in June or July called "Insanity?" On the teaser for the new infomercial they say that you dont' have to be at any particular fitness level to start.....just start and do what you can and build up.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
Well, as I said, I personally did P90 (First in the four different series) Then did P90 Master series, and almost done with my first round of P90X...I think I might do one more 90 day round of X before moving up to the 4th Series called P90X+

I myself would not have been able to do P90X starting off. Although I ran/worked out 5 days a week before. It really is a rough workout. What you should do is go to the link provided in heyboi's post. That is a test designed to try and see if you are able to start P90X or not. And its pretty spot on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness