Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,193 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in opinions from any trainers, nutritionist, or just those who are very self educated in fitness nutrition. Various studies have been published that show high protein diets result in greater weight loss. However these are compared to high carb diets with the same amount of overall calories. I'm curious of how a lower calorie diet that is high carbs would perform when compared to a higher calorie, high protein diet.

Consider these two diets:

2000 calories, 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat
1500 calories, 25% protein, 50% carbs, 25% fat

Which diet results in greater weight loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Posted in wrong thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
2000 vs 1500?

It doesn't take a nutritionist to figure this one out.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
I'm very interested in opinions from any trainers, nutritionist, or just those who are very self educated in fitness nutrition. Various studies have been published that show high protein diets result in greater weight loss. However these are compared to high carb diets with the same amount of overall calories. I'm curious of how a lower calorie diet that is high carbs would perform when compared to a higher calorie, high protein diet.

Consider these two diets:

2000 calories, 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat
1500 calories, 25% protein, 50% carbs, 25% fat

Which diet results in greater weight loss?
Don't worry so much about percentages. You definitely want LOW fat intake. I am not talking about food labels that say "low fat", but instead I am talking about overall nutrition plan that is low in fat.

My typical "CUT" routine is a 1200-1500 calorie per day intake of:

Breakfast - Steel cut oats with few craisins; OR cottage cheese with craisins.

Snack - Half grapefruit OR CarbMaster yogurt OR air popped popcorn with garlic OR broccoli

Lunch - chicken breast with brown rice and spinach; OR chunk light tuna with kidney beans, corn and whole wheat bread; OR spinach with 3 boiled eggs and cottage cheese.

Snack - Raw Almonds OR half grapefruit OR cottage cheese with almonds

Dinner - grilled chicken or steak with brown rice or quinoa and broccoli.

Post workout shake - One cup unsweetnened almond milk with one scoop Optimum Nutrition whey protein with kale and chia seeds.

I do this in conjunction with my early morning cardio workout and evening weight/crossfit training.

Remember, you high protein does not necessarily mean high calories.

This nutrition plan has worked wonders for me and for many of my clients/students. Oh, and I am a 6' 1" tall male.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 07-03-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 02:49 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
2000 vs 1500?

It doesn't take a nutritionist to figure this one out.
Yes, it does. The 2000 calorie diet would be easier to stick to, and weight loss would be much faster, especially if the diet were combined with working out 3x/week to build lean muscle mass. The trick would be at the end, to very gradually add carbs back into the diet, so as not to gain all the weight back.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it does. The 2000 calorie diet would be easier to stick to, and weight loss would be much faster, especially if the diet were combined with working out 3x/week to build lean muscle mass. The trick would be at the end, to very gradually add carbs back into the diet, so as not to gain all the weight back.
This is true. On a low-carb diet you can eat more calories, as many as you want of certain foods, and still loose weight fast. Keeping carbs to a minimum keeps insulin levels low, which helps the body lose fat.

OP, which diet you choose depends on your comfort level. Diet #2 will result in more gradual weight loss, but you may feel better with more carbs, and fewer calories. A low carb diet causes you to be hungry in the beginning, but the body adjusts soon enough, then you really see the lbs. and the bulk (fat) come off. Working out is crucial for optimum results, though. Otherwise, you'll lose, instead of build, lean muscle mass, and you'll turn to a bowl of jello, lol.

What should help you decide is--which diet do you think you're most likely to stay with.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:08 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This is true. On a low-carb diet you can eat more calories, as many as you want of certain foods, and still loose weight fast. Keeping carbs to a minimum keeps insulin levels low, which helps the body lose fat.

OP, which diet you choose depends on your comfort level. Diet #2 will result in more gradual weight loss, but you may feel better with more carbs, and fewer calories. A low carb diet causes you to be hungry in the beginning, but the body adjusts soon enough, then you really see the lbs. and the bulk (fat) come off. Working out is crucial for optimum results, though. Otherwise, you'll lose, instead of build, lean muscle mass, and you'll turn to a bowl of jello, lol.

What should help you decide is--which diet do you think you're most likely to stay with.
I'm on diet 2 right now. There is a lot research out there though saying higher protein in the diet increases fat loss, so I was just wondering if adding in 500 cals of protein (WITHOUT REDUCING ANY CURRENT CALORIES OR CARBS) would be beneficial or harmful for optimum weight/fat loss. Protein is good, but it is an additional 500 calories per day that I worry could slow down fat loss.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
I'm on diet 2 right now. There is a lot research out there though saying higher protein in the diet increases fat loss, so I was just wondering if adding in 500 cals of protein (WITHOUT REDUCING ANY CURRENT CALORIES OR CARBS) would be beneficial or harmful for optimum weight/fat loss. Protein is good, but it is an additional 500 calories per day that I worry could slow down fat loss.
To do the higher-protein, low-carb diet right, you should follow a detailed program. You can try the Paleo Diet, South Beach diet, or "Protein Power", avail on Amazon.

You can't wing it on your own, making up a low-carb/high protein diet if you want good results. The proportions have to be right to get the chemical/hormonal balance right. It's a precise science. AFAIK, anyway.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

500 calorie deficient and you're going to tell me that you'll lose weight faster adding 500 calories more? Funny, Ruth.

If both diets were at 2000 calories, yes, adding more protein, eliminating carbs will accelerate fat burn/weight loss faster (body uses more energy in digesting solid protein vs simple/complex carbs) But we are talking about eliminating 500 calories; that's a lot of calories

For sheer weight loss, going deficient will always produce better results than adding.

Of course, all this is just my opinion and experience.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
I lifted weights when younger with a power lifter and a body builder.
It was two different disciplines - power lifter ate like a football player as he burned up the calories. Body builder ate a lot while building mass but cut back to chicken, tuna, beans and broccoli when he was cutting up. Both were using steroids and that has crazy results as well. They got huge. Not this kid, I was all natural. I got mass but not on that scale. I am still 6'1" and 225#.

I balanced between the two but to this day retain the knowledge you must take in less calories than you burn to lose weight.
I eat a cup of oatmeal(precooked) with a spoonful of fruit preserves every morning, something light such as Greek yogurt for lunch/snacks and drink a lot of water. Chicken or tuna is great for dinner. I quit eating bread and other wheat products containing gluten. I eat lots of fruit/veggies and beans are great for you.

Carbs turn to sugar and then to fat. Cut back on them and realize the difference. The real killer is sugary drinks as they contain HFCS which knocks your whole diet out of whack. People looking for diabetes drink lots of them and eat lots of processed foods.
IMO carb diet isn't the way to go unless you are looking to gain weight or running/biking a lot. I mean burning all of the calories, which is harder than you think.

Sorry if any was confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness