Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,416 times

Advertisements

yeah i think for me at least, that has been true. when trying to lose weight i notice i can lose a pound a week with diet and exercise as well as diet alone. maybe inches are gone though so i dont know. i force myself to work out regularly though just because i know i should do it.

it sucks how i am never one of those people who can lose 2 pounds a week. i lose weight so darn slowly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 AM

90 posts, read 623,048 times
It is total BS. I personally have lost 20+ lbs with JUST exercising. My food type and amount stayed the same while I worked out and STILL lost the weight.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,149 times
Apparently the OP doesn't know how to read. The article states that people barely lose weight because they eat more after they work out.

Exercise will keep you healthy and help you lose weight as long as you have a proper diet consisting of healthy choices. Diet is probably the biggest reason why people are fat.

I hope an overweight person doesn't read this article and gives up on their weightloss goal, that would be sad.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,610 times
My biggest weightloss to date has come from both dieting and exercising. I've lost weight just dieting but I've never lost weight with exercise alone.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times

Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran9 View Post
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-2,00.html - broken link)

I have always known this. I am an 6'0 athletic young male who could eat all the fast food in the world and throughout my life I have always by been anywhere from 155 to 170 lbs. There is only one way to lose weight and that is basically not to eat. If you are destined to be overweight or obese you should accept it, unless you go on a major diet that consists of not eating anything. When a woman bears children, naturally she gains big time weight. Unless she does not eat anything, she is pretty much going to be overweight or obese for the rest of there lives.

The only thing exercise is good for is to build up your stamina and endurance. You exercise to stay in shape not to lose weight. So if you are a woman who weighs 250 lbs and if you think working out or exercising would help you lose pounds you would be extremely disappointed.

You are either destined to be you natural size based on genetics and/or other factors. Most people who try to escape what they are will be disappointed greatly with there results. I say this is the curse for all the the things human beings have done in the past.
Two things IMMEDIATELY invalidate this article for me.

1) "I don't think most people would appreciate that, wow, you only burned 200 or 300 calories, which you're going to neutralize with just half that muffin."

Anyone with common sense and a serious focus on nutrition and health, DOES understand this. He assumes that everyone is an idiot.

2) "After all, doesn't exercise turn fat to muscle"

You have GOT to be kidding me.

This is simply one man's bent logic to justify sitting around on his arse. More power to him. I will stick with my workouts, thank you very much.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,920,670 times
Is the OP out of his mind???!!! I know forum rules says you're not supposed to personally attack posters, just respectfully disagree to their ideas but come on!! He's just really stretching it!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
Is the OP out of his mind???!!! I know forum rules says you're not supposed to personally attack posters, just respectfully disagree to their ideas but come on!! He's just really stretching it!
I have now seen this article posted here on CD three separate times. I am sure it is making the rounds all over on various other forums. Unfortunately people give credence to such nonsense by posting it, and there will be a few folks that will grant themselves permission to become a couch potato (marshmallow) because of it.

Those of us that know better, simply will ignore it.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Well its the truth. To lose weight you eat less than your activity level. People use the excuse they can't lose weight because they can't workout all the time. " I dont have time to workout"

I am sure we have heard that one before.

One of the ways people go about weightloss is "I will just workout" ignoring the fact that whats on the plate matters too.

I thought the "brown fat" factoid on rats was interesting too!

I have to wonder why we have so much of it in youth ourselves and it just goes away with adulthood?

I also thought that the study on showing HITT kidstyle (lol) makes kids healthy just as much as long term exercise.

and

"Because exercise depletes not just the body's muscles but the brain's self-control "muscle" as well"

(from time article)

From what I got out of it:

You do not need to kill yourself in the gym to lose weight
You can not ever think the gym cancels out a bad diet
Working out can change your mindset for the good or bad, so watch for that

I dont know why people are getting all ignorant about it..I mean really...

I think its giving anyone a good reason to do ANYTHING but sit there and not try something.

You do not have to be a gym bunny to not be fat.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
I think exercise does matter, but some folks ideal weight is heavier than others. I like the body fat analysis approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness