Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,887,218 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried the Ab Circle Pro?
I saw the infomercial on tv last night and was just wondering if anyone knows if this actually works.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,953,334 times
You want strong abs? The product I would recommend would be . . . sit-ups, crunches, alternating crunches, Russian twists . . . etc.

Okay, seriously, I doubt that many, or any, gimmicky, infommercial pieces of exercise equipment are worth the money. Many are pure junk. Some might work, but no better than sticking with tried and true exercises.

I didn't spend enough time researching the Ab-Circle-Pro to get all the details, such as an answer to the question of whether the resistance can be varied, and if so, what the range of resistance settings would be. I did see a video of people using the device. With the side-to-side motion you perform on this device, it appears that if it's designed so that you can set it to the appropriate resistance for you, it could be effective for the external oblique muscles. It appears to be pretty much useless for either the six-pack or the internal obliques. Even for the external obliques, this appears to be an awkward position for getting good leverage, which would make it difficult to work out with high resistance.

In any case, you can get an effective workout for the external obliques with dumbbells, doing the exercise where you stand up, holding the weight at your side in one hand, lean to that side, and then smoothly lean toward the other side against the resistance of the weight, as if you're picking up a heavy suitcase. I've never known the name of this exercise, but I do it, and find it to be quite effective. No gimmicky apparatus will be more effective than this for the muscles in question, and a few dumbbells of varying weights will be more useful becuase of the many other exercises you can use them for. This, along with the kinds of exercises I suggested in the first paragraph, is the simple and effective way to a strong midsection.

Last edited by ogre; 05-27-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,371,677 times
I saw that exerciser as well as others late at night when I can't sleep. I thought about ordering one only I discovered their new little gimmick. They put that you can get it for $14.97 for 30 days. They don't put in big print what the device will ultimately cost. I looked up on the website and dang no way am I paying around 300 for it. I noticed they are all doing this on all of them. What a scam.

I think I will stick with my exercise dvds, walking, swimming and bike riding when I get it. It worked before and will again.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,027,611 times
What I find so funny about all these ab circles, ab blasters, ab demolishers, etc. advertised on late night infomercials is that they NEVER EVER EVER say anything about diet. That is the ONLY way you can get your abs in shape. DIET!! Most of these ab products are so gimmicky anyways that the are much less effective than real ab exercises like Ogre suggested - situps, crunches, Russian twists, etc.

Never buy "ab" products off of late night TV. Never.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,794,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
You want strong abs? The product I would recommend would be . . . sit-ups, crunches, alternating crunches, Russian twists . . . etc.
Exactly

However, there is one ab thing that I love and I personally feel that it's a "piece of work"

Anyone's ever used the Abman wheel? It's got a handle with which you wheel forwards and backwards on the floor.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,371,677 times
They do say a meal plan is included but most people miss that. And anyone who thinks that using that exerciser is going to make them look like the people in the infomercial are delusional. Most of them are models and never had a weight problem to begin with. I saw on a program where they can spray makeup on someones' stomach in such a way that it makes them look like they have a six pack ab.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 20,553 times
I think most of the infomercials are more concerned with selling you the product then how to get the best benefit .. which is why they usually leave out the diet part. I think most of the equipment should at least come with a basic dieting booklet. I picked up the ab circle pro from [url=http://www.seentvcanada.com]SeenTV Canada - As Seen on TV Infomercial Products[/url] and have to say it's a great piece of equipment. I think if your a little on the heavier side this product wouldnt be for you.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,110,029 times
I agree with my fellow posters who think these gimmicks and contraptions are a waste of money. I have seen tests of these products by fitness experts who say you can get the same benefits from crunches, hanging leg raises, etc.
There will always be someone hawking a new contraption that is "a revolutionary new way to flatten your abs." Are you going to buy every gadget that comes down the pike?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,333 times
Default ab circle

I am thinking of buying but was waiting for it to come to stores because it would cost to much to send it back. You can order on walmart and they delivery to store and Jcpenney home delivery. I happen to be academy and they just got them in so you will probably have to ask for it not on floor yet. When I get it I'll post how i like it.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM

10,184 posts, read 20,832,268 times
Aerobic and cardio exercise will help trim your waist. Your abs are relatively small muscles grouped together which do not require a lot of work to develop. Also, you have to use your abs to perform most exercises in the gym, so they are getting worked regardless. Crunches, sit-ups, leg-lifts cover it very well. Be wary of anything that claims to make it "easier" to produce six pack abs...there is no easy way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness