Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,604,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Howard View Post
I prefer a during and post-workout shake. If you want science, go to Lyle McDonald's board and ask him personally, as he's studied the topic pretty extensively:

Around Workout Nutrition While Dieting - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Thanks. I had read this article before as Lyle McDonald is one expert whose writing is part my regular reading. But ultimately, results are what indicates if you're on the right path or not. I will try eliminating the shake and see how the quality of my workout is affected and whether I observe any fat loss. I should be able to adjust quickly if I see any problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,520,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
For the last few months, I've been working to add some muscle and the post-workout shake has made a huge difference. But now it's time to start cutting down again and I'm wondering whether I should continue having the post-workout shake or just go back to eating all natural foods. I read conflicting advice on this issue. Some say that if you're not trying to gain muscle, just lose fat, then you shouldn't bother having the post-workout shake. Others say that after any weight training session, even one that's not geared towards muscle gain, a post-workout shake is a must to prevent muscle loss. For the experienced lifters here, what's your recommendation and can you give me clear scientific explanations? Obviously, I don't want to lose the muscle that I just worked to put on. But at the same time, I don't want to be taking in extra calories unnecessarily.
you should have the post workout shake whenever lifting weights. you may as well maximize the benefits of the workout by getting the protein. if you want to cut, then cut in other places, not there.

also, what is the benefit of "all natural foods." you get to pay extra for a label that means absolutely nothing when it comes to your body composition? my mom thinks natural peanut butter is healthy, it makes her just as fat as the standard skippy does. natural = zero benefit

Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,948,123 times
Gotta agree that the all natural food lables is a joke. While the benefit of so-called all natural foods may be limited, the very definite benefit of eating organically grown food ( especially if you know the grower ), is that you cut waaay down on the amount of pesticides, and other poisons entering your body. Given a choice, and having the financial wherewithall, I just about always go the organic route. You either pay the price on the front end with higher food costs or pay it on the back end with sickness, doctor-hospital-drug bills, and physical suffering.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-11-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you should have the post workout shake whenever lifting weights. you may as well maximize the benefits of the workout by getting the protein. if you want to cut, then cut in other places, not there.

also, what is the benefit of "all natural foods." you get to pay extra for a label that means absolutely nothing when it comes to your body composition? my mom thinks natural peanut butter is healthy, it makes her just as fat as the standard skippy does. natural = zero benefit
When I say "all natural", I'm talking about foods that occur in nature, like fruits, veggies, meat, etc. Protein powder is loaded with all sorts of man-made chemicals that over time will catch up with you. While you may be concerned with body composition, some of us are also concerned about our health. Whey is derived cheese-making. I know most of us have been raised to believe dairy is good for us, I think it qualifies as processed food that man should not be eating. After all, it's meant for cows and infant cows at that.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,984,963 times
Quote:
When I say "all natural", I'm talking about foods that occur in nature, like fruits, veggies, meat, etc. Protein powder is loaded with all sorts of man-made chemicals that over time will catch up with you. While you may be concerned with body composition, some of us are also concerned about our health. Whey is derived cheese-making. I know most of us have been raised to believe dairy is good for us, I think it qualifies as processed food that man should not be eating. After all, it's meant for cows and infant cows at that.
Wow.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
are you referring to cow's milk as a man-made chemical?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,984,963 times
Quote:
All I can say is I hope he has good luck, because he's going to need it to get the results he wants.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Protein powder is loaded with all sorts of man-made chemicals that over time will catch up with you.
what are the "man-made chemicals" in protein powder and what is the evidence they are bad for your health over time?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 AM

45 posts, read 98,821 times
Quote:
What guru told you this nonsense?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Cow's milk is loaded with hormones and antibiotics. Many people have developed allergies to processed dairy which manifests itself in all sorts of ways including digestive problems and acne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
All I can say is I hope he has good luck, because he's going to need it to get the results he wants.
Thanks, but I'm doing just fine.

Quote:
what are the "man-made chemicals" in protein powder and what is the evidence they are bad for your health over time?
Read the label. Here's what one protein powder has listed.

Apt Full Spectrum Whey Peptides {modified molecular weight and partially pre-digested (hydrolyzed) Whey Protein Concentrate (incl. - 14% glycomacropeptides {MW-6,700D}), 100% non-denatured Whey Protein Isolate (98% pure protein dry basis), Whey Glutamine Peptides (incl. natural glutamine peptides), L-taurine, L-leucine, L-phenylalanine}, Glutasynth (d-glucose, l-glutamine, oligofructose, glutamine peptides), Lecithin, ZinMag-6 (magnesium oxide, magnesium asparate, zinc aspartate, pyridoxine), malic acid, dried cream extract, potassium chloride, natural vitamin E, lactoperoxidase.

Do things like magnesium asparate, pyridoxine, and lactoperoxidase sound like they can be found in nature? As for evidence that these are harmful substances, do you really need to wait for a study to prove that something is harmful before you stop using it? Some chemicals take years, even decades, before their effects are fully felt. So while you don't feel anything now, it could catch up with you 10 or 20 years from now. Mercury is a perfect example of that. Many people are now suffering from mercury poisoning after eating contaminated fish their whole lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Howard View Post
What guru told you this nonsense?
Dermatologists and gasteroenterologists, folks like myself who developed dairy allergies as adults, people who've watched their health dramatically improve just by eliminating dairy from their diet. Seriously, what other animal consumes the milk of another animal? Adult cows don't even drink their own milk. People need to stop listening to BS the dairy industry puts out and paying attention to that silly food pyramid, which itself is just a product of big industry lobbying and start using common sense. Maybe if they did, people would be in better health and shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness