Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

When I get up in the morning, my lower back is stiff, and sometimes it's hard for me to get out of bed without holding onto something, and I have to take a hot shower to get moving. After that, I'm ok until the next morning.

I just joined the Y near where I live, and would like to start utilizing their classes next week.

They have a pool, but I'm not a water person. They also have a weight room and the following classes, and how often they're given:

Sit and Get Fit - 3x week
Step Aerobics - 3x week
Yoga - 2x week
Tai Chi - 2x week
Kickboxing -2x week
Cardio-Kickboxing - 1x week
Low Impact Aerobics - 1x week
Introduction to Weight Training - 1x week

I know that as a couch potato, I won't be able to take the Kickboxing classes for a while, so can anyone suggest what classes could I start with a couple time a week that won't kill me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
I say do the yoga and tai chi for a couple months, then start with the cardio kickboxing classes.

The yoga should help you develop more strength and flexibility.
The taichi should improve your balance, strengthen your leg muscles and increase your energy levels. It will also train you to breathe so that you can really oxygenate your body.

Once you get the basics of these down then you should start the cardio kickboxing. Dont worry if you are unable to complete an entire class, the main thing will be that you ARE DOING IT!!

Good luck!!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 AM

Thanks, I was thinking of the Yoga. I don't know if the low impact aerobics would do anything for me, though. I belonged to 24hr fitness about 5 years ago, and I liked the kickboxing classes, but they were so crowded that you couldn't move.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Thanks, I was thinking of the Yoga. I don't know if the low impact aerobics would do anything for me, though. I belonged to 24hr fitness about 5 years ago, and I liked the kickboxing classes, but they were so crowded that you couldn't move.
My dad had a corroded disk in his neck which apparently hurts pretty bad especially since when it's collapsed it pinches nerves that effect the entire body and I was able to, finally, get him to use an inversion table. He loved it and it really helped heal his back (along with cortisone shots).

As far as workouts make sure you clear everything with a doctor...any kind of injurty that includes or incorporates your spinal cord (like the back) is scary so be sure you at least let your doctor know what you plan on doing in the gym. After that, since it's been a while, start out slow and take beginer classes, talk to a trainer at your gym and see what classes they recomend but in general, low impact/beginer classes would be perfect for a week or two just to get you back into a routine.

Best of luck ....

Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
First of all make sure there's not something wrong with your back before you start.

Then start out with easy walking -- all that's required is a decent pair of shoes. Build up speed and distance gradually. Yoga would be great to help with flexibility and strength.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the help, it's all greatly appreciated. The only thing that's wrong with me is lack of exercise, and arthirits. Next month, when I can afford it, I plan to schedule an appointment with a trainer. The appointments are $50 each.

I don't plan to do anything strenuous, but I really dislike walking as an exercise, the only time that I do it, is when my car is in the shop, and I walk home from leaving it off, and walking to retrieve it. I used to be an avid biker - I used to bike back and forth to work, and everywhere else that I could. But my bicycle riding days of using one for transportation are over. About 10 years ago, I was riding past an office building driveway, and was hit by a pickup truck. Luckily, she was going slow, and my injuries weren't serious. But my left knee blew up like a balloon, had to be drained, and I had three months of physical therapy on it.

I'm going to to try to make the two evening Yoga classes whch are Monday and Fridays, and the day Tai-Chi classes until I go back to work in the fall. After I go back to work, I'll walk at lunchtime for excercise.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Back pain means you need to see a Dr. and/or chiropractor before commiting to any type of exercise routine. No matter how much you hate swimming it is the best low impact cardio you can possibly do and works all kinds of back muscles you would normally have trouble reaching. Go find an attractive partner to swim after to give you motivation.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
If arthritis is a problem, look into water aerobics -- even if you're not a pool person, you might enjoy it.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Swimming is fine for some people, but I never learned how to, don't like it, and don't plan to learn. They do have water aerobics, but I have to see what times are on the schedule. I'll be starting with either the Yoga class tonight, or the Tai-Chi class tomorrow morning.

To Jason28, you must be fairly young to make comments about swimming after an attractive partner. Those comments aren't related to the postings.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
I would use a back extension machine with low weights to strengthen the abdomin and the lower back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness