Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times

Advertisements

Which gets you better resuls at weight loss or is it just about personal preference? Its getting way too hot for me to be jogging here in GA and I am looking to buy a piece of cardio equipment for me to workout indoors. Suggestions...please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,516 times
I think that the elliptical machine burns more calories per minute but it really is a personal preference since you burn nothing on a machine that you don't like and won't use.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 34,662 times
This is true. You have to like the machine you are going to be working on. With that said, elliptical machines to burn more calories per minute and it's low impact. But one of the best things you can do to maintain your health and loose some weight is walk. If you get a treadmill walking at an incline is excellent for calorie burn and your health.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,264 times
I think it depends on intensity. Those guys in the speed cycle class are hard core. But maybe on average the elliptical machine may burn more because you can use your arms.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Love the eliptical....the rowing machine is also great....those are my two choices as far as machine cardio goes.

Best of luck

Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
I like the elliptical and the stairmill is a beast. A wonderful beast.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM

195 posts, read 668,730 times
elliptical would burn the most calories but I actually enjoy the bike the most. Buy a week pass to gym and try them all. Then search on craigslist, people are always selling stuff like this for next to nothing.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 PM

314 posts, read 935,674 times
I have an elliptical and a bike but I never get on the bike, its just so boring so the elliptical would be my favorite.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
The calorie burn comes down to heartrate. It doesn't really matter which you get from a calorie standpoint, if you want to burn a certain amount of calories, get a Polar heartrate monitor and base your exercise on your heartrate.

Most importantly, get what you like. If you don't like, you won't use it no matter how great you think the machine is when you buy it.

I've owned a bike, used almost every quality elliptical ever built (I used to sell high end equipment like Precor, Life Fitness, Octane, etc.) and used tons of treamills. Personally I like treadmills best because I like to run. I bought the bike years ago because I did not have space for a treadmill. Just sold the bike a little while back because surprise! I never used it and always ended up running outside or on the treadmill at the gym.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Which gets you better resuls at weight loss or is it just about personal preference? Its getting way too hot for me to be jogging here in GA and I am looking to buy a piece of cardio equipment for me to workout indoors. Suggestions...please
My preference would be (in order):

1. Rower
2. Jump Rope
3. Elliptical
4. Treadmill
5. Bike

Pound for pound as far as machines/equipment goes, nothing beats the rower for cardio work. Jumping rope is fun but more difficult than when we were kids. The problem I have with ellipticals and treadmills is that the ONLY ones worth getting all cost $1800 - $3000. Most of what sells below that amount is usually borderline junk that will not hold up well to daily use.

My suggestion is to find a reputable fitness dealer in your area and choose one day to go in (dressed in workout gear) and spend an hour or so on an elliptical. Next day, go back and spend the same amount of time on Elliptical, then do the same the next day on the bike and make your own opinion of what YOU prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness