Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 PM

47 posts, read 234,360 times

Advertisements

here's my solution to this so called "disease". SHUT UR MOUTH AND STOP PUTTING FOOD IN IT!!!!! miracles will happen to ur weight ........ it will go down! not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,814 times
A lot of food is designed to get people to eat - not just one. Cookies, potato chips etc.... Fat, sugar, salt. Food is everywhere and cheap. There is a dollar menu everywhere and a fast food place on every other corner. Some restaurant portions are insane and it's just fat, sugar, salt. All of which makes a person crave, fat, sugar salt.

Anyway, I believe it's a combination of things. Depression, will power and some people may just give up. It may not be "rocket science". But then again it's not that simple for some people. If it were that simple there would not be a epidemic of obesity.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
The people I know who have weight problems eat too much of the wrong foods and don't exercise enough. It doesn't seem anymore complicated than that.
Yep. Couch potatoes with a remote in one hand and cell phone in the other to order food delivery. They never have to get up, except to answer the door when the food arrives.
I work in a hospital. Part of my assignment is to accompany funeral directors to the morgue when picking up bodies. Two months ago we had a huge project; a 748 pound man (he was only 24) who died on the operating table. No body bag was big enough, he was covered only with white sheets.
It took 8 people to slide him from the hospital bed onto the gurney. Then the body had to be exactly centered (gurneys are narrow) so that the body wouldn't fall off during transport to the van.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
its all mental, to start 2009 i was at 302lbs and right now i am at 218...just had it one day and decided that who i was on that day is not who i am and wanted to be...also did it the natural way...i eat about 1500cals a day...dont take any pills or anything...just worked hard at the gym every single day.
SouthCity, congrats on your weight loss. You are an inspiration to many, and your weight loss illustrates how will-power and tenacity can lead to weight loss. Best of luck on your continued weight loss and weight loss maintenance.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 PM

50 posts, read 150,153 times
Hello all you people out there that can talk about someone elese problems as if they aren't there.
I am one of these people that you all are talking about. DO ANY OF YOU have some problem that you can not cope that you know that the ONLY people that understand you are the people with the same disease?? Yes, I said DISEASE!!!!!
DaBeez seems to understand. Yes, it's EXACTLY the same as ANY addiction. People that drink too much, use drugs,gamble,people hooked on sex and many many other addictions.
The one of the sadest things about this particular disease is that you can't hide it like you can the others. And people are cruel they laugh, point and generally make people with this disease feel even worse about themselves than they already do.Would they do that to someone bald from cancer or dibeates or ALS. or some crippled person.This is a crippling disease and if you don't think so try and REALLY get to know someone with this addiction. I've ALWAYS had this disease and I've gone from 97lbs. to 237lbs and up and down my whole life and if you think I could change this damn thing just because I "want to be healthy" you are sadly mistaken. I have seen shrinks that specialize in eating disorders~~~~~ it doesn't help. It's so easy for people that have NO IDEA what so ever of what they are talking about to open their big mouths and say things that they have NO clue about. Hey guys take the log out of your own eyes and leave the splinter to others. I have gone both ways with anarexia and obesity and I know it's a mental disorder. Why the hell are you all talking about something that you don't know about. Is it because it's easier to point to other rather than take care of your own problems??

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
SouthCity, congrats on your weight loss. You are an inspiration to many, and your weight loss illustrates how will-power and tenacity can lead to weight loss. Best of luck on your continued weight loss and weight loss maintenance.
thanks my inspiration was my younger brother..he was at 265 and now he is 185, solid as rock...I spend last 4 years away at school, which was part of the problem, i cant cook ..so a lot of fast food, i kept making the usual excuses that people make when they try to lose weight...some just give up and are set with the way they are...but i wasnt ready for that...I knew that i could do this ..My goal is 185 by end of September sry if it sounds like i am talking myself up...but i deserve it, 85pounds in 6months is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,626 times
Food cna be an addiction, I have watched my beautiful mother strugle with this all of my life, right now she is doing really well she has lost 50 lbs in 6 months, has overcame a mini stroke she had in December and is walking in a marthon in Chicago in July. I am so proud of her and of the help that my sisster has given her(her running?walking buddy) People are mean because they are just mean. I hated it when people would coment on my Mom's weight it would hurt me to see her hurt. As for me I have to watch myself, because if I am not carefull I could easily go to the annorexa side of the spectrum. Both are not good and both have to do with alot of times a deep emotional hurt.

Blessings Michelleleigh

Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymaster View Post
Hello all you people out there that can talk about someone elese problems as if they aren't there.
I am one of these people that you all are talking about. DO ANY OF YOU have some problem that you can not cope that you know that the ONLY people that understand you are the people with the same disease?? Yes, I said DISEASE!!!!!
DaBeez seems to understand. Yes, it's EXACTLY the same as ANY addiction. People that drink too much, use drugs,gamble,people hooked on sex and many many other addictions.
The one of the sadest things about this particular disease is that you can't hide it like you can the others. And people are cruel they laugh, point and generally make people with this disease feel even worse about themselves than they already do.Would they do that to someone bald from cancer or dibeates or ALS. or some crippled person.This is a crippling disease and if you don't think so try and REALLY get to know someone with this addiction. I've ALWAYS had this disease and I've gone from 97lbs. to 237lbs and up and down my whole life and if you think I could change this damn thing just because I "want to be healthy" you are sadly mistaken. I have seen shrinks that specialize in eating disorders~~~~~ it doesn't help. It's so easy for people that have NO IDEA what so ever of what they are talking about to open their big mouths and say things that they have NO clue about. Hey guys take the log out of your own eyes and leave the splinter to others. I have gone both ways with anarexia and obesity and I know it's a mental disorder. Why the hell are you all talking about something that you don't know about. Is it because it's easier to point to other rather than take care of your own problems??
What kind of effort are you putting to help yourself with this disease. I've been overweight my whole childhood. It wasn't till highschool I started changing my lifestyle so I can join the military. Then even after I joined the military my weight fluctuated from 150lbs to 196lbs. However, at 196, I felt very sluggish, my wife noticed my weight gain and I just didn't feel good about myself. Then I just changed my eating habits, I think before I eat; I remind myself that I eat to fuel my body and not to comfort myself. You know what, I end up still being hungry but I know it's good for me. Then, after 2 weeks or so your body gets used to your new caloric intake and adapts, I have a small stomach now but it took time.

The thing with me was when I work out I thought I'd make huge changes within a month then I'd see no real significant gains so I'd stop the workouts and diets. But now I realize it's a long term goal from 1-3 years. I'm happy now with the workouts and my new eating habits.

I'm still addicted to food, but I have portion control.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymaster View Post

Wow....relax. Bottom line is that, as with any addiction, your choices NEVER cease to exist. You have the choice as to whether you allow this disorder to consume you....sounds like it has. Many people have struggled with their weight and come out the other end like champs....it's not easy, never was and never will be but, it IS a CHOICE that only you can make. It's so sad to me to see people who think that they are stuck with the situation they are in because it's a "disease", which it’s not btw….... a disease is when you have something like AIDS or Cancer that you CAN'T do anything about...I’m sorry but controlling your weight is nothing compared to those two things and IMHO..it's horrible of you to compare something as fixable as a weight issue to some child in the hospital dying of leukemia and she's fighting every day for her life...absolutely ridiculously friggin sad ...Weight is about motivation.....when you truly have had enough...when you truly are sick to death of it....when you TRULY decide to change things........you will. End of Discussion.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Wow....relax. Bottom line is that, as with any addiction, your choices NEVER cease to exist. You have the choice as to whether you allow this disorder to consume you....sounds like it has. Many people have struggled with their weight and come out the other end like champs....it's not easy, never was and never will be but, it IS a CHOICE that only you can make. It's so sad to me to see people who think that they are stuck with the situation they are in because it's a "disease", which it’s not btw….... a disease is when you have something like AIDS or Cancer that you CAN'T do anything about...I’m sorry but controlling your weight is nothing compared to those two things and IMHO..it's horrible of you to compare something as fixable as a weight issue to some child in the hospital dying of leukemia and she's fighting every day for her life...absolutely ridiculously friggin sad ...Weight is about motivation.....when you truly have had enough...when you truly are sick to death of it....when you TRULY decide to change things........you will. End of Discussion.
Lola cuts to the heart of the issue here. I strongly believe that obesity is not a disease. To conceptualize it this way is to take complete responsibility away from the individual. How do you motivate a person to lose weight (and how do they motivate themselves) when a "disease model" takes complete control away from the individual?

As I mentioned before, I also do not think that obesity is a mental illness. Clearly obesity can be symptomatic of an underlying mental illness (that I cannot argue with). But, I also think that this is the exception rather than the rule.

In most cases, people have control over their behaviors. And yes, in most cases of obesity, people have to learn to exercise control over their eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness