Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,351 times

Advertisements

At what age did you begin exercising?

What is your main routine and do you think its ever too late to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Ive been exercising my entire life. Even when I was a kid (5-7 years old maybe) my younger brother and I would watch old reruns of Jack LaLane and workout with him. Then, we'd go in the backyard and lift rocks/stones like we were weight lifters. We'd wake up, do a bunch of jumping jacks, pushups, etc then we'd do our weight lifting.

That is the earliest I can remember exercising.

My current routines vary depending on my goal at the time (cutting, bulking, maintaining, etc.) and Im always varying it. Some days I workout extra hard, others I do light workouts, sometimes I take days off.

Basically Its this:

Every morning: Cardio - this can be running (usually 3 miles for time), jump rope, martial arts routines, rounds on the heavy bag.

Two-Three days per week: Heavy HIT (High Intensity Training). This involves heavy weights always to failure with no more than 8-10 reps per set. Only one set per exercise is performed but that is really all that is needed do to the high intensity of the workout.

Two-Three days per week: Crossfit exercises. Great fitness workouts that IMO are the best that Ive ever seen. This is functional fitness, not body building which is why I like it.

Other days times of the day: Martial arts training. Karate, Kung Fu, Taichi and Qigong.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,264 times
I been exercising since I was a kid. Me and the other kids in my neighborhood didn't really think of it as exercise back then, we were just going outside to have some fun.

Today I exercise 3-5 days a week. It just depends on time.

It goes something like this:

Sundays - I usually do bench presses, military presses, and maybe some tricep work. If the weather isn't too crappy, I'll go to the park for some b-ball, or for a run or walk.

Monday - Deadlifts. I usually add stuff like a Farmer's Walk to this, but not much else. Deadlifts are tough!

Tuesday - Friday - I try to fit in time for running/walking. Sometimes I'll mess around with different weightlifting experiments and use those days for it.

Saturday - Morning run.

I don't currently do squats due to not being a member of a gym and having a squat rack.

You're never too old to exercise. Of course you should get yourself checked out before you start. Exercising wouldn't do you much good if you ended up killing over or blowing out a knee or back.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
I've started, and stopped, and started, and stopped... over the years. As a kid I was into cheerleading, gymnastics, and swimming.

As a teen I did nothing.

In my late teens I started doing Middle Eastern Dance, and danced daily, and was in great shape. I did that for a long time. After having kids I did various things (aerobics, walking, etc).

Then I had years of sitting on my butt. In the past year I've just tried to keep myself moving. Last Spring I walked, a lot, and did yoga. This summer I've taken swimming class, water aerobics, and yoga. Monday through Friday, averaging 3 hours a day of doing something. Water aerobics and swim class is over for me so I am doing an hour of yoga a day plus an hour in the school gym, and I mix that up, with various machines (cycling, step, and weights).

I don't ever think it's too late. I wish I'd started earlier and been more consistent, only to be a better example to my kids.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
At what age did you begin exercising?

What is your main routine and do you think its ever too late to start?
I started running when I was 25 (I'm about twice that now). Started going to the gym around the same time.

No, it is never too late to start!! Get out there!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 53,453 times
One thing is certain you are never to old. You can build or tone muscle at any age. You just have to be motivated and get out there and do it.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Age 8, when I started playing football.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,350 times
It's never too late to start Lovinsat,

I am well we'll just say late thirties rather early thirties. I started out as a kid. I would play outdoors from sun up til sun down. Everything from hide and go seek to tag to war, etc. Play in the pool, river, climb mts.

I was always doing something. All of my friends seemed to carry the same interests. We were not homebodies.

I did some gymnastics as a 9-10 year old.

Around the age of 13, same age as I got into wrestling, I became friends with a neighbor who was an amateur weight lifter. He showed me how to properly build muscle or weight lift, whichever you prefer. I took that information and used it my whole life.

I wrestled, weightlifted, and ran x-country and spring track from 8th grade through twelve.

After highscool I continued to run, wrestled in college and work out and eat right.

To this day I am not at all overweight. I was working out rigorously until last year when I injured an area within my left pectoral. I haven't been able to weight lift since. I still do cardio. I walk about 3 and a half miles a day. I prefer to do this at night. I continue to eat right.

When I was an avid runner, I would eat a lot of carobhydrates, especially the day before a meet. When I wrestled in high school and college, I learned to master the art of losing weight. Although admittingly I never had it too difficult to make weight.

I personally think it helps if you are active at an early age. It also helps to exercise consistently through the years. Even those who workout on and off through the years have a much better chance at avoiding certain physical ailments when they get older. Be smart though, and listen to your body. If something feels off, lay off that body part for a while to prevent any injury. But don't confuse typical workout soreness with that of something being wrong. Your aim is to be tired and sore after a workout. That coincides with a good workout.

Good luck, with finding your own program that works for you.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 08-11-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,060 times
Pretty much all my life.

I remember in 1st grade having races with some of my classmates, in the school yard before school started, at P.E. class, recess, and after school too.

I was also involved in gymnastics and ballet for a year too. At that time, my favorite athlete was Mary Lou Retton. I used to love copying her, after I watched her in the 1984 Olympics when I was 8 years old. At that time, my parents bought me her autobiography as a Christmas presents for me in 1984!! I was so grateful! I read that entire book, even though, some of the words I didn't understand what they meant.

But by the time I was 10, puberty was fixing to start (I was wearing a training bra by then). So, I had to give up the ballet and gymnastics. So, instead, I took up running. Had been a runner/jogger ever since. I ran in the junior high team, high school team, and in the Army you run everywhere just about.

About the time I got to high school I had also taken up volleyball and tennis.

These days, I'm still an avid jogger/runner, but have also incorporated fitness walking into my routine also, for a change of pace on some days.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,803 times
I don't think you are ever too old to start exercising. I have always been active, I think when I was younger I never realized I was exercising because I was just always doing something (i.e. volleyball, softball, tennis, swimming). Now that I am older and work a desk job I have to make sure I exercise to make up for the 9.5 hours I sit at a desk 5 days a week. Currently I run M,W,F and then strength train for 30 minutes. On T, Th I take a boxing or kickboxing class (with the actual gloves and heavy bag and all that). The weekends I'm either going out to dance or running around and don't really eat much so I either don't do any structured exercise or sometimes I'll take another boxing class or do pilates or yoga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness