Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,375,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think you're either into swimming or you're not. Glass, since you did it as a kid, you'd probably take to it again right away.

I swim freestyle laps 5 mornings a week. Sometimes I can push to 40-45 min, but usually I only last 25-30 min. I am a plodder but do try to get the cardio going for awhile at least. The swim team practices next to me and they are an inspiration.

This is really my only exercise other than walking, but I am in pretty good shape.

LaoTzuMindFu, I wish we had our own lap pool. Maybe someday if we win the lottery...
I ised to swim for an hour straight. I alternate between breaststroke and backstroke and freestyle. 50 m of each before I switch. But i was only 15 at the time. Now i could maybe last 30 minutes. 45 if I do breaststroke only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM

687 posts, read 2,120,246 times
I'd recommend alternating swimming with weights. Most swimmers do some weights to enhance their swimming. Since swimming is not a weight bearing exercise, it does not offer much protection against bone loss (a concern for women).

I alternate easy swim days (where i just swim about a mile non stop, but at a relaxed, meditative pace), with hard swim days (sprints), and an occasional wt training day (which i detest)

Good luck with your swimming!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,949,223 times
i just recently got back into swimming. Been doing a 500m Combat Swim about 4-5 days a week.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
i just recently got back into swimming. Been doing a 500m Combat Swim about 4-5 days a week.
What's a combat swim??

Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 AM

it's a swimming stroke/technique that the Navy Seals use. Look it up on youtube. It's hard to get the hang of. It's a stroke designed to allow long distance swims with full gear.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
it's a swimming stroke/technique that the Navy Seals use. Look it up on youtube. It's hard to get the hang of. It's a stroke designed to allow long distance swims with full gear.
Tank you wcu25rs. Def not for me then. I'd swim naked if I could, w/o all the encumbrances of gear and clothes . And of course, no fighting for me, in or out of the water .

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,491,764 times
Quote:
Are you planning on needing to do this stroke for any particular reason?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Actually, the youtube vid that i watched (navy seal training) didn't mention anything about swimming with gear. Focus was on technique -- which is the same technique taught in tri-swim programs. Except that the swimmer shown on the video turns his face all the way up to breathe. Michael Phelps and Olympic swimmers train so that only half of their goggles are above water when they turn to breathe. More efficient that way. But I guess when you're in full gear and weighted down, turning face all the way up might be the best way to get a good breath.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Are you planning on needing to do this stroke for any particular reason?
nope. My brother in law is getting ready to go in the Navy, and then to the Seals, so I started doing it with him just for the heck of it. After practicing at it for about 2 weeks, we finally got it. But it's alot more fun to do than just normal strokes, which is why I do it. Also, I definitely dont do it with gear on, I just swim the stroke.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Actually, the youtube vid that i watched (navy seal training) didn't mention anything about swimming with gear. Focus was on technique -- which is the same technique taught in tri-swim programs. Except that the swimmer shown on the video turns his face all the way up to breathe. Michael Phelps and Olympic swimmers train so that only half of their goggles are above water when they turn to breathe. More efficient that way. But I guess when you're in full gear and weighted down, turning face all the way up might be the best way to get a good breath.
They do swim in gear....that's what it was designed around. That's how they would swim if dropped offshore to swim in. Now for first while of training, they dont swim in gear. But as far as Olympic swimmers and how they breathe....you have to keep in mind that it is more efficient for them and their stroke. Different stroke=possibly different but just as efficient breathing technique. I would tend to believe that the Navy Seals know what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness