Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I disagree. You WILL Lose weight with proper diet and exercise. If you burn more calories than you take in you WILL lose weight.
Most people get over weight because they eat 50 cal a day more then they need, this builds up over many years. If this is the case using 600 cal per workout can help you loose a lot of weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 PM

467 posts, read 713,315 times
I went to a camp where they focused on exercise, and you being active all throughout the day, then you get a break at night and on sundays. You have to control what you eat, and exercise on a daily and weekly basis. I lost 40 pounds in 6 weeks doing what they told me to, and I've lost 10 more since mid august. I feel that if you work at eating right and exercising and exercising all of your muscle groups, you will succeed in losing the pounds. I'm fat, but I play sports and exercise a lot, and you just have to be smart and watch what you're doing.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerakk View Post
okay guys.... this article states the truth...... there have been 2 times in my life that i dropped 40 lbs.... and NEITHER time did i exercise at all........ once i lost all the fat, then i would hit the gym and build muscle... but once i tried losing weight by hitting the gym.... it didnt work, i was always starving BIG TIME.... so, to get skinny and LOSE WEIGHT.... dont exercise... just change what you are eating...
I've gotten regular exercise most of my life, and find that this is all it takes for me to maintain a good weight. A few times I've had injuries severe enough that I've had to lay off exercise for a while. It's pretty simple. I try to eat healthful foods, but I also eat my fill and do not count calories. When I exercise, I stay at a good weight. When I get hurt and have to be less physically active, I gain weight, until I'm recovered enough from the injury to get back to some vigorous exercise. Then I drop back gradually to a good weight, and stabilize at that good degree of trim once I reach it. All of this without paying attention to calorie intake but just eating until I'm full. Apparently my experience is the opposite of Rogerakk's. Every body is different. This means that generalizations often are inaccurate, because there will be many people whose experiences will vary. This includes the general conclusions in that article. The article might be correct that in some cases heavy exercise revs up hunger enough to lead to so much gorging that it more than cancels out the calorie burn from the exercise. There will be numerous exceptions, though, so this article really needs to be taken with many grains of salt.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
"Naturally" thin people tend to be more active than fat people so I think exercise and physical activity does play a role, but as I have said before in other threads you cannot work off a bad diet. You could not exercise enough in a single day to work off a large pizza or bucket of fried chicken.

Personally I think in terms of weight loss, your diet, i.e. what you eat, is about 70% of it and exercise is about 30% of it. Exercise can bridge the gap and waste enough calories to help you lose weight if you are trying to lose it, and exercise can definitely help you keep it off. I exercise regularly even though I am at my goal weight. I sleep better, feel better, and have more energy when I exercise regularly. That is something that diet, at least for me, cannot help me with.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerakk View Post
okay guys.... this article states the truth...... there have been 2 times in my life that i dropped 40 lbs.... and NEITHER time did i exercise at all........ once i lost all the fat, then i would hit the gym and build muscle... but once i tried losing weight by hitting the gym.... it didnt work, i was always starving BIG TIME.... so, to get skinny and LOSE WEIGHT.... dont exercise... just change what you are eating...
Great way to achieve the yo-yo effect. WHat you are missing is that the scale alone is not the guide. The waistline and how toned you look are more accurate guides. Why? Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you hit the gym and start gaining weight, but your waistline decreases and you look better in the mirror-isn't that what counts?
I do NOT want to be skinny. I want to look fit and toned and have a healthy weight in relation to my height and bone density (BMI?)

Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran9 View Post
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-2,00.html - broken link)

I have always known this. I am an 6'0 athletic young male who could eat all the fast food in the world and throughout my life I have always by been anywhere from 155 to 170 lbs. There is only one way to lose weight and that is basically not to eat. If you are destined to be overweight or obese you should accept it, unless you go on a major diet that consists of not eating anything. When a woman bears children, naturally she gains big time weight. Unless she does not eat anything, she is pretty much going to be overweight or obese for the rest of there lives.

The only thing exercise is good for is to build up your stamina and endurance. You exercise to stay in shape not to lose weight. So if you are a woman who weighs 250 lbs and if you think working out or exercising would help you lose pounds you would be extremely disappointed.

You are either destined to be you natural size based on genetics and/or other factors. Most people who try to escape what they are will be disappointed greatly with there results. I say this is the curse for all the the things human beings have done in the past.
Ridiculous.

You excercise , you burn calories, you lose weight. As long as you are eating right too.

The physical education teachers in the US are obviously not doing their job correctly. People don't even understand the very basics.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Ridiculous.

You excercise , you burn calories, you lose weight. As long as you are eating right too.

The physical education teachers in the US are obviously not doing their job correctly. People don't even understand the very basics.

The key phrase being "as long as you're eating right". A healthy diet is the most efficient way to lose weight. While exercise is beneficial to our health, most people do not lose weight by exercising alone. However many people have lost weight by dieting alone.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The key phrase being "as long as you're eating right". A healthy diet is the most efficient way to lose weight. While exercise is beneficial to our health, most people do not lose weight by exercising alone. However many people have lost weight by dieting alone.
Excercise and diet are equally important.

It's very simple. You burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight.

So burning calories through excercise, and eating less calories are both equally important. If you only do one or the other, your progress will be slowed down drastically. Both are essential if you actually want to lose weight fast.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Excercise and diet are equally important.

It's very simple. You burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight.

So burning calories through excercise, and eating less calories are both equally important. If you only do one or the other, your progress will be slowed down drastically. Both are essential if you actually want to lose weight fast.
True, doing both is the best way to lose weight. However if we compare the two when done alone, it is easier to cut out 500 calories a day rather than burning it all off. This is especially true if a person is too obese to be active.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Often what happens is when people take up an exercise program to lose weight, it also increases their appetite, so they start taking in more calories than they are burning and never see the benefit of exercise. You need to stress your heart and muscles, exert yourself on a steady basis in order to see results. Also, stay off the scale for a few weeks. Weighing yourself every day is no good. Check your progess every two weeks or so. Some people also think that just because they are participating in a physical activity...jogging, biking, circuit training etc., that they are promised results. You have to push yourself. Jogging at a very slow pace for a couple of miles without incorporating some sprints will not increase your cardio resistance. A leisurely bike ride on a flat path is not going to burn the same calories as a rigorous bike ride with hills and alternating your speed/pace. When I'm done with a workout, my clothes are soaked in sweat. If you are leaving the gym with a slight "glow" and trying to lose weight, you didn't work out hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness