Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

70 posts, read 211,644 times

Advertisements

A lot of people say that it isn't on ESPN anymore because of the use of steroids and abuse of other supplements, but what if it never happened? Would it still be as popular? People also say that if bodybuilders weren't as big as they are (Ronnie Coleman for example) bodybuilding wouldn't be as popular either way. Personally guys like Bob Paris, Robby Robinson and Lee Haney are the top three ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Personally, I liked the look of earlier bodybuilders like Steve Reeves. Not so much bulk, but rather a more natural muscular look. I find the unnnatural massiveness of todays top bodybuilders rather repulsive. Who in their right mind would want to carry around all of that excess body weight and put so much unnecessary strain on their organs? IMO, ya gotta be a little bit crazy to do something like that to your body.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM

[quote=CosmicWizard;9555652]Personally, I liked the look of earlier bodybuilders like Steve Reeves. Not so much bulk, but rather a more natural muscular look. I find the unnnatural massiveness of todays top bodybuilders rather repulsive. Who in their right mind would want to carry around all of that excess body weight and put so much unnecessary strain on their organs? IMO, ya gotta be a little bit crazy to do something like that to your body.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. It seems like the word proportional was thrown out the window. Don't get me wrong there are a few guys that seem to resemble a "classic" frame, such Darrem Charles,Troy Alves and Melvin Anthony. But symmetry and proportion should restore bodybuilding as far as i'm concerned

Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Actually, its not on ESPN or any other channel for that matter because it got very poor ratings. I wouldnt watch it because I just dont enjoy watching guys walk around in little underwear flexing. Sure it would have been nice for guys like Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler to become household names like Schwartzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and Lee Haney, but people just arent interested in bodybuilding as a spectator sport.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM

At one point there was a show hosted by Flex Magazine, that was all about bodybuilding that actually showed people the correct way to work out that was ver good. I'm not really talking about competitions as much as I am regarding the shows where they actually lifting weights

Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locest View Post
At one point there was a show hosted by Flex Magazine, that was all about bodybuilding that actually showed people the correct way to work out that was ver good. I'm not really talking about competitions as much as I am regarding the shows where they actually lifting weights
Oh, you mean Powerlifting competitions and not Bodybuilding competitions.

On one of the ESPN channels they still show the World Strongman Championships which are very entertaining to watch. There's always some guy from Poland or Hungary who takes the prize.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
I have no idea how popular it would be however, I can honestly say certain competitions should be on ESPN at the very least. ESPN has poker games on for crying out loud. I would think a program that had instruction and or new workout ideas would be popular as well as useful.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I didn't know anyone still watched ESPN....

Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,583 times
For anyone who has never been to a local bodybuilding contest.It is NOTHING like the pro contests.I was a part of what is a very closed & tight knit society for years.The people who attend local contests are for the most part,a part of this society.People mostly want to see the freeks.ALL pro bodybuilder are on the juice,and most of the non-pros are also.The AAU stopped bodybuilding in the 90s because they started drug testing and had so many lawsuits pending.Pro bodybuilding will NEVER be considered a sport unless they clean up the drugs.Then no one would watch a contest on tv because there were no freeks.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I have no idea how popular it would be however, I can honestly say certain competitions should be on ESPN at the very least. ESPN has poker games on for crying out loud. I would think a program that had instruction and or new workout ideas would be popular as well as useful.
I remember in the late 80s-early 90s, ESPN would show Denise Austin, Gilad and Ana in Bodyshaping, Corey Everson had a show, and I think Kiana took it over. So for about 2 hours every morning, you could work out and specifically learn how to target certain areas.

Honestly, there's nothing interesting about watching people pose and show their muscles. At least the fitness competitions, where the women show some type of aerobic/stregth/dance/gymnastic skills are entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness