Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times

Advertisements

I have this issue when I get down to a certain BF%. If I do not throw up I have to stop and just let my heart rate go back down or I will throw up.

What is that? Dehydration for less BF? Increased metab that comes with a leaner mass switching to fat burning and making me sick? I sip water as I go and do not water load or eat before. (i like to wait at least an hour before doing anything cardio related)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,733 times
are you breathing right? exhale on the lift.

What is your diet like? How long do you wait to work out after you ate?

This happened to me once but I had eaten some seriously nasty Thai food about 30 mins before.

You might mention this to your doc if none of the above apply.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
I'm no doctor, but it sounds like your body is telling you to STOP!!!! What is your BF%? That is not normal. Regardless, you are either overdoing it or need to see a doctor.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
I've been running for 25 years (5K/10K/13.1) and here are my suggestions:

Have a small amount of water prior to exercise to maintain a hydration balance, and perhaps a banana, bagel or low-sugar fruit/granola bar.
During your session, stay hydrated with a low-sodium/sugar sport drink, such as Propel.
If you're still having issues with vomiting, reduce the intensity of your workout or consult a trainer/physician.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM

I always had this since highschool. My BF is in the 18-20% range as far as my readings go via my scale and the measure tape navy way for females. This happen when I drop below the 22% level.

I did my HR and it hits after about 15 minutes of being at a 55% (for out of shape crappies like me)
I slow down and it has been getting less and less. It actually was not that bad tonight. Just FYI i am stage two of coming back from being totally immobile. I would say low fitness cardio level with medium muscular (if that makes any sense)

Diet at the moment is zig zagging cals: 1000/1800q.o.d. (up to 2000-2200 on days I am hungry/wt- 115-123atm depending on the scale)
I would say it is carb heavy. I can't do low carb at lower weights. It makes me feel like crap. I cardio on the high calorie days. My cardio is a mag resis. bike.

I don't actually throw up. I did in track whenever sprint training started though..lol
But I feel it and I can stand that nausea feeling. I get freaked like its just going fly out..bleh

Strength training does not make me feel sick at all. Nor does any other normal daily activity. I also excercise in AC so its not the heat.

I am going to try the banana deal and see how that goes. Half before/half after. Thanks for the tip!

Breath...um..I should pay attention to that one...I dont really. I know I have the terrible habit of holding my breath during crunches...maybe I am doing it on the bike too....

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 08-17-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
I get that way myself usually after/during a REALLY REALLY tough workout. Not much you can do other than dial down the intensity level of your training.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Thats what I am thinking too....not like dial it down but just cut down for a few minutes till it passes like I have been doing. Plus nanannanananas!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I have this issue when I get down to a certain BF%. If I do not throw up I have to stop and just let my heart rate go back down or I will throw up.

What is that? Dehydration for less BF? Increased metab that comes with a leaner mass switching to fat burning and making me sick? I sip water as I go and do not water load or eat before. (i like to wait at least an hour before doing anything cardio related)
Do you make sure you don't have undigested food before the work-out?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:26 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:
I always had this since highschool. My BF is in the 18-20% range as far as my readings go via my scale and the measure tape navy way for females. This happen when I drop below the 22% level.

I did my HR and it hits after about 15 minutes of being at a 55% (for out of shape crappies like me)
I slow down and it has been getting less and less. It actually was not that bad tonight. Just FYI i am stage two of coming back from being totally immobile. I would say low fitness cardio level with medium muscular (if that makes any sense)

Diet at the moment is zig zagging cals: 1000/1800q.o.d. (up to 2000-2200 on days I am hungry/wt- 115-123atm depending on the scale)
I would say it is carb heavy. I can't do low carb at lower weights. It makes me feel like crap. I cardio on the high calorie days. My cardio is a mag resis. bike.

I don't actually throw up. I did in track whenever sprint training started though..lol
But I feel it and I can stand that nausea feeling. I get freaked like its just going fly out..bleh

Strength training does not make me feel sick at all. Nor does any other normal daily activity. I also excercise in AC so its not the heat.

I am going to try the banana deal and see how that goes. Half before/half after. Thanks for the tip!

Breath...um..I should pay attention to that one...I dont really. I know I have the terrible habit of holding my breath during crunches...maybe I am doing it on the bike too....
Mmmmm... Your BF% is normal. 55% of your max hr is pretty moderate, maybe even "light" cardio. Just scale back for a while and don't eat anything for a couple hours before. One of my running buddies swears that he can't eat or drink anything for at least 2 hours before running. We meet on the weekend moning to do trail runs, he shows up with an empty stomach. I usually have a small breakfast, some coffee and a cup of water about an hour before. I guess everyone is different. If it persists, I would definitely see a doctor though.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,964 times
Quote:

Are you talking full-on, stomach emptying vomiting, or are you talking "urps" (like burps, only with a bonus if you know what I mean).

When you say 55%....55% of what...max HR? How did you measure max HR? If your number is what off, then that could cause you to exercise harder than you should be and can cause upset stomach as others have mentioned. Are you familiar with Perceived Exertion (PE)? If so is your PE in line with what your HR monitor is telling you?

Lasting...the whole BF% versus vomiting thing....I'm guessing these aren't really related and more correlative than anything. Perhaps when you get back in shape you gain the aerobic capacity to push past your limits and make yourself sick? Along with that exercise and getting back in shape you are decreasing your BF% along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness