Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I fully agree with the above, I would simply be wary to make a recommendation for its use in a young man who is probably not ready for the kind of intense training that would justify a creatine regimine. Unless he's ready to be hitting the weights really hard and really heavy at least three days a week he probably has little use for a creatine supplement.
Agreed, that's why I said he should probably wait a year or so before hitting the creatine. At 16, he will almost certainly be physically ready to begin a serious workout regime that would benefit from creatine.

With that being said, it's not going to hurt him if he takes it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
I think supplements are unnecessary if one is eating healthy enough foods. Plenty of great natural sources of protein like MILK (!), eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, peanut butter, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I think supplements are unnecessary if one is eating healthy enough foods. Plenty of great natural sources of protein like MILK (!), eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, peanut butter, etc.
Unfortunately, that's really not true. My protein shakes contain 23g of protein per 8oz shake, and 31g if mixed with my low carb milk instead of water. To get that same amount of protein I'd have to eat roughly...

- 5 extra large eggs
- 6 oz of turkey ham or skinless chicken breast
- 24oz of 1% milk

And then all of that (except for the milk) would have to be cooked in some way, while I can mix together a protein shake in less than a minute and pour it into a container to take with me. Also the protein shakes will likely absorb faster than the protein in the food.

A normal, everyday person can get enough protein with just the diet, but anyone who is on a workout program looking to gain strength should be taking 1g of protein for every 1lb of lean body weight and unless you're taking the protein shakes, they'll be eating rather large amounts of food.

Besides, I don't know why anyone would be against the protein supplement. They're cheap (I pay $30 for a 5lb bag that lasts quite awhile) easy to make and completely safe.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why not? There are plenty of supplements out there that are plenty safe with varying degrees of usefulness.

At the very least, he should be using protein shakes and creatine would be good as well, although he might want to wait a year on that. Glutamine would be another one that he could safely take.

Vibe, here is a great page that gives you exercises by muscle group. You should alternate between upper and lower body and keep your reps low and weight high to build strength.

Bodybuilding.com - #1 Exercises Guide - Over 300 Exercises!

Because he's 15 ! can you read?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Because he's 15 ! can you read?
Being 15 is not an issue when it come to protein supplementation. As long as he is getting proper nutrition in his regular meals, and supplementing meals with protein, not replacing, there should not be a problem.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Being 15 is not an issue when it come to protein supplementation. As long as he is getting proper nutrition in his regular meals, and supplementing meals with protein, not replacing, there should not be a problem.

At 15 he has no or very little medical history. No idea if he has a genetic kidney disease predisposition. There is NO need to add even more protein to a normal diet.

It is extremely irresponsible to tell a fifteen year old to take anything without knowing a thing about him.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Furthermore, the supplement industry owns almost all of the workout-related magazines and they've brainwashed people into thinking they need more than they really do. Look at some of the guys who were in bodybuilding the 1950s and 1960s--some of them were huge and their physiques were completely natural.

The average person can get big and strong just by eating the right foods in the right amounts and doing the right exercises. It's really only that top 5% of athletes that will need the extra boost from designer supplements. The problem is that just about everyone in the gym thinks they're in that 5%, when they're obviously not.

A 15 year old kid most certainly does not need to pump himself full of supplements. Read some of Mark Rippetoe's stuff, especially his book Starting Strength and what he says about GOMAD for beginners.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
At 15 he has no or very little medical history. No idea if he has a genetic kidney disease predisposition. There is NO need to add even more protein to a normal diet.

It is extremely irresponsible to tell a fifteen year old to take anything without knowing a thing about him.
You should probably go educate yourself before you start running at the mouth about this stuff.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Furthermore, the supplement industry owns almost all of the workout-related magazines and they've brainwashed people into thinking they need more than they really do. Look at some of the guys who were in bodybuilding the 1950s and 1960s--some of them were huge and their physiques were completely natural.

The average person can get big and strong just by eating the right foods in the right amounts and doing the right exercises. It's really only that top 5% of athletes that will need the extra boost from designer supplements. The problem is that just about everyone in the gym thinks they're in that 5%, when they're obviously not.

A 15 year old kid most certainly does not need to pump himself full of supplements. Read some of Mark Rippetoe's stuff, especially his book Starting Strength and what he says about GOMAD for beginners.
There are tons of worthless supplements out there, but there are many that work very well. Protein and creatine have been proven time and time again to be effective and completely safe.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There are tons of worthless supplements out there, but there are many that work very well. Protein and creatine have been proven time and time again to be effective and completely safe.
I'll concede that much, but for the amateur trainer, which includes most people that you see in gyms, supplements aren't a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness