Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times

Advertisements

I just started back up running after NOT doing so for about a year.
I am running 4 miles at a time and about 3 or 4 days a week.
An area near the inside of my arch is KILLING me and I think it has to do with old shoes.

I am in the process of ordering some new shoes. Any reccomendations from other runnerS? I am looking for shoes with a wide toe box as I dont like my toes squished and a shoe with a breathable mesh material so my feet dont sweat.

Thanks for any opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Brooks and/or Saucony. These would be your best bet. I am always partial to Nike though even though they tend to have a shorter "shelf life" than the other brands I mentioned. But good running shoes will become good walking shoes after they've been ran in a lot.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
I would highly recommend not ordering over the internet and not taking anyone else's advice on what are "good shoes". What are great for me might be horrible for you. There are many lines out there which have excellent quality--the question is which is best for YOU.

I would go to a running store (not a "chain" store like Footlocker, but a specialized running store). Have them watch you run, see you stand, etc. They will be able to tell you, based on these things, which running shoes might work best for you. Then you can try a few, and run a bit on their treadmill, and decide which you like best. I ran for years before doing this, thinking at first it was a waste of money, but it was the best decision ever. A recurring problem I had disappeared and I have always done it this way since. The models of shoes are changing constantly (very annoying), so I redo it every time I buy new running shoes. It is SO worth it.

And make sure you don't pick based on looks (which I also used to do, to some extent). I have had some of the ugliest running shoes since going to running stores (the cute ones never seem to be what I need!) but they are fabulous. And they don't recommend just the most expensive shoes--a good running store will be very honest and ask you what type of running you do, distance, etc. and factor in your weight, gait, etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Unfortunately the only running store that i know if anywhere nearby is about a 60 minute drive from me and I don't really have the time to make the drive.
I have had good luck with Adidas in the past with roominess, but not sure they are that great for running.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Unfortunately the only running store that i know if anywhere nearby is about a 60 minute drive from me and I don't really have the time to make the drive.
I have had good luck with Adidas in the past with roominess, but not sure they are that great for running.
Ive never found a pair of Adidas that I like for running. Since you have no running store nearby just go to Footlocker and try on their running shoes. Nike+ is always a safe bet, but expect to spend about $120.

I always go to Road Runner Sports or A Snails Pace for my running shoes, but since there arent any near you, Footlocker carries decent high end running shoes (but not Brooks or Mizuno's though).

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM

anyone tried the Nike Lunartrainer+ ? They have pretty good reviews online, but I just want to make sure they aren't meant for flat feet. Because my feet are pretty neutral normal arched feet.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Nikes give me shin splints every single time. There is no "safe bet"--everyone is different. If you can't go to a store, I'd suggest looking at roadrunner sports. If you call them, explain your running habits, where your shoes show the wear (outside heel, inside heel, fairly even wear, etc), how much you weigh, what kind of terrain you run on, etc. they would be able to help you choose an appropriate shoe. They are the next best thing to going to a running store in person and the people who work there are extremely knowledgeable about running and running shoes--I've yet to speak with one who is not him/herself an avid runner. That is in contrast to Footlocker, where they know very little about running or running shoes, or what shoe might work best for the individual runner.

You can look roadrunner up at roadrunnersports dot com.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM

thanks, ill do that.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I'll second...or third...the advice about going to a running store to help you find the right shoe. Once you have a great pair, order them on-line to save money.

As an aside, I'm partial to Asics.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I second everyone's advice that a running store is really the right answer to how you find the best shoes for your feet and your running style. It really would be worth a special trip before you dish out $$$ for shoes that may or may not be the right ones for you.

I have had run in Adidas Supernovas within the past two years. I, too, like a roomy toe box and the Adidas seemed to be roomy enough. However, they have a very structured heel and midstep and though I liked it for a while, I eventually switched to Sauconys and I am so happy that I did. When I put on my old Adidas now, they feel tight and stiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness